Canada Kicks Ass
CANZUK?

Canadian_Mind @ Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:20 pm

Hi guys! Been awhile since I started my own thread. Anyway, read an article recently about the concept of (re)unifying the non-rebellious members of the Anglosphere into a single superstate; similar to what is becoming of the EU, but a little bit more libertarian for the nations involved. While it is not a new idea by any means (It's been talked about here before), the recent Brexit vote has stirred up the discussion a fair bit elsewhere.

The Financial Post published an opinion piece giving a basic idea of the concept. http://business.financialpost.com/fp...nd-new-zealand

I personally am not for total integration at this time. What I would like to see is gradual integration in steps. We stop where the people demand we stop.

1. A free trade agreement and a proper military alliance drawn up between the first 4 states first.

2. From here, make a foreign policy agreement whereby we approach the world in agreement. Any individual foreign policies are to be considered the policies of the group unless the policies directly conflict between 2 member states. In this event, our dispute will be settled internally before made into policy. An example of this, Canada's Northwest Passage would be considered by all 4 countries to be Canadian Territorial Waters, not International Waters, even though at this time the UK, Australia, and NZ all disagree with that claim. At this time, I would also move on to a freedom of movement agreement whereby any citizen can freely travel between the countries with no restrictions on residency, no passport required, work anywhere, etc. The only differences you'd have between moving from Toronto to Canberra and Toronto to Montreal is that the Toronto to Canberra move takes you to a more favourable climate, the move costs more, and the people talk funny.

3. Solidify the foreign policy arrangements. We no longer approach the world stage as 4 voices in concert, but as one voice. With this, merge the military command structures. At this time, many other federal institutions, such as our respective space agencies, would be merged. A unified economic policy would also need to be devised so as to allow fairness for all businesses and corporations. Checks and balances would need to be put in place to prevent dominance of one region over the other. Each country maintains their individual charter/founding documents, as well as their own court and penal systems. This is as far as I personally am comfortable going.

At this point, I see no further need to become one country. So long as we pay for our share of the various joint/unified federal commitments, we should be allowed to retain our individual identities. However, I'm curious to see what you guys think. I've set up a poll with the above 3 steps as options, as well as no integration and total federal integration. If you have no opinion or can't make up your mind, I've set up an option for that as well.

martin14 @ Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:50 pm

Trade and defense only.

Open borders are destroying Europe, it's just a terrible idea.

Canadian_Mind @ Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:59 pm

martin14 martin14:
Trade and defense only.

Why do you say that? I feel that a significant factor in what made open borders for European nations a bad idea wouldn't be a bad idea for us. Namely, we don't have huge income gaps and standard of living gaps between our respective countries. Provincially we are all imbalanced one way or another, but not to the scale of Romania vs UK or Poland vs France or Greek vs German levels of economic disparity.

martin14 @ Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:24 am

Canadian_Mind Canadian_Mind:
martin14 martin14:
Trade and defense only.

Why do you say that? I feel that a significant factor in what made open borders for European nations a bad idea wouldn't be a bad idea for us. Namely, we don't have huge income gaps and standard of living gaps between our respective countries. Provincially we are all imbalanced one way or another, but not to the scale of Romania vs UK or Poland vs France or Greek vs German levels of economic disparity.

3 things:

1. Lots of French and Germans have moved to the UK as well, it isn't just the poor
countries flooding into the UK.

2. It's a non starter anyway; the UK is in the process of extricating itself from the
EU and open borders, no way in hell they are going to sign up for more of it.

3. There is a sizeable number of the UK population that is not friendly to Western
ideas, interests, morals and culture. No need to give them an open ticket to spread their bullshit.

Public_Domain @ Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:42 am

Five Eyes is bad enough

Thanos @ Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:56 am

None. Sounds like something the Brits would use to try to turn us into a third-nation dumping ground for immigrants. Some of the ones that get in here through our own system are horrifying enough. Becoming a final destination for the ones the British would want to pass on to us is unacceptable.

martin14 @ Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:51 am

Thanos Thanos:
None. Sounds like something the Brits would use to try to turn us into a third-nation dumping ground for immigrants. Some of the ones that get in here through our own system are horrifying enough. Becoming a final destination for the ones the British would want to pass on to us is unacceptable.

Speaking of which:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... chief.html

One million migrants are living in Britain illegally and will never be deported, claims former Border Agency chief

$1:
Rob Whiteman suggests that the problem is now too big for UK to tackle
He said: 'The government does not have the resources or political levers to deport hundreds of thousands of people.’
Britain's border security 'under-resourced', according to MP's report
Just three Border Force patrol boats protecting 7,000 miles of coastline
The report calls for Navy warships to guard small ports and UK beaches

3 boats for the UK, while the rest of the UK Navy sits 12 miles off the coast of Libya,
waiting for more rapefugees.

Open borders with this bunch ? Never !
UK is just full of fail.