Canada Kicks Ass
Western Profs say scrap Catholic school system

Previous  1  2

BeaverFever @ Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:28 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:
My wife is a catholic school teacher and I maintain 100% support for public school system absorbing and assimilating the Catholic schools and purging all religious teaching from public education. It’s inevitable that it will happen eventually, probably in my lifetime if not the next couple of decades.

I do NOT support the government taking over the Catholic schools. Leave them alone.

But take the government money out of them and REALLY leave them alone.

I don’t know what you’re talking about. The “government” already runs Catholic schools. The people who work there work for the government. The entire system is funded by government. Catholic schools are already government in every sense

Zipperfish @ Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:29 pm

I didn't go to no Catholic school and I still got the beatings. Teachers hit you in class and then fight at lunch. Good old Northern England. Good times.

CharlesAnthony @ Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:11 am

Why does this have to be so complicated??

Defund ALL schools and let the public brainwashers try to get a job in the real world!!!

DrCaleb @ Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:52 am

Not only the Catholic system, but half of every Provincial Ministry of Education can be cut as they have nothing to do with educating students, and pretty much every Board of Education can be cut.

Such a hive of scum and villany.

bootlegga @ Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:48 am

Tricks Tricks:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/ontario-public-catholic-school-merger-essay-1.4759602

Why these Western University profs say it's time to merge the Catholic and public school systems

It will be interesting to see how many conservatives in ontario are willing to entertain this. What matters more, cutting the deficit by 10% or keeping publicly funded faith based schools?

I don't have a problem with faith based schools, but I don't see why society as a whole - especially one in which religious beliefs are declining - should pay for it. And if we have to pay for Catholic schools, shouldn't we also have to pay for schools for other religions (Islamic, Buddhist, Shinto, Sikh, etc.)?

I say let the Catholics go private like the Christians have and form their own charter schools - and if they want public funding, it should only be for transportation (busses). If they want anything else, let them fund raise like the kids in private schools do.

JaredMilne @ Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:29 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
raydan raydan:
I went to Catholic schools... hated every minute of it. :evil:

Well, then you got your money's worth! :lol:

I went to a Catholic school for one semester when I was eight.

The nun who was teaching cursive was angry at me for not doing exactly as she told me and she hit my finger with one of those wooden rulers with a metal edge on it.

It cut me so deep that I bled like fuck all over the place. They gave me a paper towel to wrap it and when my mother showed up and saw my finger the nun, Sister Philomena, said something to the effect that I deserved it.

Big mistake.

My mom kicked her ass. It was pretty epic. Then she took me to the hospital for stitches.

That was my last day at St. John Vianney.

Forty-six years later I still have the scar.

So your mother was a badass who didn't take shit from anyone?

So that's where you get it from. :wink:

Seriously though, we have a Catholic system here in St. Albert, but it's tied into the French immersion system for various historical reasons.

I went through St. Albert's Catholic system, but I and probably 99% of all the other students were there for the French, not the Catholicism. While we took religion classes, in practice those classes turned out to be more about general ethics and morals-we watched movies like My Left Foot and The Sandlot and then discussed them afterward, and we also studied things like cults and saw video interviews with crazies like Charles Manson.

The Catholic school system has served its purpose-keep the French immersion and Francophone schools, but the specifically Catholic bent isn't really necessary anymore.

CharlesAnthony CharlesAnthony:

Defund ALL schools and let the public brainwashers try to get a job in the real world!!!

...Dude, do yourself a favour and just tap out.

CharlesAnthony @ Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:54 am

JaredMilne JaredMilne:
The Catholic school system has served its purpose-keep the French immersion and Francophone schools, but the specifically Catholic bent isn't really necessary anymore.
CharlesAnthony CharlesAnthony:
...Dude, do yourself a favour and just tap out.
Really?
Go put 2 tin cans out for collection:
"Donate to the Catholic education fund."
"Save young Catholics from Catholic brainwashing."

The Question: Which can will collect more money?

Previous  1  2