Canada Kicks Ass
Harpers snub of Charter of Rights & Freedoms 25th annive

1  2  Next

Whos_Voting_Oil @ Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:52 am

Harpers snub of Charter of Rights and Freedoms 25th anniversary 'shocking'
Tue Apr 17, 6:05 AM
Jean Chrétien says he is shocked that the federal Conservative government has no plans to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
"We're celebrating the 25th anniversary this week and they don't want to have anything to do about it. It's just kind of shocking," the former prime minister told CBC News on Monday.
Chrétien helped enshrine the charter into the Constitution on April 17, 1982, as justice minister in prime minister Pierre Trudeau's government. Chretién will be speaking at a conference at the University of Ottawa to mark the anniversary.
Jack Jedwab, one of the conference organizers, told CanWest News last week that Harper, Justice Minister Rob Nicholson, Heritage Minister Bev Oda and former justice minister Vic Toews had been invited to address the April 16-17 event, but declined.
"[Former Progressive Conservative prime minister John] Diefenbaker was such a proponent of the Charter of Rights," Chrétien said. "I hope they will not put the flag at half-mast [Tuesday] because it will be the anniversary."
Harper and critics have complained in the past that judges have used the charter to undermine the powers of Parliament.
Harper was barely a month into office when he suggested judges should show greater deference to Parliament and "apply the law, not make it."
With files from the Canadian Press

Whos_Voting_Oil @ Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:08 am

I don’t think these polls mean shit the good campaign ads and catchy slogans will win over conservative voters! No depth or facts required.

Homer: Can't someone else do it?! "The Garbageman Can".

Gap narrows between Tories, Liberals: poll
1 hour, 41 minutes ago

OTTAWA (CP) - A new poll suggests the gap between the Conservatives and Liberals has narrowed to three percentage points, another signal that a spring federal election may be on hold afterall.

The survey by Decima Research, provided exclusively to The Canadian Press, put Tory support at 34 per cent nationally. That's far short of majority government territory and two points back of where the Conservatives were on election day in January 2006.

The Liberals polled 31 per cent nationally, while the NDP got 15 per cent, the Green party 11, and the Bloc Quebecois, seven.

Political sabre-rattling by the Tory government in recent months had Liberals claiming Prime Minister Stephen Harper was set to engineer his own defeat and force an election.

But Decima CEO Bruce Anderson says volatility in public opinion makes that a very risky proposition for anyone seeking a majority mandate.

The situation is especially intriguing in Quebec, where the Bloc hit a new low of 29 per cent, and the upstart Greens tracked 13 per cent.

The Liberals led the Tories 23-20 in the province, while the NDP trailed with 10 per cent support.

The telephone poll of more than 1,000 respondents, contacted Thursday through Sunday, is considered accurate within plus or minus 3.1 per cent, 19 times in 20.

Canadaka @ Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:44 pm

I agree it is rather sad that Harper is snubbing such a milestone in our history. I think many Canadians might think the Charter's anniversery is just as important in defining Canada as the Vimmy Ridge one is.

At least our cerimonial Head of State has the respect to mark the anniversary.

neoconNed @ Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:41 pm

Hey now, leave my boy alone. I think he has a hair appointment that day, not that it's any of your business.

His patented "frosty grey" hair will get us a majority!

EyeBrock @ Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:17 pm

Give me a break. The 'holy and blessed charter' , worshipped by those who despised what Canada was before 1982.

It's really just a great tool for lawyers that was dreamed up by lawyers. Che-ching.

Our consitution should not be in stone or vague like the charter.

Those who love it should spend a day in court and see wife beaters, drug dealers and gang bangers taking full advantage of their 'charter rights'.

Tough shit if you are a victim. PET never really thought of them.

Happy 25th my arse.

EyeBrock @ Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:20 pm

Canadaka Canadaka:
I agree it is rather sad that Harper is snubbing such a milestone in our history. I think many Canadians might think the Charter's anniversery is just as important in defining Canada as the Vimmy Ridge one is.

Its spelt 'Vimy' and comparing the two besmirches the memory of those who died that Easter Monday in 1917.

Who died defending the charter? Lawyers have just got rich from it.

thelaw @ Wed May 09, 2007 3:56 pm

Canadaka Canadaka:

The charter took away more rights than it gave you. Where did P.E.Trudeau get rights to give you? The only power he had was given to him by the god of corruption. In a democracy the people give powers to the government; in a dictatorship the government assumes power that it rightly does not have. your right of innocent does not apply to how CCRA opperates. They fix court cases and then fabricate transcripts to match their judgment. Take control of all your assets , and finances including your ability to continue to earn a living. Now what have you to pay a lawyer to represent you , your nothwithstanding clause.

thelaw @ Wed May 09, 2007 4:05 pm

Canadaka Canadaka:

Why does the government not celebrate the anniversary of the statute of Weatminster which gave the people and provinces their independence; and they quit being a colony in 1931 ?.

Delwin @ Wed May 09, 2007 4:18 pm

Well I think the Conservatives are maybe just a bit jealous, that they don't have a day to celebrate one of their monumental achievements in Canadian politics. Perhaps if we set aside a day to celebrate NAFTA or the GST, we would get a more balanced reaction.

Patrick_Ross @ Wed May 09, 2007 4:49 pm

:roll:

The Charter, as the Bill of Rights, was written and passed by Diefenbaker, genius.

What did Trudeau do? Entrench it in the constitution, repatriate said constitution without Quebec as a signatory, and create a constitutional crisis that has yet to be resolved.

You want to mark a Liberal "achievement"?

Try each October 30, smart guy.

Delwin @ Wed May 09, 2007 5:34 pm

Patrick_Ross Patrick_Ross:

The Charter, as the Bill of Rights, was written and passed by Diefenbaker, genius.

What did Trudeau do? Entrench it in the constitution, repatriate said constitution without Quebec as a signatory, and create a constitutional crisis that has yet to be resolved.

Completely different documents:

First of all, the bill of rights was limited in scope, being a federal statute, it only applied to federal laws. It was easily amendable by parliament, and it lacked legislation which would guarantee democratic, mobility, equality, official language, and minority language rights. It also does not offer protection for aboriginal treaty rights. It also happens to contain about 1/4 of the text of the charter, it was easily amendable by parliament, and all law essentially took priority over individual rights.

By entrenching the charter, Trudeau, guaranteed us these rights and ensured that they could not be denied whether we are in federal, provincial or civil court.

Sounds like cause for celebration to me.

Please enlighten me on why I should celebrate Oct.30.

thelaw @ Wed May 09, 2007 8:21 pm

Delwin Delwin:

First of all, the bill of rights was limited in scope, being a federal statute, it only applied to federal laws. It was easily amendable by parliament, and it lacked legislation which would guarantee democratic, mobility, equality, official language, and minority language rights. It also does not offer protection for aboriginal treaty rights. It also happens to contain about 1/4 of the text of the charter, it was easily amendable by parliament, and all law essentially took priority over individual rights.

By entrenching the charter, Trudeau, guaranteed us these rights and ensured that they could not be denied whether we are in federal, provincial or civil court.

Get a copy of the queens bench Winnipeg Centre File No CI 05-01-432332 Between GERALD ZUCAWICH and BANK of Montreal then get back to me.
You obviously have only political propaganda; and no practical experience in such matters. The master ruled the constitution does not apply to the bankin protecting your constitutional rights you think you have.. I have experienced corrupt judges and this is just another one.

Knoss @ Wed May 09, 2007 8:47 pm

More importaint then the charter is out that this is our 25th year of independance. The charter is importaint but there is room for improvement.

Delwin @ Wed May 09, 2007 9:28 pm

thelaw thelaw:
Delwin Delwin:

Get a copy of the queens bench Winnipeg Centre File No CI 05-01-432332 Between GERALD ZUCAWICH and BANK of Montreal then get back to me.
You obviously have only political propaganda; and no practical experience in such matters. The master ruled the constitution does not apply to the bankin protecting your constitutional rights you think you have.. I have experienced corrupt judges and this is just another one.
I'm sorry, I could only find limited info. From what I gather, the bank owned the land, the city was developing, they expropriated they land from the bank, your first suit was against the bank, in 84?, you had two subsequent cases against the dept. of Urban Affairs in 89, and 90, and received what you believed to be inadequate compensation ? Your going to have to help me out, I can't obtain the details without actually going there.

I am sorry for your loss, and it certainly explains your perspective. I always felt that Trudeau made a mistake by not including the right to own property in the charter. However, as this right is not in the charter, how can you argue that it is not protected ?

thelaw @ Wed May 09, 2007 10:00 pm

Delwin Delwin:
thelaw thelaw:
Delwin Delwin:

I'm sorry, I could only find limited info. From what I gather, the bank owned the land, the city was developing, they expropriated they land from the bank, your first suit was against the bank, in 84?, you had two subsequent cases against the dept. of Urban Affairs in 89, and 90, and received what you believed to be inadequate compensation ? Your going to have to help me out, I can't obtain the details without actually going there.

I am sorry for your loss, and it certainly explains your perspective. I always felt that Trudeau made a mistake by not including the right to own property in the charter. However, as this right is not in the charter, how can you argue that it is not protected ?

Totally wrong It deals with the bank stealing my trading account saying it was for my protection. I used to make a living trading stocks ; but the bank has now suspended my trading account. I have $38000 cash plus stocks in the account and can't even get into my on line trading account. When someone deprives you of your possesions that is theft.

1  2  Next