Canada Kicks Ass
If Rae was liberal leader, would they be in majority territo

1  2  3  Next

Iamacanadian @ Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:01 pm

The liberals threw in their future when they elected a weak leader and a person lacking chrisma in Stephane Dion to lead the already disorganized party. Now I was wondering if Bob Rae enters parliament and runs for Liberal leader should Stephane Dion step down after disappointing election and poll results would he be the next to lead the liberal party back to a majority and back to power?

Unlike Ignatieff, Rae has professional politicial experience running Ontario as a reasonable Premier. I think that he would make a great Prime Minister.

Don't you agree?

ryan29 @ Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:18 pm

Iamacanadian Iamacanadian:
The liberals threw in their future when they elected a weak leader and a person lacking chrisma in Stephane Dion to lead the already disorganized party. Now I was wondering if Bob Rae enters parliament and runs for Liberal leader should Stephane Dion step down after disappointing election and poll results would he be the next to lead the liberal party back to a majority and back to power?

Unlike Ignatieff, Rae has professional politicial experience running Ontario as a reasonable Premier. I think that he would make a great Prime Minister.

Don't you agree?

Bob Rae ? as leader going for a majroity ?

first think he has more problems in Ontario than he's willing to admit. the NDP has recovered and is winning seats again without bob rae as leader of the Ontario ndp . thats a problem for the liberals because they are also losing seats federally to the ndp in Ontario. don't think if Bob rae was leader these people would stop voting ndp .

in the rest of Canada nobody really knows much about Bob Rae other than he was a one term premier of Ontario who got booted out . thats not going to help him much .

hurley_108 @ Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:19 pm

I think he's capable. I was hoping for Rae or Kennedy to win the leadership. Either one could potentially draw me from the NDP to the Liberals if they led the Liberal party in a progressive enough direction. That would be Rae's strength, the ability to lessen the vote-splitting on the left, by consolidating support for the stronger party.

Whos_Voting_Oil @ Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:19 pm

Yes I would totally agree!

PluggyRug @ Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:30 pm

ryan29 ryan29:

Don't you agree?

Bob Rae ? as leader going for a majroity ?

first think he has more problems in Ontario than he's willing to admit. the NDP has recovered and is winning seats again without bob rae as leader of the Ontario ndp . thats a problem for the liberals because they are also losing seats federally to the ndp in Ontario. don't think if Bob rae was leader these people would stop voting ndp .

in the rest of Canada nobody really knows much about Bob Rae other than he was a one term premier of Ontario who got booted out . thats not going to help him much .

Correct...to many Ontarians remember "Rae Days"

$1:
The NDP administration took only four years to add $40 billion of debt.

Bob Rae’s NDP government cut health care costs by reducing the number of doctors graduating from medical schools. The legacy of such a move? A severe shortage of physicians.

Anyone earning more than $67,000 a year was considered rich. And, under his government, those individuals had to endure the highest marginal tax rate in all of North America.

In looking at the devastation that the NDP had wrought to Ontario, record debt, record deficits and record job losses, Rae’s government hired over 100,000 more public servants and gave out large increases to most of the public sector. And then?

The NDP government ordered a wage freeze and told the public servants to stay home two weeks a year without pay.

Rae Days. Perhaps the most enduring legacy of Bob Rae’s handling of government.

I think the Liberal vote would dwindle if he had become leader.

Bodah @ Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:37 pm

The uspoken rule about liberal leaders no matter how good their french is, they have to be from La belle province.

hurley_108 @ Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:40 pm

Bodah Bodah:
The uspoken rule about liberal leaders no matter how good their french is, they have to be from La belle province.

Cetainly does seem that way, doesn't it?

ryan29 @ Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:01 pm

hurley_108 hurley_108:
I think he's capable. I was hoping for Rae or Kennedy to win the leadership. Either one could potentially draw me from the NDP to the Liberals if they led the Liberal party in a progressive enough direction. That would be Rae's strength, the ability to lessen the vote-splitting on the left, by consolidating support for the stronger party.

but if the liberal party went too far to the left under Bob Rae they would lose more "moderate" voters to the conservatives in key suburban ridings in Ontario and BC .
believe it or not most of the suburbs around Toronto never voted for Bob Rae when he was NDP premier back in 1990 , those ridings all voted liberal or PC.

then the party wouldn't be ahead , just have more support on the left and in traditionaly left of centre ridings.

hurley_108 @ Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:05 pm

ryan29 ryan29:
hurley_108 hurley_108:

but if the liberal party went too far to the left under Bob Rae they would lose more "moderate" voters to the conservatives in key suburban ridings in Ontario and BC .
believe it or not most of the suburbs around Toronto never voted for Bob Rae when he was NDP premier back in 1990 , those ridings all voted liberal or PC.

then the party wouldn't be ahead , just have more support on the left and in traditionaly left of centre ridings.

Yea, but he was flying the NDP flag then. Who knows what people would do if he led the Liberals.

What the Liberals need is a strong leader who's good and separate from the Chretien/Martin debacle. Dion's neither.

ryan29 @ Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:05 pm

hurley_108 hurley_108:
Bodah Bodah:

Cetainly does seem that way, doesn't it?

the last 3 have been from Quebec , the liberals seem to think they need a leader from Quebec for some reason.

CanadianGigolo @ Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:25 pm

ROTFL Canada gets FEDERAL BOB RAE DAYS! All beaucraps work for free.........OK, I'll by that! [popcorn] Sammy

Patrick_Ross @ Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:49 pm

Trying to creep into majority territory by choosing a leader who will repel NDP supporters?

How does that work?

icekarma2752 @ Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:59 pm

dion is nothing compared to rae but unfortunately the ont ppl arent very forgiving of him from his stint as permier...kind of a shame since theres just something about rae that i do like..even as much as harper needs to clean up his act rae would never take harper down

ryan29 @ Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:25 pm

icekarma2752 icekarma2752:
dion is nothing compared to rae but unfortunately the ont ppl arent very forgiving of him from his stint as permier...kind of a shame since theres just something about rae that i do like..even as much as harper needs to clean up his act rae would never take harper down

lately in general ontarians don't seem to look back kindly on any of their premiers. Peterson , Rae, Harris and Eves all aren't vieded kindly by voters here.

being the former premier of Ontario doesn't seem to do much good on your resume.

HyperionTheEvil @ Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:23 pm

Don't you agree?

It's a little late now.

And for the record im perfectly happy with Dion. for the reason is that he has no appeal across the broad mass of Canadians, he inarticulate, arrogant , and elitist.

In short he's a true Liberal

1  2  3  Next