Canada Kicks Ass
by-elections are becoming a waste of taxpayers money

1  2  Next

ryan29 @ Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:26 pm

just this week two mp's announced they would be quiting politics immediately and their seats are now vacant which means two more by-elections on top of the 3 allready likely to happen due to 3 other mp's leaving ottawa for various reasons.

this isn't only an ottawa problem in ontario at queens park there have been 10 by-elections since the last general election of 2003.

the question is why are all these mp's and mpp's leaving there jobs so soon after the elections and are by-elections becoming a waste of taxpayers dollars.

hurley_108 @ Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:31 pm

Think about the implication of not running a byelection for a vacant MP seat: 100 000 people are now without representation.

hwacker @ Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:43 pm

hurley_108 hurley_108:
Think about the implication of not running a byelection for a vacant MP seat: 100 000 people are now without representation.

If they are coming from Toronto, who cares.

bootlegga @ Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:11 pm

Elections are never a waste of time...that's the point of a democracy, that everyone gets a vote.

sandorski @ Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:33 pm

No, By-elections are sometimes necessary.

sasquatch2 @ Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:30 am

The usual suspects fear these byelections because they may indicate the the LIBRANO's are sinking fast and eventually Harper may get a majority......despite LIBRANO polls commissioned to indicate otherwise.

Meanwhile another LIBRANO rat has abandoned the sinking ship and crossed the floor (Tuesday).

:roll:

ryan29 @ Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:01 am

hurley_108 hurley_108:

i'm not saying don't fill the vacany, more pointing out the by-elections are a waste of money and the mp should stay at his/ her job until the next election is called and then quit. instead of quiting only a year a half after the last election.

Clogeroo @ Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:03 am

$1:

i'm not saying don't fill the vacany, more pointing out the by-elections are a waste of money and the mp should stay at his/ her job until the next election is called and then quit. instead of quiting only a year a half after the last election.

Well then you know he wasn't a good MP then.

RUEZ2 @ Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:04 am

hurley_108 hurley_108:
I agree.

ryan29 @ Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:13 am

sandorski sandorski:
No, By-elections are sometimes necessary.

of the 10 by-elections in ontario i agree some were necessary an example an mpp died and his seats had to be filled , another the new leader of the opposition needed a seat in the legislature,

the other 8 all left provincial politics to pursue other things examples included were municipal and federal runs,
sure the seats needed to be filled by law but the by-elections were really a waste of money

is Bill Graham for example , is that really necessary for him to leave just so Bob Rae can run for his seat?
how does that benefit the taxpayers ? we are seeing our money being wasted .

Patrick_Ross @ Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:47 am

I wouldn't say the number of by-elections we're having are worth it. They are, however, necessary.

Yet, I would like to point out that when an individual runs and is elected to office, they are implicitly making a promise to serve for as long as five years. To just up and quit after one year is, frankly, weak.

Whos_Voting_Oil @ Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:27 am

trueblue trueblue:
If the by-election is being held in Alberta, then yes it is a waste of taxpayers money.

Just declare the Conservative candidate as the new MP.

LOL very ture!

ryan29 @ Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:04 am

Patrick_Ross Patrick_Ross:
I wouldn't say the number of by-elections we're having are worth it. They are, however, necessary.

Yet, I would like to point out that when an individual runs and is elected to office, they are implicitly making a promise to serve for as long as five years. To just up and quit after one year is, frankly, weak.

when someone runs they should stay for their entire term unless they have a really good reason to leave.
just quiting is a waste of our money and doesn't help build trust among politicians and the public .

plus what does an average by-election cost these days , i bet its over $200,000 at least .

Patrick_Ross @ Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:44 am

If I didn't know better, I would suspect that this is a Liberal ploy to force the Conservatives into running a deficit due to all the by-election costs. Maybe if they all resign now, they could pull that off. :lol: 8)

1  2  Next