Canada Kicks Ass
The Man Behind Stephen Harper.

Rev_Blair @ Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:35 am

For those of you who do not support the Canadian Magazine industry by subscribing to Walrus....The Man Behind Stephen Harper.

Donny_Brasco @ Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:33 am

Good article.

I'd just like to point out that there alot of people who think like this, that assimilation is an option as is denying Native people their treaty rights and historical rights as owners of this land. There are two reasons why this would never be a possibility:

1) Our Canadian courts and international law recognize the rights of Aboriginl people. Lawsuits would cost far more then continuing to honor the rights of First Nations. I can't speak for Metis folks, but I imagine the same is true there.

2) Imagine kicking a bee's nest. Now Imagine you have 630 some bee's nests in your yard and you kicked them all at once. What do you think would happen. Canada counts on their rails and highways and telecomminications to thrive...and in our view that is your treaty right as a Canadian. Imagine if we decided to take away your treaty rights. Not that that would ever happen.... :wink: