Canada Kicks Ass
What's so great about diversity?

Previous  1 ... 8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next

ScottMayers @ Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:14 pm

N_Fiddledog, what were you interpreting about culture and politics? My distinction is about Politics being run by culture versus logic. Politics is NOT a 'culture' contrary to many. For instance, when the Europeans first came here, the difference of worlds and world-views were NOT about cultural differences unless you think there is something in specific people's genes that make North American Natives a different species to Europeans. They were about different stages of evolutionary periods or development like children to adults within the same species that defined our differences. Do you share this view?

BartSimpson @ Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:23 pm

ScottMayers ScottMayers:
N_Fiddledog, what were you interpreting about culture and politics? My distinction is about Politics being run by culture versus logic. Politics is NOT a 'culture' contrary to many. For instance, when the Europeans first came here, the difference of worlds and world-views were NOT about cultural differences unless you think there is something in specific people's genes that make North American Natives a different species to Europeans. They were about different stages of evolutionary periods or development like children to adults within the same species that defined our differences. Do you share this view?

I agree. Politics are indeed a facet of culture.

Thanos @ Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:36 pm

More like politics are a facet of tribalism. Tribes can work together to form a shared culture, as long as the elements coming together in some kind of peaceful arrangement aren't too dissimilar, but politics will always be tribal. Even moreso as time passes and the old tribal distinctions become less important than ideological ones.

ScottMayers @ Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:35 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
ScottMayers ScottMayers:

I agree. Politics are indeed a facet of culture.

I'm not saying it should. I'm absolutely against this tendency. When 'culture' is a function of government, it always biases some subset of people. The U.S. First Amendment was the first attempt in history to secularize the function of government because it was against the presumption of some King or royal class of people as God-granted superior beings. Our system is completely anti-thematic to this through Multiculturalism. We also don't have an actual right to expression without being granted privilege to by the cultures and ethnicity of the historically recognized Canadians of the establishment.

N_Fiddledog @ Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:42 pm

ScottMayers ScottMayers:

I think you and I agree there is an important interaction between Politics and culture. Where we seem to part company is where to put the stress. Does politics manage culture or should it? Can culture push politics and how important is that push? In fact which is the priority? Culture over politics or politics over culture?

You appear to want politics to take priority and manage culture to enable something you tell us is "progress."

I'm back at noticing the obvious. Culture can influence politics. The left was winning the culture war. I'm for winning it back and having traditional standards and conventions returned. Among those values would be the importance of the quest for the holy grail of personal freedom. I remember the day when you used to hear Canadians say to each other on the street, "It's a free country, isn't it?" That would sound strange to the modern, cultural Marxist, Canadian ear, I think.

Out of traditional cultural values, evolutionary progress would once more be possible. Just as the culture evolving out of the Magna Carter led us in the West to the cultural imperatives of the United states Constitution and that led us in the West to represent the apex of civilization. That evolution would continue. But first we have to win the west back culturally. We have to return the cultural imperatives back to where they were before the Cultural Marxists perverted them.

I'm for influencing culture to influence Politics. You appear to be for managing Politics to manage culture.

I submit my side is having some success. For example it's to our advantage that the left can't meme.

Here's where I am:

llama66 @ Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:48 pm

Without Diversity I wouldn't know how to tell someone off in 13 languages.

Zipperfish @ Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:47 pm

ScottMayers ScottMayers:

Not sure I do. Different evolutionary periods of development? I think at times over the centuries that some American cultures--particularly the Incas, but also others--were quite scientifically, architecturally, artistically and mathematically advanced. Also, native Americans are the same species as Eurropeans--Homo sapiens sapiens. I hope you aren't implying that white Europeans are more evolutionary "advanced" than other races?

herbie @ Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:22 pm

Just discovered the town I'm visiting has a "diversity center". Thinking of finding out how they get their operating budget and opening one in my town.

ScottMayers @ Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:19 am

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
ScottMayers ScottMayers:

I think you and I agree there is an important interaction between Politics and culture. Where we seem to part company is where to put the stress. Does politics manage culture or should it? Can culture push politics and how important is that push? In fact which is the priority? Culture over politics or politics over culture?

You appear to want politics to take priority and manage culture to enable something you tell us is "progress."

I'm back at noticing the obvious. Culture can influence politics. The left was winning the culture war. I'm for winning it back and having traditional standards and conventions returned. Among those values would be the importance of the quest for the holy grail of personal freedom. I remember the day when you used to hear Canadians say to each other on the street, "It's a free country, isn't it?" That would sound strange to the modern, cultural Marxist, Canadian ear, I think.

Out of traditional cultural values, evolutionary progress would once more be possible. Just as the culture evolving out of the Magna Carter led us in the West to the cultural imperatives of the United states Constitution and that led us in the West to represent the apex of civilization. That evolution would continue. But first we have to win the west back culturally. We have to return the cultural imperatives back to where they were before the Cultural Marxists perverted them.

I'm for influencing culture to influence Politics. You appear to be for managing Politics to manage culture.

I submit my side is having some success. For example it's to our advantage that the left can't meme.

Here's where I am:

No, I believe that government is a management system that has to ONLY deal in abstract interests that appeal both to the absolute individual's interest AND the whole collectively. Because each individual or subset of the whole, except the whole itself, have their own distinctive interests to what is or is not meaningful to themselves about life, the kinds of PARTICULAR activities associated with these distinct meanings should not be imposed upon the whole when it is not shared by the whole nor to EACH individual absolutely.

Culture, and religion as its core, is the cause of all problems when used in ANY way in government lawmaking. It is only used to deceive in some way or another because they intend to both be used to hide real problems and to control others by the use of them arbitrarily. They are only used as some means to empower or keep in power some subset of the population AT THE EXPENSE of others by distracting us to think of the real issues as due to differences of those arbitrary beliefs when they are not.

ScottMayers @ Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:27 am

llama66 llama66:
Without Diversity I wouldn't know how to tell someone off in 13 languages.

Excusez-moi?

Scusami?

Entschuldigung?

আমাকে ক্ষমা কর?

verskoon my?

對不起?

пардон?

padone m?

Извинете?

Perdona'm?

maaf?

məni bağışlayın?

Afedersiniz?

ScottMayers @ Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:49 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
ScottMayers ScottMayers:

Not sure I do. Different evolutionary periods of development? I think at times over the centuries that some American cultures--particularly the Incas, but also others--were quite scientifically, architecturally, artistically and mathematically advanced. Also, native Americans are the same species as Eurropeans--Homo sapiens sapiens. I hope you aren't implying that white Europeans are more evolutionary "advanced" than other races?

I was responding in defiance of this very kind of interpretation. This is similar to the confusion about "fit" in "survival to the fittest" that continues to trip people up on evolution via Natural Selection. What is 'fit' in regards to my interpretation of the North Americans were about time and space.

And to help clarify this to something you might not think about: if you permitted to go into a time machine to any time of the past knowing that you could not come back, would you? If you think this is merely an arbitrary distinction, I should be able to send you anywhere without your choice by randomly selecting when I send you.

Also, what would you think if say I somehow were able to force you to spend the rest of your days around children ONLY. When each child, say, reaches 10 years old, they must be removed so that you only have an environment of children from now on? Perhaps this appeals to you. So let me extend this imaginary experiment to all adults now? Would one be discriminatory for not liking that 'lifestyle' of children? Would it mean that you hate these children if you hated being around them?

I already know the North American Natives had advancements. This is irrelevant because it was NOT to the extent the Europeans had when they came over. NOTE that I may have had ancestors that came here from Europe but it doesn't imply that I came from Europe.

ScottMayers @ Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:52 am

herbie herbie:
Just discovered the town I'm visiting has a "diversity center". Thinking of finding out how they get their operating budget and opening one in my town.

You mean a museum? If not, then do you mean a church?

llama66 @ Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:55 am

Nice cut and paste skills. I mean unless you have Cyrillic, Chinese and Sanskrit on your computer.

ScottMayers @ Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:09 am

llama66 llama66:
Nice cut and paste skills. I mean unless you have Cyrillic, Chinese and Sanskrit on your computer.

I kept it to 13 for context but the Google Translate has a very long list. I kind of find it annoying to get what appears like a thick book on some manual for an international product that actually does try to exhaust all world languages. And its worse when it is alternated like per sentence or paragraph rather than have each language its own manual or section.

llama66 @ Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:13 am

I think google translate is a brilliant product. I end up using it at least once a day to communicate. Its not perfect, but its great for bridging the communication gulf that sometimes exists in a culture such as ours.

Previous  1 ... 8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next