Canada Kicks Ass
Don’t deny the disease, challenge the “cure”

Previous  1  2

BartSimpson @ Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:03 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Obesity's always been regarded as a moral/personal failing where the individual with the problem gets to be bullied mercilessly by the pretty people, and all with society's full approval. It's only been in the last several decades where the genetic/medical/brain dispositions towards being overweight have been taken seriously.

One statistic of the recent flu we've observed here at work is that people with a BMI of less than 20 are more likely to die of the flu alone than people with a higher BMI...including obese people with a BMI of 30-35.

We're designed by evolution to put on weight when we can and our ability to survive severe illnesses and even cancer are sometimes improved when we're overweight but otherwise healthy.

Individualist @ Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:09 am

Individualist Individualist:
Thanos Thanos:
Obesity's always been regarded as a moral/personal failing where the individual with the problem gets to be bullied mercilessly by the pretty people, and all with society's full approval. It's only been in the last several decades where the genetic/medical/brain dispositions towards being overweight have been taken seriously.

Well, the “pretty people” have been joined by the “woke”, the supposedly well-meaning progressives who are anti-bullying, as long as the people being bullied fall into one of their “marginalized” categories. I guess punching down is sometimes okay.

And what really bugs me is that so many of these “hey, I’m going to have to pay for your bypass” progressive types are the ones insisting that we not be judgemental about drug addicts and the funding of “harm reduction” programs. Hypocrisy at its most vile.

Vbeacher @ Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:16 am

What if the disease is the flu and the doctor suggests you dye your hair purple as a remedy? Would it be acceptable then to question how in the hell that is going to do anything to cure the flu?

Because I fail to see how carbon taxes in Canada are going to do thing one to address global warming. They will make us poorer, true. They may somewhat lower our CO2 emissions, but we only emit about 1.6% of the world's share anyway. And our reduction (at enormous cost) will go unnoticed as nations like China, India, and basically throughout the third world build new coal fired generating stations by the hundreds. India's increased CO2 emissions this year, for example are equal to our ENTIRE emissions. And they plan to do that again and again for many years. So why are we wasting hundreds of billions (yes, that is what these complex carbon schemes will cost) on a futile effort instead of using money to do research and into taking steps to ameliorate the likely impact of warming?

Tricks @ Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:38 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Raw, whole natural foods are the best way to maintain our health. And they just taste good!

Tsk Tsk, you and I both know natural means jack shit in the food industry. Natural =/= good.

BartSimpson @ Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:41 am

Tricks Tricks:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Raw, whole natural foods are the best way to maintain our health. And they just taste good!

Tsk Tsk, you and I both know natural means jack shit in the food industry. Natural =/= good.

Raw and natural means covered in shit, soaked through with E. coli, and unwashed.

No thanks.

BeaverFever @ Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:21 pm

Vbeacher Vbeacher:

What if the disease is the flu and the doctor suggests you dye your hair purple as a remedy? Would it be acceptable then to question how in the hell that is going to do anything to cure the flu?

Because I fail to see how carbon taxes in Canada are going to do thing one to address global warming. They will make us poorer, true. They may somewhat lower our CO2 emissions, but we only emit about 1.6% of the world's share anyway. And our reduction (at enormous cost) will go unnoticed as nations like China, India, and basically throughout the third world build new coal fired generating stations by the hundreds. India's increased CO2 emissions this year, for example are equal to our ENTIRE emissions. And they plan to do that again and again for many years. So why are we wasting hundreds of billions (yes, that is what these complex carbon schemes will cost) on a futile effort instead of using money to do research and into taking steps to ameliorate the likely impact of warming?

The India China thing is a red herring argument for a number of reasons, for example the claim that we won’t be able to compete with India and China or third world countries. That’s already been the case for 30 years due to their lower living standards, corruption and lack of regulation. Anything that can be outsourced there has already gone long ago. Also the green economy strategy is about growing new technology sectors and jobs that can’t be outsourced in near future. But also India and China want to grren themselves too.

$1:
China on track to lead in renewables as US retreats, report says

IEEFA report says China will dominate international investment in renewable technology over the next several decades

Helen Davidson
Last modified on Wed 14 Feb 2018 17.36 GMT
IEEFA report says China will dominate international investment in renewable technology over the next several decades

China is moving towards becoming a global leader in renewable technology as the US pulls away, a new report has said.

China is the world’s biggest emitter of greenhouse gases and still invests in coal but in recent years it has become the largest investor in domestic renewable energy. The country is now on track to lead international investment in the sector, according to the report by the Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis (IEEFA)....

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... eport-says

$1:
China becomes a 'driving power' for solar energy with $86.5 billion invested last year

Anmar Frangoul
Published 7:28 AM ET Fri, 6 April 2018

The world has invested $2.9 trillion in green energy sources since 2004, according to new research, with China leading the way in recent years with its push towards solar power.

The "Global Trends in Renewable Energy Investment 2018" report was published Thursday by UN Environment, the Frankfurt School-UNEP Collaborating Center, and Bloomberg New Energy Finance. It also found that 98 gigawatts (GW) of new solar capacity was installed in 2017.

What's more, solar power attracted $160.8 billion of investment, more than any other technology. China, where a staggering 53 GW was added and $86.5 billion invested, was described as a "driving power" behind the increase in solar.

"The extraordinary surge in solar investment shows how the global energy map is changing and, more importantly, what the economic benefits are of such a shift," Erik Solheim, the head of UN Environment, said in a statement.

"Investments in renewables bring more people into the economy, they deliver more jobs, better quality jobs and better paid jobs," he added. "Clean energy also means less pollution, which means healthier, happier development."

The report found that China invested the largest amount of money in renewables last year, at $126.6 billion. This represents a 31 percent increase compared to 2016. Around the world, 157 GW of renewable power was commissioned last year.

"The world added more solar capacity than coal, gas, and nuclear plants combined," Nils Stieglitz, president of the Frankfurt School of Finance and Management, said. "This shows where we are heading, although the fact that renewables altogether are still far from providing the majority of electricity means that we still have a long way to go."

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/06/china-b ... -year.html

$1:
India plans nearly 60% of electricity capacity from non-fossil fuels by 2027

Expansion of solar and wind power will help exceed Paris targets by almost half and negate need for new coal-fired power stations

Michael Safi
First published on Wed 21 Dec 2016 12.40 GMT
Expansion of solar and wind power will help exceed Paris targets by almost half and negate need for new coal-fired power stations

The Indian government has forecast that it will exceed the renewable energy targets set in Paris last year by nearly half and three years ahead of schedule.

A draft 10-year energy blueprint published this week predicts that 57% of India’s total electricity capacity will come from non-fossil fuel sources by 2027. The Paris climate accord target was 40% by 2030.

The forecast reflects an increase in private sector investment in Indian renewable energy projects over the past year, according to analysts.

The draft national electricity plan also indicated that no new coal-fired power stations were likely to be required to meet Indian energy needs until at least 2027, raising further doubts over the viability of Indian mining investments overseas, such as the energy company Adani’s Carmichael mine in Queensland, the largest coalmine planned to be built in Australia.

India’s energy minister, Piyush Goyal, has been appealing to wealthier nations to provide capital to invest in renewable energy projects to help the country reach and exceed the targets agreed in Paris in November 2015.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... mit-target

DrCaleb @ Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:55 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Tricks Tricks:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Raw and natural means covered in shit, soaked through with E. coli, and unwashed.

No thanks.

You guys are buying the wrong stuff.

Anything in a package is neither whole nor natural. And if you don't wash produce before you eat it, well, that your lifestyle choice. ;)

Tricks @ Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:22 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Anything in a package is neither whole nor natural. And if you don't wash produce before you eat it, well, that your lifestyle choice. ;)

You mean pogos aren't natural!

Blasphemy!

DrCaleb @ Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:11 am

Tricks Tricks:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Blasphemy!

I just started seedlings for my Hot Pockets tree.

Tricks @ Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:56 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Tricks Tricks:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Blasphemy!

I just started seedlings for my Hot Pockets tree.

That'd go well with my jamaican patty bush.

Previous  1  2