Canada Kicks Ass
Sharia Law - coming to a province near you . . . .

Previous  1  2  3  Next

Donny_Brasco @ Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:32 am

EricVA EricVA:
I think that people coming to this country, a country with a charter of rights and freedoms and defined laws should respect the laws that are in place. I think if you don't agree then don't come here.

Well, I guess you should go back to wherever you came from then. Because FYI my rights are recognized under those same laws. Our rights as Aboriginal people to have our treaties honored, to have our customs and cultures respected are a part of the very argument you are making.

I tell you what, if you pull one of your teeth and clip your fingernails before you go you can say that you are 0% native because you left that back here in Canada. Bon Voyage!

FYI the Canadian government doesn’t settle land claims because they want to give to charity, they do it because its cheaper then getting their (your) asses sued off. Now that is the LAW!

Does it hurt to stick your foot that far into your mouth?

Donny_Brasco @ Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:50 am

Now who's whining again, was it you or me...I can't remember. If its not you then shut up and tell the government to make sure it lives up to its obligations. Once thats done, I'll shut up too.

Ralph @ Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:53 am

The English, French, and Spanish, Were the countries that came over here and defeated the aboriginal peoples. Was it fare? Is it what we are talking about?
You can squawk all you want about how the white man was so bad and how the native population was abused and done bad by.
And for the most part I would have to agree,

What we are talking about here is a second set of laws these based in religion.
That would, if implemented fully would not allow any freedom of choice.
Would take the female segment of the population and make it answerable to the male segment. That would surely finish the job the White man started and erase your culture, dances, foods, religion, paintings, carvings, from the history books.

EricVA @ Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:59 am

I beleive we had that once..it was called the 50's

Donny_Brasco @ Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:08 pm

Ralph Ralph:
The English, French, and Spanish, Were the countries that came over here and defeated the aboriginal peoples. Was it fare? Is it what we are talking about?

Your a moron. My people were never defeated. You might have mistaken me for someone in the USA of in the Maritimes who had their entire Nations wiped clear from existence.

But that wasn't me. Learn some history.

Everything but the yellow is land ceded to Canada under treaty. A treaty, by definition outlines the responsibilities and obligations of each party to each other based on the terms of the treaty.

Furthermore, Canada is obligated to make treaties with the original inhabitants of the yellow parcels of land, based on international law.

This is not my opinion. This is a fact, and the courts and laws of Canada have said so.

My band is in Treaty 4 territory. Not only did your government try to cheat us when they signed the treaty, they also stole land following the signing of the treaty.

Therefore, not only am I a treaty Indian, a right I inherited from my parents and their parents and their parents, but you are also a treaty person, if you live in this country. Because your government signed deals on your behalf so that they could build this country for you!

It takes two to tango right?

$1:
trea•ty
1) A formal agreement between two or more states, as in reference to terms of peace or trade.
2) The document in which such an agreement is set down.
A contract or agreement.

So once you take both of your feet out of your mouth, read some real history. And try not to confuse your opinions with reality.

Ralph @ Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:22 pm

What does your history have to do with the topic at hand YOU MORON YOU?
Ah… now you got me call you names. Is that any way to talk about a topic?
Stick to the topic we will save history for another time.

:wink:

Donny_Brasco @ Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:24 pm

Also. since I have now read the article....

I see your point.

Its going to be difficult to balance the wants of those people and the limits of Canada's laws.

We find that in our communities, cultural based justice can be more effective then a forgin system. Not always, but in general.

Ralph @ Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:33 pm

Now you’re getting it.
By the way I would love to from what I have read to live by the laws of your nation and from what I have read many of my people (Scottish)did . They were disposed of their land by the same people as you and came here and settled. And for the most part got along just find with the native people.
But I wonder if the Sharia laws had been applied to your people back then what would have happened to us all.

Donny_Brasco @ Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:40 pm

Ralph Ralph:
… now you got me call you names.

Yes Kimosabe, I got call you names.

Ralph @ Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:47 pm

Type-O I assure you no reference to Tonto just one sloppy white mans typing.
I have just been rereading some of your people’s history and beliefs on a Cree site
I am hoping soon to write to you in Cree. Maybe even better than I do in English :lol:

Ralph @ Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:08 pm

How!ka sakiha~ytan nitootm

Its a start and I hope there are no type-o's :wink:

Donny_Brasco @ Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:34 pm

LOL,

Tansi = hello

I love you too Ralph, my fellow human being. (Brother?)

Now if you can figure out my signature I'll bereally, really impressed.

WestieLee @ Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:57 pm

wow, kind of two or three different topics in one...how do i join in? LOL

Nice to know that there's another native american in here, thanks Donny_Brasco, now i don't feel alone and lost...LOL

I checked out the link. The definition was very loud and clear to me. I don't think religion should have any part of the justice system. I belive if you killed someone and you have been proved guilty, you did the crime, don't think that you're not going to pay the time.

I am First Nations but I feel that my culture and traditional beliefs shouldn't be involved with the law, due to the fact that not all people agree with how things can be done. There is a lot of issues that native people have to go through whether they are on the reserves or live in an urban setting, a lot of different factors that can cause problems when it comes to the law. I am not ashamed of my culture at all. But i wouldn't want to see disagreement between cultures.

Whether you're First Nations, White or Islamic...etc, there's too many cultural groups that would want their own laws. Canada has a large assortment of different cultures, of course not all of them are the same and not all of them are going to have their cultures respected by the government. If Canada had all these different kind of laws of how other cultures deal with particular situations Canada would be a messed up country. No equality at all in the laws, nobody will be happy with anything. There would be too many things out of control and things would just be a big mess.

I agree with these points...

$1:
if people want to settle their own affairs outside of the court system, as long as it doesn't break any of our own laws, good for them.

I agree because there are things that could be settled outside the courts but then....

$1:
You come here, then you abide by OUR rules and laws

I agree with this one because Canada's laws should be followed. But i would also like to have my culture respected. So i guess i'm kind of double-opinionated...what else is new? :P

Ralph @ Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:38 pm

WestieLee

I like your approch respect for eachother.
Everyone put something into the mix.
And yet keep what is dear to you.
But above all respect.

Ki'htwa'm ka-wp(a)mit(1)n
:lol:

thirdEye @ Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:26 am

See this thread for an interesting tie-in of the original topic of this thread to gay marriage and polygamy:

http://www.canadaka.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=37408#37408

Previous  1  2  3  Next