Canada Kicks Ass
Concerning Canada and Immigrants...

1  2  3  Next

RoyalHighlander @ Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:47 am

Recieved this email today.. thought i'd pass it along for our members to commenbt on...

This e-mail and any attachments may contain
confidential
and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please
notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this e-mail and
destroy any copies. Any dissemination or use of this information by a
person other than the intended recipient is unauthorized and may be
illegal. Unless otherwise stated, opinions expressed in this e-mail are
those of the author and are not endorsed by the author's employer.
and
still be Canada if we continue to make the changes forced on us by
the people from other countries that came to live in Canada because it
is the Country of Choice????

Think about it . All I have to say is, when will they do something
about MY RIGHTS?

I celebrate Christmas, but because it isn't celebrated by everyone, we
can no longer say Merry Christmas, now it has to be Season's Greetings.
It's not Christmas vacation, it's Winter Break. Isn't it amazing how
this winter break ALWAYS occurs over the Christmas holiday?

We've gone so far the other way, bent over backwards to not offend
anyone, that I am now being offended. But it seems that no one has a
problem with that .

This says it all! This is an editorial written by a Canadian citizen,
published in a Canadian newspaper. He did quite a job; didn't he?

Read on, please!

IMMIGRANTS, NOT CANADIANS, MUST ADAPT

I'm tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some
individual or their culture. I'm not against immigration, nor do I hold a
grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to Canada.

Our population is almost entirely made up of descendants of immigrants.

However, there are a few things that those who have recently come to our
country, and apparently some born here, need to understand.

This idea of Canada being a multicultural community has served only to
dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As Canadians, we have
our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle.
This culture has been developed over centuries of struggles, trials, and
victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom. We speak
ENGLISH, not Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or
any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society,
learn the language!

We are, in the main, Christians, not Buddists, Muslims or Islamics
because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this
nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to
display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I
suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home,
because God is part of our culture.

If the Maple Leaf offends you, then you should seriously consider a move
to another part of this planet. We are happy with our culture and have no
desire to change, and we really don't care how you did things where you
came from. This is OUR COUNTRY, our land, and our lifestyle. Our
government gives every citizen the right to express his opinion and we
will allow you every opportunity to do so. But once you are done
complaining, whining and griping about our flag, our pledge, our
national motto, or our way of life, I highly encourage you take advantage
of oneother great Canadian freedom,THE RIGHT TO LEAVE.

If you agree-- pass this along; if you don't agree -- delete it!

I figure if we all keep passing this to our friends it will also, sooner
or later get back to the complainers, let's all try.

-Mario- @ Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:20 am

My beef on this issue is about the RCMP traditional Uniform. I don't care if they (not sure of the ethnic group) wear a turban with their every day uniform, BUT.... When they have to wear the red coat, traditional uniform, that is our Canadian tradition. If they cannot respect our tradition, the culture, kick them out of the force. Send them to the military, they are allowed to wear their turban, and there is less of a tradition there. It gets my blood boiling every time. Man that pisses me off. Just me, me, me. I think that Canada has made alot of concessions, this should not have been one.

-M-

DMP08 @ Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:57 pm

Now I do not have a whole lot of wordly experience, but I think if I were to travel to say France, I would ldearn some french before I went. I work at Safeway in town and it annows me sometimes how people don't even know a single word of english, then they get mad at ME because I don't understand their needs. Another thing I was reminded about by reading the last post by -Mario- is the issue with the turban. I say no problem, thats their culture, but it shouldn't allow rules to be bend around them. I don't know if the law is implemented anywhere else in Canada, but in BC if you are caught riding a bike without a helmet, you get a 100 dollar ticket.
But the people who wear a turban don't have to comply with this rule. They can ride around helmet-less. Now in my town there are none that ride motorcycles, but what if they did? Would they have to wear a helmet then or would they be exluded from that rule?

Lastly a cultural thing there is a few east indians in my school, and part of their culture involves them to CARRY A DAGGAR EVERYWHERE! If I was caught at school with anything even resembling a knife, I'd be expelled. But they carry a daggar under their shirt in a little sheath.

By all means don't stop immigration, encourage it. But don't change Canada's culture for theirs.

Twila @ Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:25 pm

So what kind of culture did Canada have before any settlers came?

Should we revert back to the real original customs and traditions of then?

Are new customs not allowed?

Just asking. Don't bother with your soap boxes

figfarmer @ Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:38 pm

Ummm. My dad's parents were immigrants, he from Sweden; she from England. My mom's family are all tracable to England at one time or another. They were all getting away from something to get here, but I assume some of them carried traditions with them. I don't give two hoots. I like the idea of Christmas, but don't run about hollering about Christ, otherwise, religion is a sad joke to me. I don't care what people, including the RCMP wear, except I'd rather see chicks in skimpy outfits. About the only problem I have with any group is that I will do my best to eradicate any group that intends to wreck my country. For those who don't get that, secession in North America is traditionally responded to with guns. See U.S. civil war for details.

Rev_Blair @ Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:48 pm

My great granparents were immigrants...they brought their traditions and language with them. My father never learned English until he started school because everybody he'd ever met spoke Ukranian.

is it frustrating to deal with people who don't speak the language sometimes? You bet it is. Do their customs and traditions seem odd? You bet they do.

Chances are that if you're Canadian, you have ancestors (likely not too many generations back) spoke a different language and had customs and traditions that Canadians of the day found odd. Chances are that your ancestors faced discrimination as a result. Do you really want to be like the bastards that were discriminating against your ancestors?

Twila @ Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:54 pm

My grandparents came from Norway in 1932. They learned to speak english but had heavy accents they could not lose. I had no problem understanding them.

Others did. When flustered and upset they reverted (naturally) to their native tongue. As they got older they spoke less english and more norwegian.

Funny how just a little understanding and patience can do BOTH parties a world of good.

Course if your comfortable turning somebody away from the border because their english isn't good enough and send them back to their country to be persecuted, murdered, imprisoned. Then let your conscience guide you.

Thank fully my grandparents weren't turned away.

My other grandparents both had thick accents. ENGLISH was their first language. People STILL had trouble understanding them. What's up with that?

figfarmer @ Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:56 pm

You know, I don't think I ever heard one word from any of my ancestors about discrimination. Gramma Tilander was the most unlikable slitch in the universe too. They shoulda tossed her back.

Rev_Blair @ Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:16 pm

Most immigrants experienced discrimination, Fig. It was more accepted a few generations ago, but it was still there.

DMP08 @ Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:22 pm

I by no means meant don't allow people who can't speak english in. I just didn't like how people got mad at me because I didn't speak their language. I am all forother people's customs, but I don't like when those people don't let others continue with their customs. Obviously about 90% of people in Canada aren't native to here, we are all immigrants in a way. My grandfathers came over when they were about 20 (shortly after the war). I love learning other customs and ways of life. I am in no means putting them down, encourage them.

DMP08 @ Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:28 pm

I found something AVRO said in a different forum that is perfect:

$1:
Actually yes it is a great country. The fact that we can embrace those of us who feel differently makes us great.

That is a perfect way to sum it up.

Oh and the font is normally still small after quotes, I just manually made it normal size.

karra @ Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:31 pm

$1:
I just manually made it normal size.
How do do dat?

DMP08 @ Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:36 pm

where u post reply next to message body you can chose font type, size and colour.small Regular large huge

Donny_Brasco @ Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:09 pm

Well, I think those of you who dislike immigrants, language or cultures should take a long hard look at your own culture.

Without preserving something multicultural yourself from whatever corner you, your parents or grandparents come from, well I think you become shallow. This resentment toward folks who choose to retain there identity creates this jealousy.

Perhaps you should go out and gain some culture yourself. Find out where your roots are, what religion they practiced and what dances they did. Learn a little more about yourself and then perhaps you will realize that allowing people to be who they are, allowing people to represent their pride in who they are, well it makes this whole country a better place for EVERYONE.

What is this elusive "Canadian Culture" anyways? Beer, hockey and RCMP? That’s it? What about music, dance, clothes, customs, traditions? What have we as Canadians got that we have not stole from some other ethnic group?

Personally, I like talking to cultured people, Jews, Francophones, Africans, Asians...whoever. These are people who, to me, have depth and conviction in their personality. Don't be shallow...

Rev_Blair @ Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:52 pm

$1:
Find out where your roots are, what religion they practiced and what dances they did.

The Catholics like to polka and the Protestants like to jig, the Apostolics just sit there sipping their coffee and give us all dirty looks. :wink:

Good points, Donny. I come from grandparents from four different countries and four quite different versions of Christianity. My great aunt (Irish Protestant) married an Asiatic Jew who earned a limp on D-Day. When we all get together, it starts to look a lot like Canada...different colours and religions and attitudes and we all more or less get along.

1  2  3  Next