Canada Kicks Ass
The Popcorn Playhouse...The Super Thread of Nonsense

Previous  1 ... 3  4  5  6  7  8  9 ... 26  Next

Brenda @ Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:04 am

Gunnair Gunnair:
Akhenaten Akhenaten:
Dunno. Kind of a dumb move that makes you scratch your head wondering what he's on about. Parliament is due to shut down for the same amount of time starting at the end of next week anyways so it makes you wonder what the point here is. Seems to me it would be better just to wait it out then to give the opposition the bananas it needs to coax it's trained monkeys into screeching, "This is the END!!".

There has been a suggestion that this will shut down the bills that are being tinkered with in the senate, giving him the opportunity to appoint as few more Tory senators, and thereby making it easier to get through the bills unscathed. I s`pose if that were true, then there is some logic to the move. That being said, I think it`s a bonehead move because of the amount of negative attention it will bring. It will also shut down senate committees like the one investigating prisoner abuse in Afghanistan. The left may look at this is Harper having something to hide and make some political hay with it.

Everyone SHOULD look at it that way...

Akhenaten @ Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:05 am

Gunnair Gunnair:
That being said, I think it`s a bonehead move because of the amount of negative attention it will bring."

Agreed. Better to let --speaking purely on a political/tactical level-- better to let the bills get hamstrung by the opposition so you can dump the negativity on them. It's really not that hard, regardless of who the opposition is, to paint them as nay-saying nancys who do nothing but stamp their feet and cry at anything the ruling gov't wants to do/propose. It's easy to paint the opposition as negatively obstinate in the face of trying to 'get things done'. I think the opposition generally has that negative tag on it in the public's eye to begin with.

Gunnair Gunnair:
It will also shut down senate committees like the one investigating prisoner abuse in Afghanistan. The left may look at this is Harper having something to hide and make some political hay with it.

Yyyyeah well they haven't been handling that well have they? Right from the get go they've been acting way more guilty than they could actually even possibly be.

Gunnair @ Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:14 am

Brenda Brenda:
Gunnair Gunnair:
Akhenaten Akhenaten:
Dunno. Kind of a dumb move that makes you scratch your head wondering what he's on about. Parliament is due to shut down for the same amount of time starting at the end of next week anyways so it makes you wonder what the point here is. Seems to me it would be better just to wait it out then to give the opposition the bananas it needs to coax it's trained monkeys into screeching, "This is the END!!".

There has been a suggestion that this will shut down the bills that are being tinkered with in the senate, giving him the opportunity to appoint as few more Tory senators, and thereby making it easier to get through the bills unscathed. I s`pose if that were true, then there is some logic to the move. That being said, I think it`s a bonehead move because of the amount of negative attention it will bring. It will also shut down senate committees like the one investigating prisoner abuse in Afghanistan. The left may look at this is Harper having something to hide and make some political hay with it.

Everyone SHOULD look at it that way...

Yeah well, partisanship won't allow for honest dialogue.

Bodah @ Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:32 am

Big mistake if he does.

1Peg @ Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:36 am

Gunnair Gunnair:
Akhenaten Akhenaten:

There has been a suggestion that this will shut down the bills that are being tinkered with in the senate

I agree. We will have to see what the budget will bring when they resume parliament.
And..... see who "supports" this new budget.

Election time?

Majority????

Gunnair @ Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:44 am

Gunnair Gunnair:
Akhenaten Akhenaten:

There has been a suggestion that this will shut down the bills that are being tinkered with in the senate

1Peg wrote:

$1:
I agree. We will have to see what the budget will bring when they resume parliament.
And..... see who "supports" this new budget.

Possibly.

1Peg wrote:

$1:
Election time?

That would be a mistake. Iggy has found out the cost of that kind of sabre rattling.
$1:

1Peg wrote:
Majority????

Unlikely on this tack. He'll be lucky not to lose a seat or two.

ashley4mariah @ Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:33 am

Hi, I’m a grade 10 student just north of Toronto, Canada. I’m doing a research assignment on one of our former Prime Ministers names Jean Chrétien. I would like to know if anyone here has any insight on what type of leader he was and what he did for Canada. Would you say that he was a good leader or bad leader? Was he a peaceful and strong leader or quiet and weak leader? Any insight on the type of leader he was, the highlights of his leadership skills while he was in power and skills/personality traits that reflected in ability to lead Canada would be appreciated.

I’m not expecting anyone here to do this assignment for me but would rather take some of the good responses here and use them for my own ideas.

I’d be happy to post the final assignment when it’s complete here on the forum!

Thank you.

BTW - I tried posting in the Liberal section of this forum and wasn't able to post for some reason :(

ridenrain @ Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:35 am

Gunnair Gunnair:
http://www.canadaka.net/forums/current-events-f59/proroguing-parliament-not-ruled-out-harper-t86299.html

Ridenrain wrote:

$1:
This is such BS crap from the CBC again. Harper didn't rule out taking all the MPs to Disneyland for Christmas either.
There's no reason for the Conservatives to porogue again because the Liberals don't have the guts to take down the government. Their also not likely to want to kill their own bills again.

I eagerly await the backpeddling, mindless justification, and hopless partisanship from the CPC lead cheerleader.

Re-read the article I commented on and highlite what proof the author had.

The real reason why their doing this is because they now will have 51 senators instead of the 38 they had after the last prorogation. Prorogation lets them re-structure the senate comitties to reflect that new balance. Since the senate has become the major stumbling block for them, it makes sense they would work to remove it.

Public_Domain @ Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:36 am

So he's stalling everything? By the time Parliament comes back, It'll be a week before I turn 18. Cool.

Perhaps the move is to stall government criticism for the Olympics.

Gunnair @ Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:42 am

ashley4mariah ashley4mariah:
Hi, I’m a grade 10 student just north of Toronto, Canada. I’m doing a research assignment on one of our former Prime Ministers names Jean Chrétien. I would like to know if anyone here has any insight on what type of leader he was and what he did for Canada. Would you say that he was a good leader or bad leader? Was he a peaceful and strong leader or quiet and weak leader? Any insight on the type of leader he was, the highlights of his leadership skills while he was in power and skills/personality traits that reflected in ability to lead Canada would be appreciated.

I’m not expecting anyone here to do this assignment for me but would rather take some of the good responses here and use them for my own ideas.

I’d be happy to post the final assignment when it’s complete here on the forum!

Thank you.

BTW - I tried posting in the Liberal section of this forum and wasn't able to post for some reason :(

Be forewarned, you will mostly get partisan opinions worth about as much of the bandwidth they come across on. If you're content with that as part of research for your project, then standby for the more extreme Torys to pounce on this with all of their bile.

If you are gathering opinions, then mine is this. Chretian was a strong and decisive leader that took his dislike of George Bush and his government to a higher degree than he should have. He avoided Iraq, which I congratulate him on, but he did little to control the more unruly elements of his cabinet whose bashing of Bush evolved into bashing of the US, which was just plain wrong. Add to that, he alienated the west through his favouring Central Canada and of course, the later years of his government had no end of issues with respect to corruption.

Zipperfish @ Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:42 am

Jean Chretien was born Jean Poutine. As you know, in Quebec, the husband adopts the wife's name, so he became John Chretien when he married Aline Chretien in an arranged marriage at 13. Jean was a rambunctious boy who enjoyed throttling people--a pastime he enjoyed as Prime Minister as well. Aline liked to brain people with Inuit sculptures. It was a marriage made in heaven. Mr. Chretien's favourite food was steak with lots of pepper.

Jean Chretien is most famous for being the first Prime Minister unable to speak either official language. Together with Finance Minister Paul Martin, Chretien brought Canada out from the economic ruin of the Trudeau and Mulroney years. He angered Americans when he told George Bush--who was solciiting Canada's aid to go invade Iraq because they weren't involved in 9/11--to go screw himself. Foir those reasons Chretien is much loved today by Liberals and Conservatives alike.

Gunnair @ Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:44 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Jean Chretien was born Jean Poutine. As you know, in Quebec, the husband adopts the wife's name, so he became John Chretien when he married Aline Chretien in an arranged marriage at 13. Jean was a rambunctious boy who enjoyed throttling people--a pastime he enjoyed as Prime Minister as well. Aline liked to brain people with Inuit sculptures. It was a marriage made in heaven. Mr. Chretien's favourite food was steak with lots of pepper.

Jean Chretien is most famous for being the first Prime Minister unable to speak either official language. Together with Finance Minister Paul Martin, Chretien brought Canada out from the economic ruin of the Trudeau and Mulroney years. He angered Americans when he told George Bush--who was solciiting Canada's aid to go invade Iraq because they weren't involved in 9/11--to go screw himself. Foir those reasons Chretien is much loved today by Liberals and Conservatives alike.

XD

DrCaleb @ Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:44 am

He was strong, charismatic and an asshole.

But he didn't take shit from anybody.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawinigan_Handshake

QBC @ Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:49 am

Harper is scared of something if Parliament was scheduled to shut down in a week or so anyway. I don't think is has FA to do with the Senate, although that is a pretty good excuse.

Oh well, I'm sure we'll hear the party faithful from both sides turn this into yet another partisan diatribe of meaningless comment to make the parties that pay their salaries look the best they possibly can.

Akhenaten @ Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:51 am

QBC QBC:

Oh well, I'm sure we'll hear the party faithful from both sides turn this into yet another partisan diatribe of meaningless comment to make the parties that pay their salaries look the best they possibly can.

<shrugs> we've already had 2 CPC supporters come here to say it seems silly.

Previous  1 ... 3  4  5  6  7  8  9 ... 26  Next