Canada Kicks Ass
Sergeant Tommy Prince Deserves To Be New Face of $5 Bill

bootlegga @ Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:29 am

Sergeant Tommy Prince, Indigenous War Hero, Deserves To Be New Face Of Canada’s $5 Bill

$1:
Canada’s most decorated Indigenous war veteran, Sgt. Tommy Prince, deserves to be the face of the new $5 bill, say Manitoba’s Conservative MPs.

Prince’s life exemplifies both incredible sacrifice and bravery and the persistent racism faced by Indigenous people in Canada, said Sen. Donald Plett and eight MPs, including Conservative House leader Candice Bergen and National Defence critic James Bezan, in a letter sent to the Minister of Finance last week.

Prince earned 11 medals in the Second World War and the Korean War, and was one of three Canadians to receive both the American Silver Star and the Military Medal, presented by King George VI at Buckingham Palace in 1945.

However, when Prince returned to his home province of Manitoba, he endured discrimination, poverty and illness and died while living in a Winnipeg shelter at the age of 62.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/tom ... ab2847629f

I don't often agree with Conservative MPs, but I think they got this one right. Unfortunately, the poll closed in March, so we can't go and vote from him.

DrCaleb @ Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:44 am

Yup! R=UP

We should definitely start putting relevant people on the currency. I never voted for Laurier or McDonald!

llama66 @ Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:05 am

I'd be cool with a War Hero being on the $5

BeaverFever @ Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:20 am

R=UP

rickc @ Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:46 am

The article that I read said that the petition was started in June 2020, so it should probably still be going.

Sounds like he was a real ass kicker. He was in the Devil's Brigade. Their exploits were legendary. I read that they were thinking about making a movie about his life. I think that they should. Hollywood loves making war movies where the ordinary man goes to war and does extraordinary things. He than goes home totally unscathed and proceeds to live a wonderful life complete with ticker tape parades on Memorial day and nice homes with picket fences. The reality can be very different. For many people the war is not over when they come home.

Sgt. Tommy Prince was as close to being the perfect soldier as one could get. He seemed to be perfectly at home on the battlefield. It was in the civilian world that his demons manifested themselves. It was in the civilian world where society dropped the ball when it came to dealing with veterans like Sgt. Tommy Prince. It wasn't until after Vietnam that we seriously started talking about PTSD. Before that veterans were supposed to just suck it up and deal. I think that Sgt. Tommy Prince's life tells an important story, and deserves to be told.

Scape @ Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:43 am

llama66 @ Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:33 am

Leo Major also deserves a movie

herbie @ Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:41 am

The bird series of banknotes was the best.
Reminded you of how fast your money just flew away.