Canada Kicks Ass
Faith Goldy is running for Mayor of Toronto

Previous  1 ... 3  4  5  6  7  8  9 ... 21  Next

llama66 @ Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:15 pm

I'm proud of the sacrifice my Great-Uncle and Grandfather made in WW2 so we could sit here in discuss this and not fear the gestapo arresting us for not being good Volksdeutsche.

I get pissed off when its assumed that I somehow tacitly agreed with some horrendous act that some idiot white (for the record I hate identity politics) people committed before I was born.

Tricks @ Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:17 pm

llama66 llama66:
I'm proud of the sacrifice my Great-Uncle and Grandfather made in WW2 so we could sit here in discuss this and not fear the gestapo arresting us for not being good Volksdeutsche.

That's being proud of your Great-Uncle and Grandfather. Just as I'm proud of my Grandfather for serving in the Navy. That's not having pride in yourself because you're white. That's two completely different things.

Coach85 @ Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:33 pm

Tricks Tricks:
I think he's saying don't celebrate the good while ignoring the bad. It's hypocritical to take pride in a white person's accomplishments in the past while simultaneously refusing to be ashamed of a rough history of oppression of other races.

This rings true for any race.

White people shouldn't be ashamed of the past activity of their forefathers unless they took part in the activity. We as humans have to stop this mentality of being perpetually sorry for everything bad that's happened before.

You can celebrate your race without being constantly sorry about things you never were a part of.

Tricks Tricks:
Personally, I think being proud of being a race as fucking dumb, regardless of what race you are. You didn't do anything, why would you be proud of it?

It's funny to read that after your first comment. You're not proud of being white as you didn't do anything nor should you be sorry for anything white people did because you didn't do anything. It's not your fault that you were born white or that your ancestors had slaves.

Freakinoldguy @ Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:49 pm

Tricks Tricks:
Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
So hate speech is okay so long as you aren't running for office?
It's an issue of relevance. If you get someone running for public office who is a white supremacist, and they actually get a forum to spew their nonsense, then yes, it is worse. That's obvious.

$1:
And no you don't have to preface everything with "there are other races that have hate groups too" but by ignoring that fact and focusing on only the white groups and people you prove my point that those other hate groups are getting a pass because of their colour.
Where is that being ignored?
$1:
But answer me this. When was the last time the mainstream media posted anything about the Nation of Islam's antisemitism?

When was the last time they did some relevant? I haven't heard of westboro baptist church in a while either, because they aren't relevant.

Did you read any of Farrakhan's Saviours Day Speech because given the parameters of what is now being considered hate speech by the perpetually butt hurt I'd say he hit a homerun?

But the best part is that during his hate filled tirade the mainstream media managed to ignore they posted numerous pieces on the white supremacists.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... 393c5aca1c

How about this one?

https://forward.com/news/406833/trump-k ... -campaign/

And yet oddly not one word about Louis Farrakhan's speech.

Or this one?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/28/us/w ... s-adl.html

So, unless you can explain why the mainstream media and left keeps ignoring people like Farrakhan and groups like the Nation of Islam I'd say it pretty much proves my point that racism in America and unfortunately Canada is extremely selective. So the only way it's ever going to end is if people stop picking sides because a hate filled racist asshole is a hate filled racist asshole no matter what colour they are.

Tricks @ Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:19 pm

Coach85 Coach85:
White people shouldn't be ashamed of the past activity of their forefathers unless they took part in the activity. We as humans have to stop this mentality of being perpetually sorry for everything bad that's happened before.

You can celebrate your race without being constantly sorry about things you never were a part of.
Celebrate what? How can you personally take pride in something you also had nothing to do with, while simultaneously not being ashamed in nothing you had to do with. Do you see why that doesn't make sense? You're cherry picking the good and ignoring the bad.

$1:
It's funny to read that after your first comment. You're not proud of being white as you didn't do anything nor should you be sorry for anything white people did because you didn't do anything. It's not your fault that you were born white or that your ancestors had slaves.

Exactly. I'm not ashamed of what white people did in the past, nor am I proud of being white.

Tricks @ Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:30 pm

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
Did you read any of Farrakhan's Saviours Day Speech because given the parameters of what is now being considered hate speech by the perpetually butt hurt I'd say he hit a homerun?
Considering I have no idea who Farrakhan is, I'm pretty sure I didn't.

$1:
But the best part is that during his hate filled tirade the mainstream media managed to ignore they posted numerous pieces on the white supremacists.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... 393c5aca1c

How about this one?

https://forward.com/news/406833/trump-k ... -campaign/

And yet oddly not one word about Louis Farrakhan's speech.

Or this one?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/28/us/w ... s-adl.html

So, unless you can explain why the mainstream media and left keeps ignoring people like Farrakhan and groups like the Nation of Islam I'd say it pretty much proves my point that racism in America and unfortunately Canada is extremely selective. So the only way it's ever going to end is if people stop picking sides because a hate filled racist asshole is a hate filled racist asshole no matter what colour they are.

How did they post that during his hate filled tirade 5 months later? Saviours day is in February, those stories are from the last month.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/28/politics ... index.html

CNN did cover Farrakhan's speech, and Jake Tapper called him out on his anti-semitism. He even said he's worse than the "Alt-reich".

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/09/us/l ... story.html

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/loui ... going-down

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/37611 ... tic-speech

https://www.thedailybeast.com/yes-you-r ... nald-trump

I don't really know where you were looking, but there was plenty of condemnation of him.

Coach85 @ Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:40 pm

Tricks Tricks:
How can you personally take pride in something you also had nothing to do with, while simultaneously not being ashamed in nothing you had to do with. Do you see why that doesn't make sense? You're cherry picking the good and ignoring the bad.

For the same reason we're proud to be Canadian. I had nothing to do with being born Canadian, but I'm proud to be Canadian and not ashamed at acts that I wasn't part of.

If people are proud to be black, white, Chinese, whatever...who are we to say they can't be?

Tricks @ Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:47 pm

Coach85 Coach85:
For the same reason we're proud to be Canadian. I had nothing to do with being born Canadian, but I'm proud to be Canadian and not ashamed at acts that I wasn't part of.
Because I'm proud of what Canada stands for today, and to be apart of what it stands for. I don't need any more than that to be proud of being Canadian. Just like if it were to take a turn for the worse, I wouldn't feel proud of it any longer, because it's happening now.
$1:
If people are proud to be black, white, Chinese, whatever...who are we to say they can't be?

No one said they can't be. I just said it's stupid.

N_Fiddledog @ Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:31 pm

Why it's important to acknowledge it's OK to be white

WALSH: The New York Times Just Published One Of The Most Racist Articles You'll Ever Read

$1:
If Twitter is looking to weed out the racism on its platforms, it may want to start with The New York Times. The paper recently published one of the most racist tweets you'll ever see: "New Hampshire is 94% white. It is now trying to figure out how to change that."

Attached to the tweet is a bigoted screed about New Hampshire's whiteness infestation. It begins with the sad tale of a certain Catalina Celentano, who moved to the state and discovered, to her horror, that most of its residents speak English. "She found herself in an ethnic vacuum," the author reports. One worries how Ms. Celentano will react when she learns that the vast majority of the Earth is a non-Spanish speaking "vacuum."

The article continues:

New Hampshire, like its neighbors Vermont and Maine, is nearly all white. This has posed an array of problems for new arrivals, who often find themselves isolated and alone, without the comfort and support of a built-in community.

It has also posed problems for employers in these states, who find that their homogeneity can be a barrier to recruiting and retaining workers of different ethnicities and cultural background.

The issue prompted about 100 business leaders, government officials and members of nonprofit organizations to meet Thursday to search for ways that New Hampshire — which is 94 percent white — might lure other racial and ethnic groups, as well as younger people.

Let us now consider how this all would look if it was written about any other race. Imagine the reaction if The New York Times published something like this:

Detroit, like Atlanta and Birmingham, is nearly all black. This has posed an array of problems for new arrivals, who often find themselves isolated and alone, without the comfort and support of a built-in community.

It has also posed problems for employers in these states, who find that their homogeneity can be a barrier to recruiting and retaining workers of different ethnicities and cultural background.

The issue prompted about 100 business leaders, government officials and members of nonprofit organizations to meet Thursday to search for ways that Detroit — which is 83 percent black — might lure other racial and ethnic groups, as well as younger people.

Change just a few words and suddenly it becomes extremely racist. Or rather, its racism suddenly becomes apparent to even the most obtuse observer. It is racist to treat the preponderance of a certain race as an objective problem. It is racist to try and lower the percentages of a certain race just for the sake of lowering it. It is racist to move to an area and accuse it of being an "ethnic vacuum" just because most of the residents have a different ethnicity from your own. It would be racist if I went to South Korea and scolded it for being Korean, and it is racist if Hispanics follow a similar procedure when they come to America.

The only way to alleviate the racism in this case is to arbitrarily declare that racism, by definition, applies only to the prejudices of white people, but never to the prejudices against them. This is not the definition that you'll find in the dictionary, but it is the definition advanced by the left-wing extremists running academia. College students these days are actually taught that racism is a white invention and an exclusive tool of white oppressors. The hatred of white people by other races is justified, which therefore means it is not racism. But what about the racial hatred that a member of a non-white race may have towards some other non-white race? That doesn't exist, according to our nation's university professors.

But if we can see past this sort of brainwashing, it becomes apparent that the whiteness of New Hampshire is not in itself a problem. Just as the blackness of Detroit, or Baltimore, or Atlanta, is not in itself a problem. We do not need to go around breaking up racial monopolies. The white people of New Hampshire are not engaged in a conspiracy to keep the black folks away. They are just living where they want to live, and the racial dynamics are what they are. Racial diversity is fine if it happens organically, but it does not need to be, and should not be, a project undertaken by social engineers. It is extraordinarily racist to engineer diversity just for the sake of diluting some race's majority. And how can racism in the name of diversity lead to anything but more racism?

https://www.dailywire.com/news/33750/wa ... matt-walsh

Coach85 @ Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:51 pm

Tricks Tricks:
Coach85 Coach85:
Because I'm proud of what Canada stands for today, and to be apart of what it stands for. I don't need any more than that to be proud of being Canadian. Just like if it were to take a turn for the worse, I wouldn't feel proud of it any longer, because it's happening now.

It's funny that you keep saying one thing and then insulting yourself.

Why is it stupid to be proud of a Country but not of a race or group that you belong to?

Jewish people are very proud of what they're people stand for. Blacks too. Hell, even white, non-Jewish people can be proud for many things they have done, created or been part of.

As humans, we have a natural need to belong. Whether it be a church group, a community group, car club, sports team or a general group like a race or religion, we like to be part of something greater than ourselves and be proud of what that group stands for.

Tricks @ Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:23 pm

Coach85 Coach85:
It's funny that you keep saying one thing and then insulting yourself.

Why is it stupid to be proud of a Country but not of a race or group that you belong to?
I literally just explained that. Read what you quoted again. Canada as a country stands for good and acceptance in the world, and I'm proud to support it in that. If the country as a whole suddenly started doing things that I find reprehensible, I wouldn't be proud of it anymore. A race doesn't stand for anything. It literally doesn't mean anything. It's a product of where you were born, because of where your ancestors migrated to, and evolved into. A country you can choose to influence the direction it goes in, with votes, with community involvement, with political involvement. You can't influence the direction of a race, because it's not governed by anything. It's an attribute. Like having blue eyes or being double jointed. Should people be proud of that?
$1:
Jewish people are very proud of what they're people stand for. Blacks too. Hell, even white, non-Jewish people can be proud for many things they have done, created or been part of.
Tell me, what do black people and Jewish people stand for?
$1:
As humans, we have a natural need to belong. Whether it be a church group, a community group, car club, sports team or a general group like a race or religion, we like to be part of something greater than ourselves and be proud of what that group stands for.

The difference is, you choose all of those things. And yes, I know, you don't technically get to choose what your citizenship is, unless you move of course. But you can choose whether to be proud of what your country does currently, and if you believe it follows a moral path. And you can be proud that you try to steer it with your votes, and with your involvement.

Coach85 @ Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:35 pm

Tricks Tricks:
Tell me, what do black people and Jewish people stand for?

Black and Jewish people have something slightly in common. A long fight against discrimination, although different, they have come away from those tragedies with outstanding results. They stand for resiliency and success.

So many Jewish and Black people have made contributions to our society that we (and they) can be proud of. Business, sports, entertainment, the list goes on.

What others accomplish within our race or group is something to be proud of and there's nothing wrong with that.

Tricks @ Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:56 pm

Coach85 Coach85:
Black and Jewish people have something slightly in common. A long fight against discrimination, although different, they have come away from those tragedies with outstanding results. They stand for resiliency and success.

So many Jewish and Black people have made contributions to our society that we (and they) can be proud of. Business, sports, entertainment, the list goes on.

What others accomplish within our race or group is something to be proud of and there's nothing wrong with that.

But do you take that pride personally, or are you proud of that individual.

For instance, I don't take personal pride, as in being proud of myself, for Canada's efforts in Europe during the war. I wasn't alive, I didn't contribute anything, so having pride in myself is strange, and I'd argue self-centered. I have pride in those individuals though. I don't know if I'm explaining the distinction right, it's not something I had really tried to verbalize before.

Example, take someone like Jay-Z (random example, but just happen to have that example in my brain). He came from a rough neighborhood, sold drugs, single mom, had to help her support the family, worked his ass off and became successful. He 100% should be proud of himself for what he accomplished in his life. Should his kids be proud of themselves for being born into the position that he worked for? Or should they be proud of him for achieving that success? Or perhaps both?

Should my roommate (she's Jewish) have pride in herself being Jewish because Steve Ballmer became the CEO of Microsoft?

I think that might be where the disconnect is. I don't have personal pride in myself because of the achievements of others, I have pride in those specific people. I feel like there is a philosophical difference and is certainly something I should think more on.

If I could I'd rep you for making me think harder about this.

Thanos @ Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:40 pm

This is going way off the rails. I'm white but I'm not claiming credit from the (mostly) white guys from previous generations that designed & built the Hoover Dam, wiped out most of the diseases that killed untold millions over the centuries, painted the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, laid the legal & moral foundations that led to most of the other countries in the world surging towards democracy & equality, won the Cold War, put the space program together, or did a million other overwhelmingly positive things for the entire world that this ridiculous age we're now stuck in seems to completely take for granted.

But am I proud of the culture and the society that had the nerve, the intelligence, the wisdom, the strength, the will, the toughness, and the dedication to do those sorts of things over the past two hundred or so years? You're damn right I am. And everyone in this culture should be too.

BRAH @ Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:21 am

Tricks Tricks:
Personally, I think being proud of being a race as fucking dumb, regardless of what race you are. You didn't do anything, why would you be proud of it?

Then it has to be Fucking dumb having pride parades being proud of being Gay, Transgender etc right? Black history month, Heritage festivals celebrating and sharing one's culture right is Fucking dumb right?

Previous  1 ... 3  4  5  6  7  8  9 ... 21  Next