Canada Kicks Ass
ELECTION 2021 - Trudeau calls federal election

Previous  1 ... 4  5  6  7  8  9  10 ... 30  Next

raydan @ Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:50 am

Strutz Strutz:
raydan raydan:
Around here, voting for any other party except for the Liberals or the Bloc equates to throwing your ballot in the trash.

Out of curiosity, and in your opinion, if the Bloc was not an option where would those votes go?

Mostly Liberals and the rest to the NDP

EDIT: I think that most people who vote Bloc are not separatists, just people who are disenchanted by the Libs and NDP and would never (I repeat, NEVER) vote for the Cons. The Bloc gave them another option, but they'd go back to the Libs/NDP if they had to.

Strutz @ Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:28 pm

raydan raydan:
Strutz Strutz:
raydan raydan:
Around here, voting for any other party except for the Liberals or the Bloc equates to throwing your ballot in the trash.

Out of curiosity, and in your opinion, if the Bloc was not an option where would those votes go?

Mostly Liberals and the rest to the NDP

EDIT: I think that most people who vote Bloc are not separatists, just people who are disenchanted by the Libs and NDP and would never (I repeat, NEVER) vote for the Cons. The Bloc gave them another option, but they'd go back to the Libs/NDP if they had to.

Interesting. Thank you for your insights. It's interesting to see where the divisions are across the country when it comes to political stands.

CDN_PATRIOT @ Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:43 am

raydan raydan:
EDIT: I think that most people who vote Bloc are not separatists, just people who are disenchanted by the Libs and NDP

Which creates a huge problem for the rest of the country. Instead of using their heads, they vote for a party that only runs candidates in their province thinking it's a viable option when in reality, equates to very little.

These Quebecers are 'disenchanted' with the Libs and NDP (who wouldn't be), but also don't vote Conservative? This leads me to believe that said disenchanted Quebecers are throwing their votes away for no reason other than they can, and don't take anything else into consideration.

I'm not knocking them so much as I'm confused by the mindset. If these people are so disenchanted with the main three parties, what would they if there was NO Bloc? Voting is not something to be taken lightly, especially when people in other countries fight and die for the right to vote.

Elections frustrate me to no end not as much because of the parties we have to vote for, but for the attitudes and mindsets of the people who vote. There are too many people that either don't vote, spoil votes, vote strategically for no reason other than that is all they do time and again, as well as people who vote differently every single election just to be different.

This is why stopped being actively involved in politics a couple years back. After working on almost every federal/provincial campaign since 2002, as well as running my own municipal campaign in 2006, I had enough of all the nonsense in regards to people and how they think and vote at election time.

It's mind boggling.

-J.

housewife @ Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:08 pm

raydan raydan:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:
The situation with Israel and Palestine has not changed materially in my time on Earth. Nothing leads me to believe it will change any time soon. Also, I'm not religious and have never been to either place, and what happens there is not that important to me personally.Other than musing on the irony that Israel's stated intentions are to avoid civilian casualties yet manage to inflict a lot of them, and Palestine's stated intentions are to inflict civilian causalities, and manage to inflict almost none, I don't spend a lot of time fretting about it.

You can't help people who don't want your help and I don't know why we keep trying.

The problem with help is sometimes personal biases. Where instead of actually helping you do what you think you would want if you were in that situation. Not always helpful or appreciated.

DrCaleb @ Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:59 am

Twitter adds warning label to tweet from Liberal candidate Chrystia Freeland

herbie @ Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:10 pm

So the Tool announced he will fund 1,000 new treatment beds for druggies to walk away from the minute they start Jonesing for a hit.
Across the street from the park full of dealers and the Safe Injection sites.

Sunnyways @ Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:42 am

Thanos Thanos:
Netanyahu's gone. And around here I was consistently against him. First for backstabbing Obama as much as he could and, second, for being way to close to Trump. Netanyahu's a crook, just like Trump, and hopefully he has a reckoning with the Israeli justice system.

His replacement is no better.

herbie @ Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:34 pm

So our upcountry hicks will again ensure Cornservatives represent us.
Like a 4th wave of raging pandemic, the province is on fire, blindness is a requisite if you can't see climate change and two main Tory MPs send mail and FB posts that the issues are gun control, the deficit and crime.
And the National Post (CPC's House Organ) is spewing anti-Trudeau/Singh op eds like shit from a goose....

Sunnyways @ Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:35 pm

O’Toole has that Biden thing going on. It’s hard to paint him as a wild-eyed extremist, although many in his party are. His ordinariness is reassuring.

JaredMilne @ Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:50 pm

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:

Which creates a huge problem for the rest of the country. Instead of using their heads, they vote for a party that only runs candidates in their province thinking it's a viable option when in reality, equates to very little.

These Quebecers are 'disenchanted' with the Libs and NDP (who wouldn't be), but also don't vote Conservative? This leads me to believe that said disenchanted Quebecers are throwing their votes away for no reason other than they can, and don't take anything else into consideration.

I'm not knocking them so much as I'm confused by the mindset. If these people are so disenchanted with the main three parties, what would they if there was NO Bloc? Voting is not something to be taken lightly, especially when people in other countries fight and die for the right to vote.

Elections frustrate me to no end not as much because of the parties we have to vote for, but for the attitudes and mindsets of the people who vote. There are too many people that either don't vote, spoil votes, vote strategically for no reason other than that is all they do time and again, as well as people who vote differently every single election just to be different.

This is why stopped being actively involved in politics a couple years back. After working on almost every federal/provincial campaign since 2002, as well as running my own municipal campaign in 2006, I had enough of all the nonsense in regards to people and how they think and vote at election time.

It's mind boggling.

-J.

First Past The Post amplifies the problem by making it seem like entire regions are uniformly liberal, conservative or what have you. It makes a lot of people feel like their votes are pointless if the local Tory, Liberal, Dipper or Bloquiste is going to get in no matter what. Under a more proportional system, the Liberals would have had more seats on the Prairies and the Reform Alliance would have had more seats east of Manitoba based on the vote totals they got in previous elections. There'd probably be less strategic voting or ballot spoiling if people actually thought their votes had a chance of swaying the outcome.

And regarding the Bloc, here in Alberta we have the Maverick Party trying to use the Bloc's playbook. Never mind that the evidence is dubious as to how many Albertans even want that kind of approach and the firewall policies associated with it, or the fact that so much of the Alberta right is constantly forming new parties and movements, to the point where they come across to me as cannibalizing themselves, or the fact that they're more likely to just split the vote and make it easier for Liberal or NDP candidates to win, so it's not exclusively a Quebec thing. If anything, it's worse here than in Quebec.

Thanos @ Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:52 pm

Gonna laugh like crazy if the Maverick nonsense, and any other western separatist crapola, costs the federal Tories ridings in Alberta that they'd normally win. Especially after the polling results today showing that the Conservatives are doing quite well in suburban Ontario again. Win Ontario, lose Alberta, end up back in Opposition again. LOL. :lol:

JaredMilne @ Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:09 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Gonna laugh like crazy if the Maverick nonsense, and any other western separatist crapola, costs the federal Tories ridings in Alberta that they'd normally win. Especially after the polling results today showing that the Conservatives are doing quite well in suburban Ontario again. Win Ontario, lose Alberta, end up back in Opposition again. LOL. :lol:

They might, but my gut feeling is that they'll be like the People's Party and just embarrass themselves by how badly they do. These Alberta separatists are really their own worst enemies and seem more obsessed with their own versions of political purity spirals than actually organizing a coherent political movement. It's just like the Western Canada Concept from the '80s, riding on a wave of anger at Ottawa and then completely screwing the pooch with their own stupidity.

Watching O'Toole campaign, I'm reminded why my own MP (Michael Cooper) backed him in the original race to replace Stephen Harper. I don't know if Cooper backed O'Toole in the more recent race, but he probably did. Cooper cited O'Toole's strengths at deflecting the "social conservative who wants to forcibly drag everyone back to the dark ages" attacks that the Liberals threw at everyone from Harper to Preston Manning. And that's in spite of the far-right socons who really do want to drag us back to that era and are hindering O'Toole's efforts to expand the blue tent.

Never mind that Harper's victories came in large part from successfully expanding the blue tent (at one point, the CPC actually had the most ethnically diverse caucus in Parliament) and keeping a lid on the social conservative nonsense. If Leslyn Lewis wins her riding, I can see her being one of O'Toole's main lieutenants and either a Cabinet minister if the Tories win or a shadow cabinet member if they become the opposition. Besides her own innate merits, she'd also be a great example of the Tories expanding the blue tent, not to mention how bad the optics would be for any angry white leftists yelling at her.

housewife @ Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:39 pm

Thanos Thanos:

:lol: that would be funny.

herbie @ Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:09 pm

That's what I used to laugh at Jared.... Harper's MPs ranting about immigrants and almost ALL the other Fraser Valley Tory MPs were immigrants.

JaredMilne @ Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:03 pm

herbie herbie:
That's what I used to laugh at Jared.... Harper's MPs ranting about immigrants and almost ALL the other Fraser Valley Tory MPs were immigrants.

Preston Manning kept having to put out these kinds of fires during the early days of the Reform Party. His book The New Canada is a fascinating read for a lot of different reasons, but one of them is the story of how he basically had to convince the grassroots in one Vancouver Island riding not to nominate a particularly bigoted radio host as a local candidate.

Previous  1 ... 4  5  6  7  8  9  10 ... 30  Next