Canada Kicks Ass
Sovereign Alberta. . . .

1  2  Next

karra @ Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:17 pm

Read the following, consider the source and give it some thought.

$1:
Alberta wants out
R.B. Hutton in
National Post July 7, 2004

CALGARY - For a Canadian nationalist, last week's federal election results will prove to be devastating. For an Alberta separatist, the results were the best thing to happen in 40 years. The strong Liberal minority, if we can call it that, has fuelled Western alienation and will lead to the eventual break-up of Canada.

Westerners were hoping for a Conservative majority to end what they perceive as corruption in Ottawa. They would have been happy with a Conservative minority or a weak Liberal minority. The rationale was simple: A weak minority government can be held accountable for its actions and is therefore both responsible and responsive. Accountable government is, sadly, a concept that has been sorely lacking in this country since the mid-1960s.

Why would responsible, once-proud Canadians consider something as dramatic as separation? The reasons are numerous, and date back to Pierre Trudeau's blatant arrogance toward the West. -- who can forget his one-finger salute? -- and such policies such as the National Energy Program.

The media, the political pundits, and voters of central and eastern Canada will say the West -- what they mean to say is the Neanderthal rednecks from the West -- are like spoiled brats who don't like how the game is being played and are threatening to take their ball and go home. In one sense, I think they are finally getting it right. But we Alberta separatists are not just taking the ball -- we are taking the game and the revenue that goes with it. It will be interesting to see how the rest of Canada reacts without our golden goose.

The perception in Central Canada is that Ontario singlehandedly carries the rest of the country financially. Nothing could be further from the truth. Until 2001, Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia were net contributors to Ottawa, while the rest of the country's provinces were net recipients under the Federal Transfer Program. On a per-capita basis, Alberta pays the most. Unfortunately, a few years of New Democrat governance in British Columbia has destroyed that province's economy and they are now a have-not province and a net recipient from the Federal Transfer Program. Hopefully, their economy can recover in the future.

Even dim-witted, knuckle-dragging Westerners understand that without oil and gas revenue, Alberta would be a true have-not region. This non-renewable resource is the primary fuel and main reason for Alberta's vibrant economy. Unfortunately, the excess revenue that should be used to diversify that economy, develop end-use manufacturing and build for the future is being shipped to Ottawa to be squandered by the federal government and its out-of-control bureaucracy.

A "Triple-E" Senate will not stop the economic drain from Alberta. In 2002, Albertans sent $10-billion to Ottawa, followed by another $11-billion in 2003, for a total of $21-billion.

In layman's terms, that would put 1,258 loonies on every single foot of the centre line of the Trans Canada highway from Victoria to Halifax. The net cost to Alberta since 1961 to be Canadian has been in excess of $250-billion, with no return on investment. Alberta cannot afford to continue to subsidize Canada and many Albertans believe it is no longer acceptable for us to do so.

The newly registered Separation Party of Alberta will be running candidates in Alberta's upcoming provincial election. SPA is the only viable alternative for the people of Alberta. Separation from Canadian Confederation, forming our own country and using the excess wealth from oil and gas to diversify our economy is the only hope for Alberta's future. It must be done. And if that means changing the game, so be it.

Now ask yourself, can you blame them?

It's on the horizon I tells ya! It's on the horizon! The separation of Canada is en route buy gar and sakarafeece. Mark my words I say! As sure a Bush will win in November, the separation of Canada is afoot. I can see it now . . . . a country divided along physical and theoretical lines but united economically. . . .

At last, a

Canadian Union. . . . . .

QBC @ Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:34 pm

Inciting treason now Karra? Ya know if you were to talk like that in your favorite country, the US, you would be in jail for a very long time, and your favorite person, George Bush, would lock the cell himself.

Rev_Blair @ Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:48 pm

I'd say that Alberta has gotten a considerable return on its investment. They were a have-not province before the discovery of oil. The federal funding that has gone into the tar sands project is considerable. The federal government subsidises the oil companies that have made Alberta rich. The federal government negotiated the incredibly bad trade deal that makes it so profitable to sell Canadian oil and gas to the US.

Now they (at least a few loud and greedy white guys is suits) want to take their money and leave Canada? Let 'em have a vote. They'll never win, because most Albertans aren't vindictive, spoiled children.

karra @ Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:27 pm

Jeez, you still don't quite get it do you?

It may surprise you to know that most countries, states, provinces, whatever and wherever, were usually 'have not' prior to the discovery of oil upon their fare land(s). Quote the concept wot?

My suggestion to you is that you begin to seriously attempt and try really really hard to live in the present. It is well documented in your own words, your own willingness to accompany any group that would drag us all back to the Dark Ages - it would be muchly appreciated by myself and no doubt others including many of your komrades of the extreme left if you would speak for yourself (note the singular svp).

but I digress,

you didn't read the article did you?

Gonzo @ Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:43 pm

Quote (A "Triple-E" Senate will not stop the economic drain from Alberta. In 2002, Albertans sent $10-billion to Ottawa, followed by another $11-billion in 2003, for a total of $21-billion.)
It wasn't enough money sent for Alberta to have the privilege of being a part of Canada. Alberta is right up there with Quebec as the bitchiest provence in Canada. Actually, Alberta is more bitchy.
Quote (Separation from Canadian Confederation, forming our own country and using the excess wealth from oil and gas to diversify our economy is the only hope for Alberta's future.)
Oh, your poor starving Albertans. Do you think Newfoundland is sympathetic to you? Having the honour of living in Canada means you have to transfer money so other, poorer provinces will have some. The land that Alberta sits on belongs to Canada, and every Canadian. You can form a seperatist party if you want, but you cant legaly seperate from the country.
Oh by the way, while all you Albertans cry over your horrible plight, think about the first nations. They owned that land long before oil was discovered. I think Alberta should give a little to them too.
Poor Alberta! The crimes against you by this horrible regime! The shanty's you all live in while this greedy government takes all your money! There should be some benifit, some food aid sent to the poor people of Alberta, living under such cruel conditions.

Zenfisher @ Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:27 am

While oil helps. it has nothing to do with developing wealth in any particular province, state, or country. Sound economic policies that encourage growth are just as effective as having any particular resource. Having markets to sell wares to, is how you grow wealth.

Oil is a relatively new commodity. Egypt, Greece, Rome, Spain, England,etc. all bulit empires without revenues from one drop of petroleum. Granted times change and they will change again. Oil may not be the way of the future.

The thing is... if Alberta does opt out of Canada and a new resource does replace petroleum... Alberta may wish it had stayed within Canada's safety net.

Rev_Blair @ Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:34 am

$1:
you didn't read the article did you?

Actually I did read the article. It's still blaming Trudeau and the NEP for Alberta's perceived woes, yet you accuse me of living in the past. Were you even born then, Karra?

It also makes several references to "the west" and westerners. Here's a news flash for you, Karra: The west starts about a ten minute drive to the east of my house....there's a sign marking the longitudinal centre of the country. I was born and raised in Saskatchewan. That makes me a westerner and where I live part of the west.

There is even less support for separation in Saskatchewan than there is in Alberta, and less than that in Manitoba. That's because there is no advantage to us being ignored by Calgary over us being ignored by Ottawa.

othello @ Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:41 am

In the Federal Election, 40% of Albertans and 60% of Westerners voted AGAINST the conservatives.

Separation talk is largely driven by bitter individuals, predominantly in Alberta. They talk of Western Alienation and western separatism, but the reality is that it is largely an Alberta phenomenon, and is manifested among a vocal minority of the province.

The majority of Albertans may, at times, begrudge the federal government and the influence of Ontario and Quebec on federal politics, but these same individuals love Canada and love being Canadian.

The last thing the separatists want is an actual referendum (a la Quebec) on the issue, as it will shut them up for a long time. They (as with Quebec) wish to use it as a tactic to try to get more out of the country.

It's selfish and hurtful to the country, and takes away from those who are working in Alberta to improve the whole country in ways that would address their own concerns (e.g., the people pushing for proportional representation, for example).

Rosco @ Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:40 pm

I support the SPA, why should Albertans live for the benefit of people who dislike and marginalize them? You folks in the East have a country and culture that's built in your image and to your gain while the West loses out, so of course you're happy with the status quo. Simply put Confederation is a raw deal for those of us out here.

Rev_Blair @ Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:11 pm

If you support it then call it what it is, Rosco. The Alberta separtist movement. Don't try to hide behind blaming it on the east, and don't include the rest of the west...that would be like Quebec saying that the P.Q. has support from eastern Ontario to the Atlantic.

Better yet, call it what it really is...the Consortium of Rich and Spoiled Squawkers (CRASS).

Rosco @ Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:32 pm

Rev_Blair Rev_Blair:
If you support it then call it what it is, Rosco. The Alberta separtist movement. Don't try to hide behind blaming it on the east, and don't include the rest of the west...that would be like Quebec saying that the P.Q. has support from eastern Ontario to the Atlantic.

Better yet, call it what it really is...the Consortium of Rich and Spoiled Squawkers (CRASS).

Please, nations are formed out of common interests and because it confers some sort of advantage to it's members, in our case this isn't so much the case anymore. Again, why should we sacrifice for the sake of people who treat us as little more than their colonial cash cow?

Milton @ Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:14 pm

The conservatives only got 37% of the eligible vote in Alberta. Those spouting off about separation are out to feather their own nests while robbing everybody elses. This is why they voted for the Con.s!

-Mario- @ Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:39 pm

I apoligize if I am off topic. I didn't read the article, but, if Alberta is thinking of separating from Canada... To sum it up, Quebec as been at it for the past 40 years... And we all know were its at :roll:

-M-

Rev_Blair @ Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:04 am

$1:
Please, nations are formed out of common interests and because it confers some sort of advantage to it's members, in our case this isn't so much the case anymore. Again, why should we sacrifice for the sake of people who treat us as little more than their colonial cash cow?

So you believe that when the going gets a little tough the rich guys move away like ungrateful little sucks? You only cheer for sports teams that are doing well, right? Wife gets a little old and saggy you trade her in on a new model?

There are common interests that Alberta has with Canada outside of oil. The spearation noise and most of the other discord coming from Alberta comes from the oil patch. That doesn't earn a whole lot of sympathy outside of Calgary. The real complaint is a lack of political power that some feel should come with money. Sorry, Canada is a democracy, political power comes with population. Ontario and Quebec have more people than Alberta, so they have more political clout. That being said, the west, including Alberta has not done as badly over the years as they could have.

QBC @ Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:03 pm

Rosco Rosco:
I support the SPA, why should Albertans live for the benefit of people who dislike and marginalize them? You folks in the East have a country and culture that's built in your image and to your gain while the West loses out, so of course you're happy with the status quo. Simply put Confederation is a raw deal for those of us out here.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA............I was born a raised here in the west, Actually born in Edmonton and have lived in BC for a long time. Your just another Albertan with Eastern envy. To my fellow Canadians that live back east, we all don't have this form of penis envy in the west. Only a select few yankie wannabe's.

1  2  Next