Canada Kicks Ass
Good books on Canadian history, especially WW2

MCooper @ Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:30 pm

Hello there.

As I already mentioned in my introductory post, me and my older brother are both interested in Canadian culture and history. The latter counts more for my brother.

His birthday is coming up this month so I thought about a decent book an Canadian history, mainly about the WW2 and the military. Can anybody here can give me a good recommendation? This would be highly appreciated.

Mel.

martin14 @ Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:25 pm

Hi Mel.

Marching As to War: Canada's Turbulent Years, 1899-1953

Author is Pierre Burton

You should be able to buy it on Amazon.

DrCaleb @ Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:31 am

Hi Mel,

It's not a book, but if you can find the videos, the 1973 series "World at War", and book by the same name, is a very in depth look at WWII from the perspective of Britain. And the History of Britain and Canada are heavily linked. It includes hours and hours of film shot by war photographers, and is though to be the best chronicle of the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_at_War

The last two episodes, "Final Solution" parts 1 and 2, are very hard to watch. As they should be. :(

MCooper @ Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:56 pm

martin14 martin14:
Hi Mel.

Author is Pierre Burton

Alright. Thanks. I also found another one called Canada's Epic World War II Battle.

Any opinion on that?

MCooper @ Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:58 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Hi Mel,

It's not a book, but if you can find the videos, the 1973 series "World at War", and book by the same name, is a very in depth look at WWII from the perspective of Britain. And the History of Britain and Canada are heavily linked. It includes hours and hours of film shot by war photographers, and is though to be the best chronicle of the time.

The last two episodes, "Final Solution" parts 1 and 2, are very hard to watch. As they should be. :(

That really sounds interesting and I'll check it out. But I'm looking for a real book as a birthday present for my oder brother.

martin14 @ Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:36 pm

MCooper MCooper:
martin14 martin14:
Hi Mel.

Author is Pierre Burton

Alright. Thanks. I also found another one called Canada's Epic World War II Battle.

Any opinion on that?

It's one battle in one town in one country during one week in 1943.

We did a bit more than that during the war. ;)

I picked Burton's book because it is important to understand Canada's war contributions in context of a very young country over a period of time from Confederation when we got started as a country.
Especially for Brits, who were still in the full throes of Empire, their point
of view on the history is completely different.

I also picked it because Pierre Burton is without question one of the absolute best writers Canada has.

MCooper @ Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:08 pm

martin14 martin14:
It's one battle in one town in one country during one week in 1943.

We did a bit more than that during the war. ;)

I picked and purchased Burton's book from here: http://www.for-sale.ie/ I got this book because it is important to understand Canada's war contributions in the context of a very young country over a period of time from Confederation when we got started as a country.
Especially for Brits, who were still in the full throes of Empire, their point
of view on the history is completely different.

I also picked it because Pierre Burton is without question one of the absolute best writers Canada has.

Alright. Then I'll get this one.

prairiechickin @ Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:51 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Hi Mel,

Very much agree with this assessment, I remember watching this as a kid, it made a deep impression on me. The music score alone is amazing.

And another mention for the OP, but sorry I don't have an author or title. Just a few years back a Canadian historian finally got to crack the Dieppe file and finally figured out what that waste of lives was all about. Its an amazing story, I was gobsmakked when I finally heard what they were really trying to do. Its one of the last great stories of WWII.