Canada Kicks Ass
New law would allow Alberta to restrict flow of oil and gas

1  2  3  4  5  Next

bootlegga @ Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:12 am

New law would allow Alberta to restrict flow of oil and gas as Trans Mountain battle escalates

$1:
Alberta has granted sweeping new powers to its energy minister, including the ability to cut off all exports of oil, natural gas and refined fuels, as the province escalates its trade war with British Columbia.

Introduced Monday, Bill 12 or Preserving Canada’s Economic Prosperity Act, is aimed at the B.C. government, which has obstructed the construction of Kinder Morgan Inc.’s $7.4-billion Trans Mountain pipeline expansion to the West Coast. But the powers in the new legislation go far beyond restricting oil flowing through the Trans Mountain system.

When in force, the law would require companies to obtain a licence from the minister to send crude oil, natural gas or refined fuels such as gasoline out of the province in any direction and on any form of transportation, including pipelines, railway cars or trucks.

“The powers in this legislation are not powers that Alberta wants to use, but we will do so if it means long-term benefit for the industry, for Alberta, and for Canada,” Alberta Energy Minister Marg McCuaig-Boyd said.

Currently, only natural gas producers need an export licence from the Alberta Energy Regulator to send their gas out of province, but this law will extend that requirement to oil and refined fuel producers and give license-granting authority to the energy minister.

More here:

http://business.financialpost.com/commo ... il-and-gas

DrCaleb @ Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:47 am

Let the Western bastards freeze in the dark. ;)

Robair @ Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:00 am

I better tune up my bicycle. :|

Freakinoldguy @ Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:44 am

I watched this whiny twit on TV last night complaining that cutting off the flow of oil to BC was illegal. Strange how the assholes who run BC want their cake and eat it to.

$1:
B.C. Attorney General David Eby says his officials are now carefully reviewing the new Alberta legislation that was unveiled on Monday.

“If there is anything in this legislation that even suggests the possibility of discrimination against British Columbians, we will take every step necessary to protect British Columbians because it would be completely illegal,” said Eby. “It is very difficult for us to forget the context by which this was introduced.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/4148475/brit ... tion-bill/

But, claiming discrimination as a reason to keep Alberta's oil flowing to BC, is the lamest excuse I've ever seen. I guess if you're the BC NDP discriminating against Alberta's ability to make a living is A-Okay so long as they give you what you want.

49ea460fbb88d8a5d0e3cfcc08f5e24d.jpg
49ea460fbb88d8a5d0e3cfcc08f5e24d.jpg [ 18.06 KiB | Viewed 556 times ]

Fucking hypocrites.

DrCaleb @ Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:51 am

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
Fucking hypocrites.

[B-o]

Just like the ones who attend pipeline protests, but didn't arrive on their bicycles.

Suddenly it matters, when the money is coming out of their own pockets. But if it's Alberta that is missing out on billions in royalties, well, that's fine. We don't need schools, or roads, or fire trucks.

But the Green Party will start to notice when it costs $300 to fill up their BMW, and the BC Government only covers $100 of that.

herbie @ Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:25 pm

When cutting off your own nose to spite your face is a solution people cheer, there's no hope for things at all.

Mowich @ Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:22 pm

I watched this whiny twit on TV last night complaining that cutting off the flow of oil to BC was illegal. Strange how the assholes who run BC want their cake and eat it to.

$1:
B.C. Attorney General David Eby says his officials are now carefully reviewing the new Alberta legislation that was unveiled on Monday.

“If there is anything in this legislation that even suggests the possibility of discrimination against British Columbians, we will take every step necessary to protect British Columbians because it would be completely illegal,” said Eby. “It is very difficult for us to forget the context by which this was introduced.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/4148475/brit ... tion-bill/

But, claiming discrimination as a reason to keep Alberta's oil flowing to BC, is the lamest excuse I've ever seen. I guess if you're the BC NDP discriminating against Alberta's ability to make a living is A-Okay so long as they give you what you want.

49ea460fbb88d8a5d0e3cfcc08f5e24d.jpg

Fucking hypocrites.

R=UP R=UP

Mowich @ Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:23 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Fucking hypocrites.

[B-o]

Just like the ones who attend pipeline protests, but didn't arrive on their bicycles.

Suddenly it matters, when the money is coming out of their own pockets. But if it's Alberta that is missing out on billions in royalties, well, that's fine. We don't need schools, or roads, or fire trucks.

But the Green Party will start to notice when it costs $300 to fill up their BMW, and the BC Government only covers $100 of that.

R=UP R=UP

Mowich @ Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:25 pm

I see that Saskatchewan will be tabling legislation in support of AB, and will contribute funds if necessary for investments in the line. Well done SK.

Zipperfish @ Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:27 pm

Well here's Alberta and Sask seeking to nationalize the oil industry after all these years.

This is all just a bunch of posturing anyways. Trudeau is smacking BC, as the pipeline is clearly federal jurisdiction; there's really no need for any further action. BC will have to eat it at the end of the day, and everybody in the know knows it. (The exception being if market forces cause a change of heart at KM.)

This is just Albertans pandering for votes. And that's Alberta for ya--brag like Toronto, whine like Quebec.

Thanos @ Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:17 pm

War is a procession of precedents. Don't like it when someone bombs you? Then don't be the one to drop the bombs first.

Freakinoldguy @ Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:26 pm

As for BC's NDP, Greens and criminal protesters hoping that the natives will be able do what they can't and stop KM by sending the issue to court, I seriously doubt that will happen.

Any court that has a grain of sanity left isn't likely to allow these non involved bitching Bands the right to impede or stop the progress and financial gain of the Bands that actually have a stake in the project and who's land the pipeline crosses. :roll:

$1:
The pipeline crosses nine First Nations Reserves in British Columbia, all of which Trans Mountain has agreements with.

http://www.jwnenergy.com/article/2016/1 ... er-morgan/

But this guy is a major part of the problem. He thinks he speaks for the bands that have agreements with Kinder Morgan and that he has the right to deny them the profits and benefits of those negotiations.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/04/1 ... _23411828/

But here's one for all you UN lovers who think their toothless declarations mean squat in Canada.

$1:
The Trudeau government’s embrace earlier this year of a United Nations declaration does not confer on First Nations a veto on natural resource projects in their territories, according to Indigenous Affairs Minister Carolyn Bennett.
ROTFL

http://vancouversun.com/news/politics/u ... o-minister

BartSimpson @ Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:32 pm

California is facing much the same kind of thing.

The coal-fired electric plants in Arizona and Nevada are threatening to cut off power to California this summer unless California backs off on its nutty ideas of enforcing state law on other states.

Yes, my house already has a back up generator.

Thanos @ Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:39 pm

The overly-righteous and self-satisfied bullies have a bad tendency to believe that their enemies will never fight back. And it comes as a massive ego-shattering blow to them when the other guy has had enough and nails them hard right in the nose.

BartSimpson @ Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:20 pm

Thanos Thanos:
The overly-righteous and self-satisfied bullies have a bad tendency to believe that their enemies will never fight back. And it comes as a massive ego-shattering blow to them when the other guy has had enough and nails them hard right in the nose.

They're always so surprised when things don't work out for them the way they're accustomed to things working out.

I really, really wish I could say more on this topic.

1  2  3  4  5  Next