Canada Kicks Ass
Cops want right to monitor your e-mail

-Mario- @ Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:41 am

Halifax Chronicle Herald
I think this is a good idea. They should include politicians... :wink:

Scape @ Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:57 am

In Ontario cops are looking for a tax on phone lines so they can tap them. I see this as part revenue grab, part enforcement. The ability to pass information over vast distances must be monitored. The vast majority of it can be effectively monitored, however most of that will not be useful information. The information that is being searched for will encrypt or use communications protocols over the internet like p2p software like waste that uses military encryption algorithms. This will make some of that info simply next to impossible to crack either economically or expediently. Most crime can be caught but as Franklin said, "He who scarifies liberty for security deserves neither.' What is required to track this will sell out liberty in a heartbeat with no public oversight.

-Mario- @ Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:11 am

I would rather give the cops 25cents then the phone company. If you let the phone company handle it, they will try to double dip, or give us a cheap increase of $2.99. Its like the Banks. They charge us and the store interract fees.

AdamNF @ Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:33 pm

The more rights the police have, the less we have. I vote NO

Andem @ Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:11 am

I don't know about the rest of Canada, but the Metropolitan Toronto Police is and has been swarmed with corruption for years. Giving them any extra rights before straightening them out is absolutely ridiculous!

That's needless to say, I don't agree with giving the police the right to read anybody's email or tap into anybody's personal information without a warrant. Providing them with the technology to do it with on demand would be disastrous.

I can think of other police forces in the GTA which I wouldn't feel safe with them having the ability to read emails.

QBC @ Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:20 am

I think if the police get this power that everyone in Canada with email flood the airways with all sorts of good stuff. I email Mario about our plan to crash a Lada into a local Mcdonalds, Scape can email Adam about their drug selling business, Mario can email Adam about bribeing a local school board official, Scape can email me about our plans to smuggle Koolaid into the US. Every email the cops open will talk about some type of stupid crime. Yes?, No?............ :lol:

-Mario- @ Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:12 pm

Yeah... go for it... :lol:
I just changed my account to CKA-email much better and faster than my old one.

Then they would shut down the CKA as a terrorist site... :wink:

Ralph @ Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:31 pm

:D

Pathos @ Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:02 pm

$1:
I don't know about the rest of Canada, but the Metropolitan Toronto Police is and has been swarmed with corruption for years.

swarmed...?what do you mean..?the largest municiple force in canada...they have more than 5000 cops must have some corruption...dont you think..?

$1:
I can think of other police forces in the GTA which I wouldn't feel safe with them having the ability to read emails.
hole heartedly agree with that...this is not a cash grab its a opportunity to expand empires primarliy..cash is nice but like any bureaucracy it will disappear into general revenues with annual requests for substantial increases..revenues acquired thru the proceds of crime are snatched by the feds with nothing returned to the municiple force that expended the monies required to acquire the proceeds...no way should a telephone tax or any other tax be levied to support this big brother view

-Mario- @ Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:49 pm

I still think that it would be a good idea. They don't care about the average joe. Plus, they are so under staff, they would have a limited time to monitor all those emails. Probably will need to ask for a court order, just like phone tapping.

QBC @ Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:43 pm

I still don't think it should be allowed. Whats next, opening all your mail at Canada post? They've wasted so much money on that stupid gun registry, they'll waste a pile on reading your email too.