Canada Kicks Ass
Concerning Canada and Immigrants...

Previous  1  2  3  Next

figfarmer @ Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:31 pm

I kinda lurch about like a spastic zombie.

figfarmer @ Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:43 pm

When I posted that my IE opened up hundreds of new windows and wanted to download a file called "modules.php".

Twila @ Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:45 pm

Elaine!?!?!? Is that you, Elaine Benes?

Narissa @ Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:25 am

$1:
I celebrate Christmas, but because it isn't celebrated by everyone, we
can no longer say Merry Christmas, now it has to be Season's Greetings.
It's not Christmas vacation, it's Winter Break. Isn't it amazing how
this winter break ALWAYS occurs over the Christmas holiday?

This, in particular, is what Pisses me off. I wouldn't expect anyone coming to our country to change their culture, custom, or believes. but to come here and make it illegal for US to celebrate our customs is SICK.

Our town actually had a bi-law this year that it was illegal for a business to have any 'christmas banners' or displays. How dare anyone tell a Canadian that they are not to udder the words 'Merry Christmas'. If this continues it will only create a great amount of resentment & hatred toward new immigrants coming to this country - is this what our policitians want?

natooke @ Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:24 am

Donny Thank you :D I'm an immigrant & as a Canadian I've had my struggles ... & still do. What really hurts are the rude comments about our children ... Questioning their nationality! ability to speak the language! The Bilingual/cultural opposition gets really OLD. :evil: Our son was even bullied cus he was wearing a Canadian touqe ...logo "Canada with Maple Leaf"

Donny_Brasco Donny_Brasco:
Well, I think those of you who dislike immigrants, language or cultures should take a long hard look at your own culture.

Without preserving something multicultural yourself from whatever corner you, your parents or grandparents come from, well I think you become shallow. This resentment toward folks who choose to retain there identity creates this jealousy.

Perhaps you should go out and gain some culture yourself. Find out where your roots are, what religion they practiced and what dances they did. Learn a little more about yourself and then perhaps you will realize that allowing people to be who they are, allowing people to represent their pride in who they are, well it makes this whole country a better place for EVERYONE.

What is this elusive "Canadian Culture" anyways? Beer, hockey and RCMP? That’s it? What about music, dance, clothes, customs, traditions? What have we as Canadians got that we have not stole from some other ethnic group?

Personally, I like talking to cultured people, Jews, Francophones, Africans, Asians...whoever. These are people who, to me, have depth and conviction in their personality. Don't be shallow...

As for myself I’ve worked hard to learn another language, at the time I was 30 … after 14 years it’s still an up hill battle. Not to say learning a new culture, language & how things plainly work in a “foreign/adoptive country” are easy … in fact it does take time, but it can be achieved.

There are many variables being on the other side of the fence, as an immigrant. I’ll cite this article for you to have a look see (below). This article hits home for many! after all Food & Cultural … Language/communicating is a huge part of ones identity … something that is extremely hard to let go (if ever). It is what your made up of. !!!!!
However adapting takes hard work with a positive attitude (some sadly can't). With that being said! I’m happy to report that there are many ppl. out there who are open minded. These certain ppl. I keep close to my heart … they are the ones who (didn’t speak English) who opened their home to me … who gave me a chance.

immigration & identity
http://www.nmcop.org/summer2003immigration.pdf

I want to ask everyone here!

What is Christmas to you? What is the true meaning? Is it getting a few days off work & getting gifts? or are you a devoted Christian?

Twila @ Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:13 am

$1:
What is Christmas to you? What is the true meaning? Is it getting a few days off work & getting gifts? or are you a devoted Christian?

Not picking on you, but Christmas has nothing to do with Christ. He was NOT born on Dec 25, 2004. It was the catholics way of keeping the pagens satisfied by allowing them to worship their gods, not thee god.

mike2277 @ Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:19 am

Twila Twila:
$1:

Not picking on you, but Christmas has nothing to do with Christ. .

Yes, the church co-opted the winter rituals that existed in many pagan societies and created Christmas. However, after two-thousand years (give or take), to say that Christ has nothing to do with Christmas is, at best, disingenuous.

Twila @ Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:46 am

$1:
However, after two-thousand years (give or take), to say that Christ has nothing to do with Christmas is, at best, disingenuous.

Were you not taught that Christ was born on Christmas day? This is why we celebrate Christmas on Dec 25. Which is a big lie. Therefore how can Christmas - Christ Mas even be about Christ's Birth?

It's pretty clear and straightforward. Maybe not so in a christian world though.........

mike2277 @ Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:38 am

Twila Twila:
$1:
However, after two-thousand years (give or take), to say that Christ has nothing to do with Christmas is, at best, disingenuous.

Were you not taught that Christ was born on Christmas day?

No, through thirteen years of attending Roman Catholic schools, and being raised in a Catholic home, I was never taught that Christ was born on Christmas Day. I was taught we celebrated Christ's birth on December 25th. Big difference.

Twila @ Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:08 pm

Well how about this then No command is given in the bible for the Lord's birthday to be observed in any way.

If you can find one, then please share it.

Ralph @ Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:14 pm

What is this elusive "Canadian Culture" anyways? Beer, hockey and RCMP? That’s it

It is the CANADIAN CULTURE that allows this mix of people in the first place.
It is the people that just look at the serfice that can't see what really makes up this wonderful country.
And if I am wrong, then why are all these wonderful cultured people still flocking to this country.

Donny_Brasco @ Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:27 pm

$1:
It is the people that just look at the serfice that can't see what really makes up this wonderful country.

And I'm still waiting for someone to explain what is under that surface. I think my first post here asked the same thing.

For example, I am a Cree person. Here is some of our culture:
- The Cree Language
- Our Oral Traditions (Stories, myths, legends)
- Our belief in the Creator (Religion)
- Our Sweat Lodges (Religon)
- Our Art
- Our food
- Our gatherings (Pow-wows, other dances like the Sun Dance)
- Our Medicine (Ever heard of Indian Medicine)
- Our Connection to Mother Earth
- Our Traditional Names (i.e. Kahkewistahaw or "He who Flies Around")

Now of course not every Cree person follows this way of life, some people are so far detached from their culture that they have no idea. But many of us still try to keep our traditions alive. Because this is who we are.

I'm not criticizing, I think it is great to know who you are.

My question is:
$1:
CANADA, WHO ARE YOU?

And please, don't say "Joe".

God Bless Canada.

Donny_Brasco @ Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:31 pm

More Race/Girl pics

Have my posts been disappearing?

mike2277 @ Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:43 pm

Twila Twila:
Well how about this then No command is given in the bible for the Lord's birthday to be observed in any way.

If you can find one, then please share it.

I don't imagine any command has been given to observe your birthday either.

Twila @ Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:52 pm

$1:
I don't imagine any command has been given to observe your birthday either.

Well actually there has been. However, We only celebrate my 25th birthday....once a year I turn 25. If you don't believe me just ask my daughter. She'll tell you true.

Previous  1  2  3  Next