Canada Kicks Ass
Tenants have no rights to Privacy nor Protection...

Previous  1  2  3  Next

herbie @ Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:47 am

Used to be a telco installer, there was a fleabag hotel here with a similar issue.
When they build a structure, the lines are in the walls. There's a demarc that's supposed to be locked that's the telco's NOT the landlord's.
The hotel owner chopped a wall and chopped the main cable for that floor. Couldn't run new wire through a 30 year old closed and insulated wall, so monthly tenants got their service restored by us running exposed lines down the main hallway, ugly as sin.
If the owner didn't approve, the tenants would fucking move and he's have no income. Same with the TV cable. New tenants would know well they had no access to landline phone or TV, so that's part of their rental agreement! They get to stick a satellite dish outside their window and use a cell phone now.
Same shit happened with another motel, their phone system was so old it ran on DOS. For years, the owner was too fucking cheap to pay the $2500 for modern software so I would build him DOS boxes from my junk bin and install/setup the old software over and over again. Eventually they cut a 232 cable and blew a card, there are no replacements. So there's a 24 unit motel all boarded up and empty for the last 10 years. It's right across from the curling rink, hockey arena, baseball diamond, community canter and a restaurant, you could buy it for unpaid taxes if you want.
So my suggestion to you is the same as to my nieghbour who gripes about how everyone else on the loop lets their cats, dogs and kids roam the streets. Stop whining how city hall or the legislature should change the rules to suit you and fucking move.

ScottMayers @ Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:17 am

llama66 llama66:
Two things,
1. You need to ramble less and learn to be more succinct. Your post is a text wall of madness.
2. Its called contract law, in order to use the service you agree to give up some rights. Renting is not temporarily owning, its renting. I own it, you're borrowing it. By using the service you agree to the terms whether you read and sign off on each clause. Kinda like going to a mall, you consent to being videotaped by virtue of entering onto the property.

WTF is transporting media? Supreme beings? Owner owning lines of communication?

Did the landlord cut your lines or did SaskTel? If it was SaskTel, see point 2. They own the line and the service, they have the right to modify or terminate your service for any of the reasons listed in your contract, including, but not limited to Failure to pay, or misuse of equipment.

You need to lay your argument out logically. This is too hard to follow.

Not trying to be mean but please shut up on the 'succinctness' crap. My background is intense in LOGIC. I've heard it all before and will always recommend Twitter for those who restrict themselves the cell phone screens you no doubt are using and selfishly assuming your own perspective is the world's. You are just pissed you have to scroll through so much to read. But some of us like the DEPTH and why we go to forums. I have normal screen to use and if I don't like to read for something being too long, I can easily move over them. [and why I know you are likely using a cell phone.]

Take your own first effort to look up the definition of "media". Compare how "transportation" and "communication" are just two forms of something BETWEEN two points in space, a 'medium'. If you had political science or philosophical background, you'd know that DEFINITIONS are significantly understood BUT require WAY MORE FORMALISM that I've even granted here. Yet you are asking for me to squeeze this into a 'tweet'. I'm forced to use rhetorical devices also to aid in trying to be more 'succinct' for readers with less attention of indepth material.

If you want definitions, I have to extend it longer than this. If you want simplicity in less words, you can only expect sound bites or those tweets with LESS clarity often resulting in mere soundboards for opinions without substance. You can't have both.

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:07 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Who has copper phone lines any more?? [huh]

Me. I refuse to get a cell phone. Don't need one, don't want one.

housewife @ Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:42 am

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

I still have a landline refused to give it up

Tricks @ Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:29 am

Know how I know you're old? XD

herbie @ Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:11 am

Cuz she doesn't want to shell out 3 times as much and be pestered endlessly?
My cellphone is predominantly for business use, but it follows the same old person rules as my landline. I don't answer it if I don't feel like it. If it's important you'll call later when I do feel like it. :D
And it doesn't have e-mail on it. I read the email a couple times a day on my laptop. If I'm not doing anything else, you'll get your text answered right then.
If I'm driving, you talk to the wife if she's riding. If she's not there you'll fucking wait until I get to my destination or stop for gas.
If I have to shell out $75-$100 a month for the convenience of a cell phone, it's gonna be for MY convenience, not other people's.

housewife @ Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:27 pm

It’s a VOIP line it’s cheap hubby set it up to not accept unknown name unknown number calls. Of course that means that the local cop shop and hospital can’t call me. A pain when you go to the hospital and find your test has been moved to next week. But when my nephew was born with medical complications I did all the updates for the family over 800 minutes in one month with no price change. That was US and Canada don’t want to know what the cost on a Cel would have been. I don’t always have my Cel with me at home the important people know that. Besides I’m old :lol:

PluggyRug @ Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:54 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Me too, I just change the string on my cocoa tins regularly.

raydan @ Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:11 pm

Incoming message for everybody...

Just go outside and read the smoke signal.

DrCaleb @ Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:47 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

I went the other direction. No one called my landline, and I have to all the way home to get messages. Cell phone is in my pocket, and nothing says I have to answer it when it rings.

Strutz @ Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:14 pm

housewife housewife:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

I still have a landline refused to give it up

Me too. I've had the same number for over 30 years and is still the way virtually everyone contacts me.

I have a cell phone as well on a minimal plan with more than enough calling minutes and enough data for me as when I'm at home I put it on my wifi to preserve my data usage. I very rarely use my cell for phone calls even when not at home. Primarily I use it for texting to keep in touch with friends (especially those who live out of town), for work purposes, for the camera once in awhile and, of course, for playing cards while I'm on my break at work. :wink:

herbie @ Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:33 pm

My cell is listed on my ads and business cards, a business expense. In the days long ago, I could even write off my huge satellite dish as an expense, as I wrote consumer & tech news for a local newspaper. No monthly costs, it was a hack but qualified for depreciation expense!

llama66 @ Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:54 am

ScottMayers ScottMayers:
llama66 llama66:
Two things,
1. You need to ramble less and learn to be more succinct. Your post is a text wall of madness.
2. Its called contract law, in order to use the service you agree to give up some rights. Renting is not temporarily owning, its renting. I own it, you're borrowing it. By using the service you agree to the terms whether you read and sign off on each clause. Kinda like going to a mall, you consent to being videotaped by virtue of entering onto the property.

WTF is transporting media? Supreme beings? Owner owning lines of communication?

Did the landlord cut your lines or did SaskTel? If it was SaskTel, see point 2. They own the line and the service, they have the right to modify or terminate your service for any of the reasons listed in your contract, including, but not limited to Failure to pay, or misuse of equipment.

You need to lay your argument out logically. This is too hard to follow.

Not trying to be mean but please shut up on the 'succinctness' crap. My background is intense in LOGIC. I've heard it all before and will always recommend Twitter for those who restrict themselves the cell phone screens you no doubt are using and selfishly assuming your own perspective is the world's. You are just pissed you have to scroll through so much to read. But some of us like the DEPTH and why we go to forums. I have normal screen to use and if I don't like to read for something being too long, I can easily move over them. [and why I know you are likely using a cell phone.]

Take your own first effort to look up the definition of "media". Compare how "transportation" and "communication" are just two forms of something BETWEEN two points in space, a 'medium'. If you had political science or philosophical background, you'd know that DEFINITIONS are significantly understood BUT require WAY MORE FORMALISM that I've even granted here. Yet you are asking for me to squeeze this into a 'tweet'. I'm forced to use rhetorical devices also to aid in trying to be more 'succinct' for readers with less attention of indepth material.

If you want definitions, I have to extend it longer than this. If you want simplicity in less words, you can only expect sound bites or those tweets with LESS clarity often resulting in mere soundboards for opinions without substance. You can't have both.

Sorry bro, wrong on the cell phone part. I didn't ask you to make it a tweet. I asked you to write your post in English, with out all the hyperbole. I'm not up for reading your dissertation on the Super String Theory and its effects on a Einstein-Rosen Bridge, just ratchet back the grandiose words and hyperbole. I get the fact you think you're super intelligent, hell, I'm sure you are, but for the rest of us mere mortals making your posts easier to read would be greatly appreciated.

As for your look up the definitions of these words,
Transportation is physically moving goods or people between points and Communication is the sharing of ideas between two points. Not sure what your point was there.

ScottMayers @ Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:58 am

llama66 llama66:
Sorry bro, wrong on the cell phone part. I didn't ask you to make it a tweet. I asked you to write your post in English, with out all the hyperbole. I'm not up for reading your dissertation on the Super String Theory and its effects on a Einstein-Rosen Bridge, just ratchet back the grandiose words and hyperbole. I get the fact you think you're super intelligent, hell, I'm sure you are, but for the rest of us mere mortals making your posts easier to read would be greatly appreciated.

As for your look up the definitions of these words,
Transportation is physically moving goods or people between points and Communication is the sharing of ideas between two points. Not sure what your point was there.

Sure, whatever. To me it's somewhat insulting when someone pokes at your style and begs you to conform to what you believe is everyone else's shared opinion. I don't attack my friends who have accents I don't understand. Do you?

Writing itself is as much an art. If you don't understand me, state it, but OWN it as your own misunderstanding and not my weakness to communicate.

Communication TRANSPORTS information. Transportation COMMUTES people. The route in between each is the "media". The same goes for describing the air we breathe. Imagine if some private individual had a right to own that medium between people. That was why I used this description for my concern. I prefer to assume others first understand me at the same level. Then if misunderstood, I'll try to relate it to the persons asking. Everyone's background is unique. Or, at least, some of us don't conform to the same social communication norms as the majority.

On those talking about the landline thing. Although I'm not a Luddite, I find the etiquette of those today absorbed with using cell phones problematic and have thus far refused the cell phone. I also believe it is one of the indirect reasons for the political problems associated with everyone presuming the world default's to their own thinking. It creates a 'faith' in a false assumption that one doesn't need to vote, for instance, because they think the vast majority are like themselves and would make them trivial to do so. Also, it is presumptuous of many to think it is the valid norm for others to keep these privacy invasive devices with them and on in any company.

I was thinking to make a point about this at a discussion group meeting, to bring a whole bag of older tech: I'd bring a small mount and camera, audio recorder, and an old telephone,... wire it all up and then sit down treating it as casually as possible and wait to see if anyone says anything. This is what the smart phones represent and just maybe others might get a clue to why their etiquette is imposing upon your own comforts.

llama66 @ Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:19 am

$1:
Writing itself is as much an art.

Unfortunately this means people will criticize your art. Many bestselling authors have shitty prose. It doesn't detract from them, but its art. Some prefer Dali over Van Gogh, it doesn't mean Van Gogh is crap.

No, I ask my friends to clarify. Which they do without getting butt hurt like you clearly are.

Good luck with everything Mr. Glendinning.

Previous  1  2  3  Next