Canada Kicks Ass
Enough is enough!!!!

1  2  3  4  Next

Robair @ Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:03 am

Two unrelated fires??!!

Ralph @ Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:27 am

When you hear of electrical fires on sub’s you start hoping that the battery room was not involved. If it was then you might want to start handing out medals to the crew that fought the fire they saved the ship. This could happen to a new sub as well.
I wonder what the warranty is good for?
:wink:

Ralph @ Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:52 am

GODZ
I think someone already mentioned that these ships were just a platform.
The reason the British mothballed them in the first place is because they went nuclear.
There is nothing wrong with diesel electric they are quieter,faster than nuclear subs of the same size, and will do the job that they were bought for. To patrol both coast. They will never be in a battle per say. They will be the eyes and ears of the frigates.
Granted this is a little set back and more than a little embarrassing but we are not sunk yet.

Ralph @ Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:59 am

What the navy has never brought up is will they need to build or buy another ship or two
We have the HMCS Provider and another supply ship but if they are going to station these ships on both coasts then they will need at the very least one other tender ship to supply the subs and give them some range.

Tman1 @ Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:26 pm

Ralph Ralph:
GODZ
I think someone already mentioned that these ships were just a platform.
The reason the British mothballed them in the first place is because they went nuclear.
There is nothing wrong with diesel electric they are quieter,faster than nuclear subs of the same size, and will do the job that they were bought for. To patrol both coast. They will never be in a battle per say. They will be the eyes and ears of the frigates.
Granted this is a little set back and more than a little embarrassing but we are not sunk yet.

Do you know Bill Graham? Because I swear you sound just like him. After all the things that went or could possibly go wrong with the subs in the future you just brush aside and say "oh no problem, their still good even tho they kill people because of shoddy work. Why do you think the British "moth balled" the subs in the first place? Hmmm maybe because they want newer technology that works. And I do believe that nuclear powered is more faster and quieter, not diesel electric. But yah your right we dont really need 1 billion dollar nuclear subs, but buying second hand shit, and from the Brits no less is just plain embarrasing. Probably cost less to design our own subs(wonder why we dont). Also dont understand why we dont buy our shit from the U.S... dont they make better quality military equipment? And yes you maybe right in saying that we probably wont even use them in combat but I can guarantee you that the first shit torpedo we fire will just backfire and kill us instead of them.

Scape @ Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:51 am

Fires on subs happen, but this is a sub that should have been checked by both the Candian and UK officials. Heads gotta roll for this.

Ralph @ Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:42 am

And I do believe that nuclear powered is more faster and quieter, not diesel electric.
In fact Diesel electric is much more quite and the speed is at the very least the same.
The major advantage of an atomic sub is the ability to go unsupplied for long periods of time and to stay submerged much longer than a conventional diesel electric sub
The fact that I also said that if the fire had spread to the battery room there would be medals handed out seems to be lost on you. I have been in two fires myself and it is no joking matter and to think this one was on a sub I couldn’t even imagine how hot and how much toxic smoke there must have been.
And as for my glib coments Did you know that a sailor had died at the time ?NO!
Did you remember that I pointed out the cracked velvs and bent superstructur of the other subs. These are ships that have to be refitted
Much like the way the US refitted there battle ships.
Why dont you crawl down off your high horse with the twenty twenty hind sight and stop pointing at people.

Ralph @ Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:14 am

Uof Saskatchewan

Understand why we don’t buy our shit from the U.S. don’t they make better quality military equipment? And yes you maybe right in saying that we probably wont even use them in combat but I can guarantee you that the first shit torpedo we fire will just backfire and kill us instead of them.

In fact we are refitting the subs to fire the US mark 45 torpedos (this is what you wanted the navy to do buy US weapons) with a Canadian guidance system (also something you stated you would like to see.)All 4 subs will still have to undergo extensive refitting.
Canada will NEVER need a nuclear sub that is reserved for nations that want to enforce their power abroad.

figfarmer @ Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:08 am

It isn't like the politicians who decided to buy somebody else's problems and cook Canadian sailors in them like sardines in the can were thrust upon us by our enemies or appointed by God. They were fairly elected and following the wishes of their constituents. Maybe next time you'll vote for someone who wants to raise taxes for military spending. Yeah, right.

-Mario- @ Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:09 am

One of my students just informed me that a second sailor died today...
Must had been some nasty smoke. Apparently the fire started in the Captain's cabin and the fire went up two decks. Plus a submarire only has soo much oxygene when submerged.

1  2  3  4  Next