Canada Kicks Ass
The Popcorn Playhouse...The Super Thread of Nonsense

Previous  1 ... 4  5  6  7  8  9  10 ... 26  Next

Public_Domain @ Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:52 am

My favourite story is the incident when there was an attempt on Chretien's life at 24 Sussex Drive, with the delusional drunk.

martin14 @ Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:53 am

Chretien was elected in 93 benefiting from everyone thoroughly hating Mulroney.

He was able to win re election also helped by the conservatives
being fractured

Looking back, good choices to support Afghanistan and not support Iraq.

And yes, he is exemplified with his 'handshake'
Kudos to him for that one, up there with PET and the finger. :)

Overall, not bad.

Gunnair @ Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:59 am

ridenrain ridenrain:
Gunnair Gunnair:
http://www.canadaka.net/forums/current-events-f59/proroguing-parliament-not-ruled-out-harper-t86299.html

Ridenrain wrote:

$1:
This is such BS crap from the CBC again. Harper didn't rule out taking all the MPs to Disneyland for Christmas either.
There's no reason for the Conservatives to porogue again because the Liberals don't have the guts to take down the government. Their also not likely to want to kill their own bills again.

I eagerly await the backpeddling, mindless justification, and hopless partisanship from the CPC lead cheerleader.

Re-read the article I commented on and highlite what proof the author had.

The real reason why their doing this is because they now will have 51 senators instead of the 38 they had after the last prorogation. Prorogation lets them re-structure the senate comitties to reflect that new balance. Since the senate has become the major stumbling block for them, it makes sense they would work to remove it.

:roll: Generally, one does not stab in the dark that a PM may porogue parliament.

Nice try though.

PostFactum @ Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:03 am

I know that a part of Canada is french speaking, I was studying , how in Canada government solve this difference. As you know in Ukraine are a lot of russian speaking and it is a very big problem( Are in Canada sociable problems with the language difference?

ridenrain @ Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:04 am

QBC QBC:
Harper is scared of something if Parliament was scheduled to shut down in a week or so anyway. I don't think is has FA to do with the Senate, although that is a pretty good excuse.

Oh well, I'm sure we'll hear the party faithful from both sides turn this into yet another partisan diatribe of meaningless comment to make the parties that pay their salaries look the best they possibly can.

Keep in mind that partisan hacks don't always fly their party flags.. :roll:

Scared of what.. the Afghanistan inquiry is the only thing I can see and all polls indicate that Canadians don't really care for that witch hunt anyways.
Restructuring the comitties that are blocking up the senate will result in real changes that will allow the work of the people to proceed.

kenmore @ Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:09 am

Guess he once again feels that the working of the country can be put on hold so he can hold on to his job a few more months. Such arrogance should be rewarded with a dumping by his party and being de-throned by Canadians.. apparently we are slowly recovering from one of the worst financial crises since the great depression.. and this idiot wants to shut down parliament.. really its time for this asshole to be turfed.

kenmore @ Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:15 am

Maybe at the Olympics he can find some old has been news reporters he can stuff the sentate with. I got an email from Mike Duffy with his video campaigning and spouting how wonderful a job the tories are doing. I emailed him back and asked how they were coming along with the elected senate and I told him I didn't know that he had been elected to parliament, so how come he was campaigning for them.. what a bunch of crooked slags.. I'm sure that if we got a chance to elect a senate, the likes of him and Pam wouldn't be sitting ( sorry never there from what they say) in the big chair ripping of Canadians.

martin14 @ Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:20 am

hmm,

do us a favor first, a little bit of the history on your side..

A description of the problem in Ukraine between Ukrainian and Russian speakers
as you see it,

why is it such a big problem in Ukraine,

how is the situation treated in Ukraine,

and does it work.

It will help us if we know your situation a little better.

kenmore @ Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:23 am

There are issues, but for the most part we manage to survive. Canada has two official languages that are enshrined in our constitution, those being English and French. We also have official bilingualism, but the province of Québec has Bill 101 which is a law that protects french language and culture in that province. The main issue is that we as Canadians are guaranteed services from the Federal Government in either official language. Bill 101 states that only french signs can be put up by businesses and street and highway signs are in french..
To sum it up, I guess we can say we hate, but love each other.. we are still together since 1867

QBC @ Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:59 am

OMG...next thing someone is going to say is that politicians actually do things for the benefit of those who elected them.... :lol: .... Make no mistake, if Harper (Who is indeed a politician) is shutting down Parliament only a week before it was set to anyway, he's doing it for himself and those who got him elected. (There is a huge difference between those who elected and got him elected) But no worries, the left will claim one thing and right another and we will be treated to more mud slinging silliness over this "issue" too.

God I love what Canadian politics has become, it's like taking the show "Survivor" and putting the worst cast imaginable on it, politicians. We all know that all of them have the lying and back stabbing down to a science.... :lol:

Bodah @ Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:00 pm

PostFactum PostFactum:
I know that a part of Canada is french speaking, I was studying , how in Canada government solve this difference. As you know in Ukraine are a lot of russian speaking and it is a very big problem( Are in Canada sociable problems with the language difference?

Yeah there are problems with it. Official Bilingualism original intent was to ensure that the public got served in the language of their choice were numbers warrant. Which I support.

But some how this has been molested in the federal government to having the right to able to work in the language of your choice. With this alot of the positions especially in Bilingual regions Ottawa have been classified as bilingual imperative. Meaning you have to be bilingual to get the job.

As you know, any language minority surrounded by a different language majority the minority will generally be the ones that are bilingual. In Canada 18% of the population are bilingual, overwhelming majority of these bilingual people are francophone so francophones are getting the jobs, while the rest of the country in the majority are getting screwed.

Now I'm sure your going to hear the arguement soon enough, english people are just lazy dumbass bigots who just refuse to learn french. Easy for bilingual people to say, but it takes a lot to learn another language. Learning it in school isn't enough. If you don't use it you lose it. The ideal way to learn French would be to pack up and moved to Saguaney for a couple of years you would eventually become fluently bilingual. You have to use it everyday, watch french tv everyday, read french everyday. Proponents of bilingualism think all families should make this sacrifice , essentially adding a burden to an already busy and hectic lives in order to be “Real Canadians”

They can keep on smoking da pipe, people can't do it.

I'm not an angry anglophone, since I grew up in Quebec and I am bilingual. I was one of the fortunate ones. But my unilingual brothers & sisters the majority are getting screwed.

Yeah so everything is just fine, :lol:

Strutz @ Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:09 pm

Wouldn't it be great if we could all have as much paid time off work as our government?

LightStarr @ Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:13 pm

Strutz Strutz:
Wouldn't it be great if we could all have as much paid time off work as our government?

No, I'd rather feel like I earned my keep.

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:33 pm

Brenda Brenda:
LightStarr LightStarr:
Why?

Thats easy...
So they don't have to work, but can go to the Olympics and prior to that to Hawaii to get a tan.

Ya know, in spite of the reasons I've seen given for this proroguing, I think Brenda is prolly the closest to the truth :lol: [B-o]

Mustang1 @ Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:39 pm

ashley4mariah ashley4mariah:
Hi, I’m a grade 10 student just north of Toronto, Canada. I’m doing a research assignment on one of our former Prime Ministers names Jean Chrétien. I would like to know if anyone here has any insight on what type of leader he was and what he did for Canada. Would you say that he was a good leader or bad leader? Was he a peaceful and strong leader or quiet and weak leader? Any insight on the type of leader he was, the highlights of his leadership skills while he was in power and skills/personality traits that reflected in ability to lead Canada would be appreciated.

I’m not expecting anyone here to do this assignment for me but would rather take some of the good responses here and use them for my own ideas.

I’d be happy to post the final assignment when it’s complete here on the forum!

Thank you.

BTW - I tried posting in the Liberal section of this forum and wasn't able to post for some reason :(

Here's some help - do your own work, research and analysis. Try a l-i-b-r-a-r-y.

Previous  1 ... 4  5  6  7  8  9  10 ... 26  Next