Canada Kicks Ass
Harper's tough talk on China not a surprise

1  2  Next

RUEZ @ Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:04 pm

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Patrick_Ross @ Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:36 am

Wow. Absolutely anything to try and connect Harper with George Bush.

...I wonder what the Liberals will do after 2008?

http://nexusofassholery.blogspot.com/20 ... beral.html

Canadaka @ Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:46 am

I don't really have an opinion on this, don't know enough. But here is something to add.

$1:
As a British Columbian, I have been observing the attitude and actions of Stephen Harper's government towards China with growing concern. The Liberal government's of both Jean Chrétien and Paul Martin believed in constructive engagement with China. They felt that encouraging China to modernise and provide the Chinese people with greater economic freedom would inexorably lead to a higher quality of life and greater political freedoms. I know that this approach is controversial in some quarters, but I have always agreed with it. Having visited China this spring and having had some opportunity to see the impact of economic reform in China first-hand, I agree with this policy more than ever.

Under Liberal governments there were a number of high profile "Team Canada" trade missions and countless agreements with cities and towns, provinces, educational institutes, and businesses in China that created relationships with their counterparts in Canada. We saw Canada chosen as a favoured destination for Chinese tourists, up to 20 million travellers in the coming years, and we saw a strong commitment to developing and funding the Pacific Gateway Strategy to make British Columbia the North American gateway to the Asian marketplace.

In a few short months in office, Stephen Harper and his Conservative government have put all of that at risk. And while this is a serious blow to all Canadians, it is a particularly harsh blow to British Columbians. Funding for the Pacific Gateway project has been delayed and interest in the project has disappeared in our national capital. Conservative members of parliament from BC - even the great Gateway "champion", David Emerson - have gone silent on the issue. Mr. Flaherty, our Finance Minister and the man responsible for creating a cohesive economic vision for Canada, probably doesn't even know what the Pacific Gateway means.

Mr. Harper was in Vietnam this week, attending the G-8 summit. While the six other G-8 leaders met formally with Chinese President Hu Jintao, Mr. Harper did not. He had a brief, informal fifteen-minute meeting after spending much of the previous week spoiling for a fight. The truth is that Mr. Harper is simply conducting himself in international affairs the same way he conducts himself in domestic affairs; like a bully.

As in most foreign policy matters, Mr. Harper appears to be copycatting US President Bush's approach to China. In doing so, Mr. Harper fails to realize that that Canada and the United States have vastly different strategic interests when it comes to China. While it would be nice to believe that the US Congress and President Bush talk tough on China because of concerns with human rights abuses, it stems from a view that China is a growing threat to the United States "sole superpower" status and their overall US strategic interests. Much of the tough talk has also been driven by the same protectionists in the US Congress who ganged up on Canada's softwood lumber industry.

I pass no judgment on US policy towards China. Their interests differ from ours. Mr. Harper, however, cannot be excused for copycatting US policy and harming our national, and particularly our provincial interest. It was particularly inexcusable that he picked a fight with the Chinese government the very week our Premier was in China promoting the Pacific Gateway and Canada as a destination for Chinese tourists, which one can imagine undercut much of that good work.

Some may say that they are happy to see the Prime Minister take a "principled" stand against Chinese human rights abuses. If principle is in any way related to consistency then Mr. Harper and the Conservatives fail that test. I have not heard Mr. Harper asking Alberta-based oil companies to review their conduct in Nigeria. I have not heard Mr. Harper raise concerns with the human rights records of countries allied with the "War on Terror" like Saudi Arabia. No, Mr. Harper's concern for human rights is much more selective - and ideologically driven - than that.

Worse, he totally fails to see that Canada has the opportunity to be the transit point between the world's two great economies - the US and China. There are huge opportunities that arise from this, but they require decisive action and the support of our national government. Otherwise they will be lost.

On October 27th, International Trade Minister David Emerson delivered a speech to the Asia-Pacific Summit in Whistler. He concluded his speech by saying:

"In two weeks, the Prime Minister, Minister MacKay and I will be in Vietnam for the APEC summit. You can be sure, Canada will be visible, active and focused on building the Asian linkages that are so critical to Canada's future."

I wonder what he's saying now?

Sincerely,
Jamie Elmhirst, President
Liberal Party of Canada (BC)

ridenrain @ Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:43 am

Again:
If trade is the end all importance for the Canadian government, why did the Liberals antagonize the Americans? Why piss off our best and largest customer?
China can never offer the trade we get with the US because China does not buy manufactured goods. They buy raw materials and then flood foreign markets with knock-offs. They have also proven that they do not respect international trademarks

It's sort of funny because now the Media has stopped calling the Dali Lama's dual citizenship a good thing but just another way Harper is ticking off China.

SJ-24 @ Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:21 am

Not to forget that China also uses prison labour to manufacture these knock offs. Anyone stupid enough to think otherwise only need to look at the human rights reports stating that prison labout is used in manufacturing.

China is not one of our biggest trading partners and nor do I want them to be. Until they tear down that wall and allow the freedoms we as westerners have, I can't see myself bying anything that is made in China...Which is why i buy US made vehicles and items made in countries I know are free of communist rule.

Harper is a little odd, but he has better judgement than Martin, and everyone has better judgement that Chretien. I think he is 100% right on this issue and I'm sure that he did the one thing that saved the life of this Chinese Canadian, he made his face public and the Chinese do know one thing. Westerners hate people being put to death for something like false charges....assuming they just may be.

tritium @ Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:57 am

SJ-24 SJ-24:
Not to forget that China also uses prison labour to manufacture these knock offs. Anyone stupid enough to think otherwise only need to look at the human rights reports stating that prison labout is used in manufacturing.

Knock offs, not good.

Prisoners doing work, good thing and nothing new.

Prison Work Crews Help Clean Up Road Side

ridenrain @ Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:03 am

Doubt that's Canada and I definately doubt you could compare prisons in China to the ones in Canada.

tritium @ Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:08 am

Once again, this individual (Canadian Citizen) who is being held by his country of birth as a terrorist is no business of Canada's or Harper's.

Our Canadian Security Certificate vs. China's Imprisonment of a Terrorist and Murderer.

Harper needs to STFU!!!

http://zerra.net/freemohamed/detainee_almrei.php

$1:
Original author: Press Release
Source: ICLMG
URL: n/a
Date: April 27, 2006

International Civil Liberties Monitoring Group
Coalition pour la surveillance internationale des
libertés civiles
1 Nicholas Street, Suite 300
Ottawa, Ontario
K1N 7B7

Tel. (613) 241-5298 / Fax (613) 241-5302

Statement
April 27, 2006
For Immediate Release

OTTAWA. Members of the International Civil Liberties Monitoring Group (ICLMG), a national coalition set up to monitor the impact of anti-terrorism legislation and other counter terror measures, reiterate their condemnation of the use of security certificates to fight terrorism.

The ICLMG wishes to remind Prime Minister Harper and his government that, distilled to their simplest form, the basic values that define a just and democratic society are the rule of law and respect for human dignity, principles that are embodied in Canada's legal traditions and the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. With the use of security certificates under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, and other similar measures contained in the Anti-Terrorism Act, we are witnessing a rapid and dangerous erosion of the right to due process that has always been at the core of the Canadian justice system.

Articles 2, 7 and 15 of the Charter guarantee fundamental freedoms, legal rights and equality rights to everyone. The security certificate's distinction between citizens and non-citizens is a violation of fundamental fairness and equality that hopefully will be redressed when the Supreme Court reviews the legitimacy of this measure in June. While the pressures of national security will likely weigh heavily in this review, the Court will have an opportunity to follow the courageous lead set by the British House of Lords in 2004 when it ruled Britain's security certificate-style procedure incompatible with the European Convention on Human Rights. The Lords also concluded that the indefinite detention of non-citizens terrorist suspects was a disproportionate and discriminatory way to deal with terrorism.

Regrettably, the opening of the new facilities in Milhaven for security certificate detainees appears to signal that Canada is opting for the arbitrary and long-term incarceration of suspected terrorists it does not want to set free or turn over to transparent and open courts, thus choosing the path of lawlessness.

We urge parliamentarians, and the Harper government in particular, to acknowledge that lawlessness is not the path Canadians want to choose. A failure to address the breach of fundamental justice and the lack of due process, both in the Anti-Terrorism Act and in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, will raise serious questions as to Canada's role as an accomplice in flagrant violations of basic human rights and the negation of international covenants.

The fear fuelled by the events of September 2001 has made some people think that weakening legal safeguards and trampling on human rights will make us safer. In fact, we are made safer by laws and processes that guarantee respect for human rights.

We reiterate our belief that Parliament and the government of Canada must reassert a commitment to the essential rights and protections of individuals as embodied in Canada's Constitution and Charter of Rights and Freedoms by reinstituting due process and respect for the rule of law, both domestically and internationally. This is the minimal essential requirement to preserve our fundamental democratic values and to begin to address the root causes of terorism.

The International Civil Liberties Monitoring Group was established in the aftermath of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attack in the United States. The coalition brings together 36 NGOs, unions, professional associations, faith groups, environmental organizations, human rights and civil liberties advocates, as well as groups representing immigrant and refugee communities in Canada who came together to share their concerns about the impact of new anti-terrorism legislation and other counter terror measures.

For more information, please contact:

Roch Tassé
Co-ordinator International Civil Liberties Monitoring
Group
(613) 241-5298
rocht at iclmg.ca

Posted by Brian on Wednesday 03 May 2006 - 18:50:54
in category Communique

tritium @ Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:10 am

ridenrain ridenrain:
Doubt that's Canada and I definately doubt you could compare prisons in China to the ones in Canada.

Personally, I can't say, I have not been in prison in China or Canada.

Why have you been in a Canadian prison? or Chinese Prison?

SJ-24 @ Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:58 pm

I think you can make a case for the vast differences between a jail in Canada or USA and that of a prison in China. People are lucky to survive a 1 year prison tour in China. Five years in a North American "Club Fed" is nothing. :roll:

tritium @ Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:20 pm

SJ-24 SJ-24:
I think you can make a case for the vast differences between a jail in Canada or USA and that of a prison in China. People are lucky to survive a 1 year prison tour in China. Five years in a North American "Club Fed" is nothing. :roll:

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005- ... 822760.htm

Fuck man you commit a crime toss the fucker in a hole. It's not suppose to be a club med, it's suppose to be punishment.

USCAdad @ Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:42 pm

SJ-24 SJ-24:

China is not one of our biggest trading partners and nor do I want them to be. Until they tear down that wall and allow the freedoms we as westerners have, I can't see myself bying anything that is made in China...Which is why i buy US made vehicles and items made in countries I know are free of communist rule.

Harper is a little odd, but he has better judgement than Martin, and everyone has better judgement that Chretien. I think he is 100% right on this issue and I'm sure that he did the one thing that saved the life of this Chinese Canadian, he made his face public and the Chinese do know one thing. Westerners hate people being put to death for something like false charges....assuming they just may be.

I'm with you on this one. I'm glad Stephen made a strong statement. I'm not sure I'm glad about the way he made it. Still organ harvesting might seem pressing if you were the one under the knife.

The Chinese are very shrewed forceful players. They've been putting pressure on Canada in their trade deals, they play their currency. I'm glad Canada is standing up. I'm not against trade or trade with China. In fact, I support divirsifying trade from the current US depot for America. It's just that I think Canada has a stronger hand than it's used to playing.

I'm completely disgusted with the Libs for their critisism on this point. I'm really sick of partisan politics that are obviously empty otherwise. They don't need to do this. They would be better off supporting Canada by praising Harper when he does good, and giving good reasons for oposition when he strays. Playing political tag seems unconscionable given the worlds current state.

Patrick_Ross @ Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:04 pm

tritium tritium:
Once again, this individual (Canadian Citizen) who is being held by his country of birth as a terrorist is no business of Canada's or Harper's.

Our Canadian Security Certificate vs. China's Imprisonment of a Terrorist and Murderer.

Harper needs to STFU!!!

$1:

libertés civiles
Ottawa, Ontario
K1N 7B7

Statement
April 27, 2006
For Immediate Release

OTTAWA. Members of the International Civil Liberties Monitoring Group (ICLMG), a national coalition set up to monitor the impact of anti-terrorism legislation and other counter terror measures, reiterate their condemnation of the use of security certificates to fight terrorism.

The ICLMG wishes to remind Prime Minister Harper and his government that, distilled to their simplest form, the basic values that define a just and democratic society are the rule of law and respect for human dignity, principles that are embodied in Canada's legal traditions and the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. With the use of security certificates under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, and other similar measures contained in the Anti-Terrorism Act, we are witnessing a rapid and dangerous erosion of the right to due process that has always been at the core of the Canadian justice system.

Articles 2, 7 and 15 of the Charter guarantee fundamental freedoms, legal rights and equality rights to everyone. The security certificate's distinction between citizens and non-citizens is a violation of fundamental fairness and equality that hopefully will be redressed when the Supreme Court reviews the legitimacy of this measure in June. While the pressures of national security will likely weigh heavily in this review, the Court will have an opportunity to follow the courageous lead set by the British House of Lords in 2004 when it ruled Britain's security certificate-style procedure incompatible with the European Convention on Human Rights. The Lords also concluded that the indefinite detention of non-citizens terrorist suspects was a disproportionate and discriminatory way to deal with terrorism.

Regrettably, the opening of the new facilities in Milhaven for security certificate detainees appears to signal that Canada is opting for the arbitrary and long-term incarceration of suspected terrorists it does not want to set free or turn over to transparent and open courts, thus choosing the path of lawlessness.

We urge parliamentarians, and the Harper government in particular, to acknowledge that lawlessness is not the path Canadians want to choose. A failure to address the breach of fundamental justice and the lack of due process, both in the Anti-Terrorism Act and in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, will raise serious questions as to Canada's role as an accomplice in flagrant violations of basic human rights and the negation of international covenants.

The fear fuelled by the events of September 2001 has made some people think that weakening legal safeguards and trampling on human rights will make us safer. In fact, we are made safer by laws and processes that guarantee respect for human rights.

We reiterate our belief that Parliament and the government of Canada must reassert a commitment to the essential rights and protections of individuals as embodied in Canada's Constitution and Charter of Rights and Freedoms by reinstituting due process and respect for the rule of law, both domestically and internationally. This is the minimal essential requirement to preserve our fundamental democratic values and to begin to address the root causes of terorism.

The International Civil Liberties Monitoring Group was established in the aftermath of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attack in the United States. The coalition brings together 36 NGOs, unions, professional associations, faith groups, environmental organizations, human rights and civil liberties advocates, as well as groups representing immigrant and refugee communities in Canada who came together to share their concerns about the impact of new anti-terrorism legislation and other counter terror measures.

Roch Tassé
Group
(613) 241-5298
rocht at iclmg.ca

in category Communique

Interesting. And who signed the Security Certificate for this individual?

...That's right... it was Anne McLelland.

But nice try, Triti.

Patrick_Ross @ Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:04 pm

tritium tritium:

Harper needs to STFU!!!

$1:

libertés civiles
Ottawa, Ontario
K1N 7B7

Statement
April 27, 2006
For Immediate Release

Roch Tassé
Group
(613) 241-5298
rocht at iclmg.ca

in category Communique

Interesting. And who signed the Security Certificate for this individual?

...That's right... it was Anne McLelland.

But nice try, Triti.

1  2  Next