Canada Kicks Ass
Lockheed offers F-22/F-35 hybrid for Japan's next fighter

Previous  1  2  3  4  5

llama66 @ Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:58 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
llama66 llama66:
In some ways I wish we were not right next to you so we would be forced to stand on our own.

Absent our proximity I expect Canada would look more like Australia with a serious attack submarine fleet and a well equipped and practiced army and air force.

Australia, like Canada, first and foremost should have top of the line navies and air forces, as it's better to fit an enemy BEFORE they invade.

Their navy is comparable to Canada's, with 10 frigates, 1 destroyer and 6 subs (RCN has 12 frigates and 2 subs, with 3 destroyers planned for the 2020s). Honestly, I thought it was larger. Their air force is much more impressive, with 6 AWACs aircraft, P-8 Poseidons, F-35s (66 on order), 24 Super Hornets (and 54 old Hornets), and 8 C-17s.

Our army is well equipped, courtesy of our time in Afghanistan. They've got state of the art tanks, artillery, and all sorts of other gear to support that mission. Air force assets like C-17s and Chinooks were also added, making it pretty deployable compared to even just 20 years ago.

The problem is Canada has the world's longest coast line and should have even better naval and air forces, which sadly the past couple governments have allowed to deteriorate.

Harper should have gotten new DDHs and AORs for the navy fast tracked, but instead focused on the AOPVs (slushbreakers). And Trudeau's minimal increases have not fast-tracked naval or air assets either.

The Aussies also have 2 LHDs

bootlegga @ Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:57 pm

llama66 llama66:
bootlegga bootlegga:
Australia, like Canada, first and foremost should have top of the line navies and air forces, as it's better to fit an enemy BEFORE they invade.

Their navy is comparable to Canada's, with 10 frigates, 1 destroyer and 6 subs (RCN has 12 frigates and 2 subs, with 3 destroyers planned for the 2020s). Honestly, I thought it was larger. Their air force is much more impressive, with 6 AWACs aircraft, P-8 Poseidons, F-35s (66 on order), 24 Super Hornets (and 54 old Hornets), and 8 C-17s.

Our army is well equipped, courtesy of our time in Afghanistan. They've got state of the art tanks, artillery, and all sorts of other gear to support that mission. Air force assets like C-17s and Chinooks were also added, making it pretty deployable compared to even just 20 years ago.

The problem is Canada has the world's longest coast line and should have even better naval and air forces, which sadly the past couple governments have allowed to deteriorate.

Harper should have gotten new DDHs and AORs for the navy fast tracked, but instead focused on the AOPVs (slushbreakers). And Trudeau's minimal increases have not fast-tracked naval or air assets either.

The Aussies also have 2 LHDs

I know, but you don't use LHDs to patrol your coastline. Currently, those ships can't be used as carriers - and in 2015, Australia abandoned plans to purchase F-35Bs.

https://www.afr.com/news/politics/pms-f ... 707-gi6qxj

llama66 @ Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:08 pm

God, I wish we bought those Mistrals from the French

BartSimpson @ Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:45 pm

llama66 llama66:

Me, too.

But then you'd have two operational ships and I believe that violates some rule or regulation in the CF.

bootlegga @ Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:12 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
But then you'd have two operational ships and I believe that violates some rule or regulation in the CF.

:roll:

llama66 @ Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:33 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
llama66 llama66:

Me, too.

It does

CDN_PATRIOT @ Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:32 pm

Robair Robair:
I want my tax dollars going somewhere else thanks.

China perhaps?

ROTFL

-J.

Previous  1  2  3  4  5