Canada Kicks Ass
New Study Exposes Corporate Bias In Canadian Media

1  2  Next

Scape @ Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:58 pm

CDN_PATRIOT @ Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:20 pm

Someone had to do a study to figure this out?

8O

-J.

DrCaleb @ Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:04 pm

Just curious still, because no one answers this - why does bias matter?

Shouldn't "truth" be the measure of the media? We are human, and humans have bias. No getting around that. But so long as they tell the truth, who cares?

Thanos @ Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:03 pm

Somewhere along the line basic objectivity in reporting, which is something that all journalists should strive for, got replaced by a quest for pure & total neutrality. And that's something that's simply impossible to accomplish for any human who's ever lived. That's why editors are so crucial to the system, to corral any reporter's urges to go off-reservation and use their role to promote their own politics & world-view. The crisis in journalism today is something that could be easily fixed by returning to strong standards & practices and by once again making the editors into a literal tyrant that doesn't allow the BS of anyone's personal opinions to poison the newsroom.

What I find far more worrying is the modern simpleton's new belief that somehow the vaunted "citizen journalist" of the current age is somehow more honest than big bad corporate media is. The entire concept is utterly ridiculous, as proven by every axe-grinding & ideological piece of shit from Julian Assange to Ezra Levant to the kook who shot up the pizza restaurant in DC to Alex Jones to the Antifa garbage who participate in rioting & looting and then take out a camera and go "hands off, pigs, I'm a journalist". These kind of bastards have single-handedly put all of us into a state of perpetual social & cultural crisis with their activities, and will continue to do so for as long as they're safely allowed by legal rights to incite violence & promote conspiracy theories under the guise of being actual real journalists.

Scape @ Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:24 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Just curious still, because no one answers this - why does bias matter?

Shouldn't "truth" be the measure of the media? We are human, and humans have bias. No getting around that. But so long as they tell the truth, who cares?

Bias, as it extends to corporatism, is important to disclose as it ascribes intent. Without seeing the motivation you can't see the why.

Scape @ Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:33 pm

Thanos Thanos:
What I find far more worrying is the modern simpleton's new belief that somehow the vaunted "citizen journalist" of the current age is somehow more honest than big bad corporate media is. The entire concept is utterly ridiculous, as proven by every axe-grinding & ideological piece of shit from Julian Assange to Ezra Levant to the kook who shot up the pizza restaurant in DC to Alex Jones to the Antifa garbage who participate in rioting & looting and then take out a camera and go "hands off, pigs, I'm a journalist". These kind of bastards have single-handedly put all of us into a state of perpetual social & cultural crisis with their activities, and will continue to do so for as long as they're safely allowed by legal rights to incite violence & promote conspiracy theories under the guise of being actual real journalists.

How is "citizen journalist" any worse than Rachel Maddows Russia, Russia, or Brian Williams is ‘guided by the beauty of our weapons’ in Syria strikes?

Thanos @ Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:14 pm

The "citizen journalist" is to genuine reporting as what drinking bleach is to fighting COVID. It is always quite literally the worst thing anyone can ever do when they put their faith in someone who has absolutely no expertise, no training, no ethical code governing their conduct, and chock-full of enough malicious snake-oil peddler bullshit to say "just trust me". Everyone has an agenda, especially those trying to convince you that they don't, that the "raw unedited truth" is their only mission.

Do you trust the pilot who spent years in training, has a yearly medical examination, and has to pass regular drug tests to fly the jetliner with 500 lives in his hands? Or do you get on board fully knowing that the guy in the cockpit spends most of his time in the basement getting wasted, eating Doritos, and whose training consists of a couple hundred hours playing World Of Warplanes? The choice is always yours but don't expect too many others to go along with your wide-eyed & borderline-delusional optimism.

Scape @ Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:32 pm

Everyone has an agenda, that includes training itself. You want all of our news sources to be machines? I despise yellow journalism and sensationalism for profit but how else do you suggest we fund it?

Do you trust the reporting of Terry Milewski about Sikhs? He seems to fit your bill. I would have my misgivings.

Thanos @ Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:25 pm

Media is effectively free courtesy of the internet. No one has to fund anything anymore. And given the nature of some of the creatures (Levant, Infowars, Young Turks, etc) who are always begging for funding it's far wiser to keep your money to yourself and out of the hands of those grifters as much as you can.

You made the same mistake that Fiddy did whenever he'd pull the "yeah, but you watch CNN!" card on me whenever I called him out on his bullshit when he'd post from Ben Shapiro or Stephen Molyneaux or Levant or any of those other right-wing creeps. I don't watch CNN. I don't watch FOX. I don't watch MSNBC. Therefore I don't know what a Cuomo, a Carlson, or a Maddow is saying simply because I don't view them. And I have no intention to. The most I'll ever do is post a text item from their websites. That's what more people, including yourself, really have to do. Shut the talking heads and their never-shut mouths off altogether. Read the text instead for yourself instead of just listening to only that some talker wants you to hear. Watching someone speak has far too much of an hypnosis effect for my liking, even from those I'd tend to agree with. Reading instead of listening/watching makes you much less likely to be bamboozled. Televised reporting has always been far too much like show biz, with the chatterers/actors doing far more to project an image of their seriousness than they do in reporting the details of the actual stories. That's why if I see something on a CCTV camera I pay far more attention to it than I ever would to some cellphone vid taken by someone doing a running commentary, and who undoubtedly does a massive selective editing of what they'd recorded in order to make themselves into a paragon of good and their opponents into a Mordor-grade of evil. That's exactly what the Antifa types do on Twitter. Yes, the Proud Boys are pure scum. But the reality of those street fights is that Antifa almost always starts the punching & throwing rocks first. Then they get their asses handed to them because, as shitty as they are as people themselves, the Proud Boys idiots are much better at fist fights and melees. The Antifa turds edit the video to where the Proud Boys start fighting back and delete altogether the footage of they themselves being the ones openly initiating the riots. American cities circa 2022? Give a big hello and round of applause to your predecessors from Germany circa 1930, where the Commies who started the street violence got their own shit served back to them in spades by the Nazis who turned out to be one hell of a lot better at the street-level head-cracking & life-taking.

Like I said before, read up on the French Revolution and the role the revolutionary press of "citizen journalists" played in setting off a perpetual-motion machine of a murderous bloodbath with their incessant slander and demonization of their social enemies, where justice & law had fled the scene altogether and baseless accusation ruled every moment. It's pretty much an exact cut-and-paste job to what's going on today in extremist circles. All it's missing is the blood clogging the gutters and the severed heads, but the way things are going (especially in the US) it's really only a matter of time until the real atrocities happen.

raydan @ Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:29 pm

Status quo and stability does not sell well in media. They need conflict, and the more the better. Pretty sure that at this point, if nothing's going on, they'll make it up.

Thanos @ Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:48 pm

That is true. But it's easier to do it via televised news and social media. It's no difficult trick at all to lie & inflame via those mediums. It's far more difficult for the salesmen to do when the effort to read for yourself is required. And if you have enough basic internet smarts to look up both confirmation or dissent yourself. It shouldn't take much more than five or ten minutes of time to completely blow apart whatever it is someone like Ezra Levant or Ibram Kendi is pushing down the throats of the gullibles.

You're not going to save anyone else by doing this. That's not the point of doing it though. All you can do is point out to others what you've found and let them make up their own minds, assuming they're still capable of doing that. This isn't a rescue mission of any sort, because the social & cultural catastrophe has already happened and the destruction was so complete it left very few surviving brain cells in it's wake. It's really just about taking a stand and not going along with mobs. There's a noble bravery in doing only that, even if you're one of the few doing it, because it takes a lot more guts to choose not to believe what's being sold & said that there ever is in buying it all wholesale & gulping it down as fast as you can. Saying "no" to the monsters is always about the most difficult thing a truly moral person can ever do.

Scape @ Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:17 pm

Thanos, you say you never listen to MSN and you malign citizen journalists. You also state you have no stake in nor interest in media. How is this not unsustainable nihilism? The boy the cried wolf at least had a point to cry out. You may not like or believe his reasons but the fact that his cries hit your ears is not reason to ignore it. Your judgement on the quality of that information is yours to discern but don't make that judgement blot out the sun on simple doubt.

Facts MEAN something. Bias facts are still facts with a filter. Yours is set to black.

Scape @ Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:20 pm

raydan raydan:
Status quo and stability does not sell well in media. They need conflict, and the more the better. Pretty sure that at this point, if nothing's going on, they'll make it up.

The advent of the 24 hour news cycle led to a lot of this. Filler is no substitute for quality but it pays the bills.

Thanos @ Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:28 pm

Cynicism and skepticism isn't nihilism. Cynicism and skepticism are both vital components of wisdom. All that's happened to me is that I learned the hard way not to take the character of the messenger for granted. Most of the time now the true nature of the messenger is far more important than the message they're carrying. Take three of the W's and the H from the journalistic method helps quite a bit. What are they trying to sell to me. Why are they trying to sell it to me. Who is trying to sell it to me. And how are they trying to sell it to me. Take it from there and it's usually fairly easy not to fall into one of their traps.

You're still innocent enough to believe there's some source of pure untainted truth out there. This is something I don't believe anymore. And don't want to ever believe it again either. The more one believes in a fantasy the more one closes their eyes to reality. And it just increases the pain of the disappointment when reality inevitably blows the illusions to pieces and Our Favourite Messenger gets revealed to be another self-serving punk. It takes pain and then strength afterwards to step outside of the cycle altogether. But it's well worth it in the end because when you escape from it once and for all it means you can never be fooled again.

CDN_PATRIOT @ Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:19 am

Scape Scape:
The advent of the 24 hour news cycle led to a lot of this. Filler is no substitute for quality but it pays the bills.

24-hour news is what ruined most of society.

-J.

1  2  Next