Canada Kicks Ass
Top Ten Vocalists

Previous  1  2  3  Next

Zipperfish @ Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:08 pm

Unsound Unsound:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:
10. Ozzy

Oh yeah? I feel the same way about Hetfield!

Actually, I like Ozzy because, though he's a metal vocalist, he never screams. He sings. I find his voice has a lot of presence. And, as a former singer in an alternative/metal band I can tell you that there are very few singers out there who can sing Ozzy.

But on the other hand I'm a massive Ozzy fan, so I'm pretty biased on that front.

But Geddy Lee? Sorry. I always loved Rush, but mostly by trying to hear the music over Geddy's thin wail. :lol:

llama66 @ Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:01 am

My top 10
(no order...)

Jón Þór Birgisson (Sigur Rós)
Chris Martin (Coldplay)
Thom Yorke (Radiohead)
Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam)
Bono (U2)
Trent Reznor (NIN)
Billy Corgan (The Smashing Pumpkins)
Dave Gahan (Depeche Mode)
Ray LaMontagne
Thomas Mars (Phoenix)

Zipperfish @ Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:44 am

llama66 llama66:
My top 10
(no order...)

Jón Þór Birgisson (Sigur Rós)
Chris Martin (Coldplay)
Thom Yorke (Radiohead)
Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam)
Bono (U2)
Trent Reznor (NIN)
Billy Corgan (The Smashing Pumpkins)
Dave Gahan (Depeche Mode)
Ray LaMontagne
Thomas Mars (Phoenix)

Billy Corgan? It's funny, when I was in a badn I used to say "Thta guy can't sing wirht a shit!" Then, after a show one night, his girls walks up to me and says "You guys were great. You sound just like that guy from Smashing Pumpkins." D'oh!

rickc @ Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:38 am

What about Paul Rodgers? I fell that his powerful vocals were equal to any instrument of any band that he played in. A very unique voice. I have never personaly heard any band trying to duplicate any cover of any song that Paul sang.
Bob Seger was in a class by himself as well. Someone mentioned Ronny James Dio in this thread, and I would have to agree as well. Very powerful and unique vocals. His vocals were equal to any instrument in the band as well. I feel that if Creed would have stayed together longer, Scott Stapp would be seen in the same company of great vocalist. I really enjoyed his early material. Good range, and a lot of power and emotion as well. Damn I miss the 90's.

raydan @ Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:05 am

... and then there was Joe, Joe Cocker. :D

Freakinoldguy @ Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:19 pm

I can see that age plays a big part in the choices.

So with that thought, I'll give her a go and in no specific order except for the last one.

Steve Perry or the Fillipino guy who replaced him - both unique voices
Ronnie James Dio
Roger McQuinn
Robert Plant
Ian Gillian
Ted Neely (Andrew Loyd Webber couldn't sign Ian Gillian)
Neal Young
Paul Simon
Roy Orbison
And finally my personal favorite.................... Robert Zimmerman.

Zipperfish @ Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:13 pm

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
Ted Neely (Andrew Loyd Webber couldn't sign Ian Gillian)

I did not know that--thanks.

Batsy @ Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:50 am

Ozzy Osbourne.

That reminds me. Sabbath's new album, "13", is released in June. The album is being recorded under the original lineup but without drummer Bill Ward. Former Rage Against the Machine drummer Brad Wilk is drummer in the recording sessions but is not a new member of the band.

DrCaleb @ Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:40 pm

Don't know if I can do just 10.

Totally agree on Chris Cornell:

Stevie Ray:

Most of you have probabally have never heard of Tony Kakko, but I like the power and control he has:

So you've also never heard of a little band from the Faroe Islands, and Pól Arni Holm (great power in his voice too);

I think this should have been the theme to the movie 'Thor', but they didn't ask me.

Yet another band no one here has heard of, but their cover of an old Falco tune I just love. And I like German Metal. Alexx Wesselsky had an excellent range too.

I like all the boys from Great Big Sea:

Always loved Phil Collins, and Genesis in general.

Dan Baird had a great voice too.

One of the best concerts I've ever been to. 3 Times.

Dean Martin had one of the best voices ever:

And I can't find a video, but Garth Brooks' "The River" is one of my all time favourites.

Lemmy @ Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:33 pm

Don Henley should have been on my list:

Regina @ Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:45 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
Don Henley should have been on my list:

Couldn't agree more. He was also voted one of the best vocalists ever by Rolling Stone (?) a couple of years ago.

Zipperfish @ Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:28 am

Having listened to them a lot lately I have to add the dude who sings for Disturbed.

DrCaleb @ Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:24 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Having listened to them a lot lately I have to add the dude who sings for Disturbed.

He does not sound how he looks. I like Disturbed, so I'd agree too.

PluggyRug @ Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:16 am

Adding to above lists

PluggyRug @ Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:17 am

Adding to above lists

Previous  1  2  3  Next