Canada Kicks Ass
Lockheed offers F-22/F-35 hybrid for Japan's next fighter

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

BartSimpson @ Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:41 pm

Robair Robair:
That's the opposite of a good idea. That's a Trump idea.

How else are you going to keep out all the cheese?

CDN_PATRIOT @ Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:12 pm

Robair Robair:
So just to recap, the American contractor that wants to sell us an overpriced jet we don't need while simultaneously attacking our aerospace sector (Bombardier) is one option.

SAAB with a reasonably priced, very capable jet, a history of teaming up with Bombardier, and the desire to further integrate with Bombardier is the other option.

No brainer.

And if you'd paid any attention to our ongoing fighter jet issues, you'd already know that a single-engine warplane makes zero sense for us. With the size of our airspace and rugged terrain from coast to coast to coast, a two-engine craft is vital.

All the more reason to watch the F-15X program. It would fit our needs well.

-J.

BartSimpson @ Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:15 pm

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
And if you'd paid any attention to our ongoing fighter jet issues, you'd already know that a single-engine warplane makes zero sense for us. With the size of our airspace and rugged terrain from coast to coast to coast, a two-engine craft is vital.

All the more reason to watch the F-15X program. It would fit our needs well.

-J.

He doesn't care about the role for Canada's fighters and he doesn't care about pilot safety. If a couple of mean old military types die in the north in order to prove some point to Donald Trump then that's all that matters.

:|

Robair @ Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:35 pm

You do realize the Gripen was made by Swedes for Sweden, right?

It is an arctic patrol machine among other things.

My gripe isn't with trump so much as it is with his apologist supporters.

BartSimpson @ Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:40 pm

Robair Robair:
You do realize the Gripen was made by Swedes for Sweden, right?

It is an arctic patrol machine among other things.

Sweden (450,295 km2) is ridiculously small compared to Canada (9,984,670 km2). They have the ability to quickly rescue their downed pilots almost anywhere in their territory.

With Canada your pilots may be on their own for a day or so until a rescue effort can be mounted. That's kind of shitty in -40C weather. :roll:

Or you might even call in the US to help.

In any case, the reasoning for a two-engine fighter makes sense for Canada.

BartSimpson @ Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:46 pm

Robair Robair:

So because you hate the people who support Trump you want Canadian pilots to fly around one of the largest countries in the world in an aircraft designed to protect some of the smallest countries in the world?

Because FUCK TRUMP, right?

Hey, you know what? Donald Trump goes CRAZY when people hit themselves in the head with a hammer!

You should STAND UP TO TRUMP by hitting yourself in the head with a hammer! That'll show him! [B-o]

Robair @ Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:53 pm

Rafale, Typhoon, plenty of options that are not Lockheed, the company that tried to sink Bombardier.

My memory isn't that short and I'm not so good at forgive and forget. That move cost Lockheed already, Trump's bullshit will cost America as well.

The ill will is going to show up in dollar figures eventually.

llama66 @ Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:58 pm

SU-57!

Thanos @ Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:12 pm

Robair Robair:
My memory isn't that short and I'm not so good at forgive and forget...the ill will is going to show up in dollar figures eventually.

Ditto.

R=UP

Winnipegger @ Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:15 pm

Now Northrop Grumman Wants to Build Japan's New Fighter Jet
Jul 9, 2018

$1:
U.S. defense giant Northrop Grumman says it is “very interested” in Japan’s F-3 program to build the nation a new fighter jet, setting up Northrop to compete against Lockheed Martin. Such a battle could mirror one that took place in the 1990s and resulted in the U.S. Air Force’s F-22 Raptor.
Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman went head-to-head back in the early 1990s during the Advanced Tactical Fighter competition. After a fly-off between LockMart’s YF-22 and Northrop’s YF-23, the YF-22 was declared the winner and went on to become the F-22 Raptor.
One possibility is the resurrection of the YF-23 design, with modernized electronics and a Japanese engine. (One positive outcome of the ATD-X program has been Japanese advances in high performance jet engines.) If that’s Northrop’s proposal, then we could be living through the 1990s all over again, pitting Son of F-22/F-35 versus a reincarnated Son of YF-23.

llama66 @ Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:19 am

DrCaleb @ Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:41 am

Leading edge flaps are just the coolest. 8)

Robair @ Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:14 am

Sorry, but with his transparent as glass demand that allies up defense spending, when all he's doing is trying to force demand for American made weapons.
Then at the same time starting a trade war with those same "allies". I'm not interested in much of anything made in the USA.
I want my tax dollars going somewhere else thanks.

llama66 @ Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:29 am

We could, if our government wanted to, buy
German Tanks and Small Arms
Swedish IFVs
South African Armoured Vehicles
French Helicopters and Ships
Russian Aircraft and Helicopters
British light vehicles
Norwiegen Ships

llama66 @ Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:55 am

And realistically Russian Jets make more sense for Canada anyways. They're designed to operate over long distances and they operate better in the cold.

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next