Canada Kicks Ass
Why are so many BC'ers anti-Albertan?

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Mowich @ Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:47 pm

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
Thanos Thanos:
Why are so many Albertans anti-Canadian?

Why do so many other Canadians hate Alberta almost as much as they hated Nazi Germany? :|

"Let the Eastern Bastards Freeze in the dark."

Whoa......hold a grudge much?

herbie @ Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:34 pm

There is support in regions outside the Lower Mainland, but it comes from different reasons.
Logical: Something was gonna get approved and this is the least environmentally disruptive
Selfish: It is not happening here so I don't care. Different story completely when it came to the Enbridge pipeline.
The Usual: North/Central BCers are like pre-Notley Albertans. No matter wtf happens and how many times they get ripped off, ignored or outright screwed , they'll vote Tory/BC Liberal so nothing ever will change, and blame the NDP for making it so. In reality, when the wind of change hits BC every 20 years they miss the bus and have no MPs on the gov't side. The rest of the time they have invisible-useless-ignored MPs in the gov't caucus. On the odd occasion, the Socred/Liberal Victoria caucus will pay lip service to a toe-the-line MP like Shirley Bond because they're from Prince George.

Hate to have to point it out, but when you support parties no matter what, there is zero incentive for them to do diddly squat. That's why we're likely to get Star Trek teleporters before Hwy97 to Prince George or Hwy 16 to Rupert are properly 4 laned.

Mowich @ Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:06 pm

herbie herbie:
There is support in regions outside the Lower Mainland, but it comes from different reasons.
Logical: Something was gonna get approved and this is the least environmentally disruptive
Selfish: It is not happening here so I don't care. Different story completely when it came to the Enbridge pipeline.
The Usual: North/Central BCers are like pre-Notley Albertans. No matter wtf happens and how many times they get ripped off, ignored or outright screwed , they'll vote Tory/BC Liberal so nothing ever will change, and blame the NDP for making it so. In reality, when the wind of change hits BC every 20 years they miss the bus and have no MPs on the gov't side. The rest of the time they have invisible-useless-ignored MPs in the gov't caucus. On the odd occasion, the Socred/Liberal Victoria caucus will pay lip service to a toe-the-line MP like Shirley Bond because they're from Prince George.

Hate to have to point it out, but when you support parties no matter what, there is zero incentive for them to do diddly squat. That's why we're likely to get Star Trek teleporters before Hwy97 to Prince George or Hwy 16 to Rupert are properly 4 laned.

All too true, herbie. But what is a person to do? Really?

I have suffered through other NDP governments so pardon me for not having a whole lot of trust in that party. I would rather have seen the NDP with a clear majority then this ostensible coalition with the Greens. Had that been the case, I do believe that Horgan would have had a much more positive stance on the pipeline. As it is, the intransigence of the Greens on the pipeline has all but shut down government with all the attention being paid to the KM extension.

http://vancouversun.com/opinion/columni ... s-promised

If you knew our local Green party candidate, like I do, you wouldn't vote for him either.

That effectively covers all my choices save for one - the Liberal candidate, though yes, as you say, she is but a lowly back-bencher, never-the-less our constituency has done well thanks to her efforts as our MLA.

That is why I am not about to change horses.

herbie @ Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:46 pm

I know your tale, but I don't sympathize. It's the tale of 60% of people in my riding as well.
However I'm a believer that only the fear of change keeps politicians honest and relevant and I have worked for both sides. Two terms, then time is up unless I see significant progress.
Unlike you, I haven't suffered under the NDP. Dave Barrett's NDP let me drive a car, and the family get a cabin at Green Lake near 70 Mile. I opened a business under Harcourt and it boomed. There was construction everywhere in town, 4 mills running and an inventory of the forest. For me, it turned to shit the minute Campbell took office. 2 mills running 1/2 speed. Loads of logs leaving town. Forest Service gutted. Hospital so gutted they invented new words "on diversion" so as not to say the word CLOSED.

DrCaleb @ Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:42 am

BRAH BRAH:
You have Rebel Derangement Syndrome sorry there's no cure and of course you're making more you are on the Dipper payroll. You also need a dose of reality in how the average Albertan is struggling to survive.

My preference is to be based in the truth, and the Rebel is the exact opposite.

And I'm not on any 'dipper' payroll. Speaking of needing a reality check . . .

Individualist @ Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:01 am

Individualist Individualist:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:
The Alberta-Quebec dichotomy you mention is outdated by about 20 years.

I thought that was true for a while as well. I was mistaken, and so are you.

In fact, the dichotomy has never been clearer.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ ... -1.4620672

Jabberwalker @ Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:19 am

Mowich Mowich:
"Let the Eastern Bastards Freeze in the dark."

Whoa......hold a grudge much?

Je me souviens.

Individualist @ Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:12 am

Of course, if pipeline proponents in Alberta really want the Trudeau Liberals to force the pipeline issue with BC, they know what they have to do. Cut Bombardier in. That or accept state ownership. The two amount to essentially the same thing.

bootlegga @ Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:17 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
I'm not saying that bumper sticker was entirely justified, but I think Ontarians would have the same sentiment if the federal government stole $50-100 billion of their wealth and gave it to the West.

$1:
...the NEP was considered by Albertans to be among the most unfair federal policies ever implemented. Scholars calculated the program cost Alberta between $50- and $100-billion.

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/a-l ... ears-later

They did that for decades before the transfer money finally started flowing out of the West to the East in the 1980s.

Not really - you might have sent back some dribs and drabs now and then to keep us quiet, but since the National Policy (and other restrictive trade barriers), central Canada has done their level best since Confederation to treat the West like an economic colony to plunder and extract wealth from.

herbie @ Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:28 am

Oh jeez you're not an economic colony, you're a defacto colony of Canada. You're supposed to be ever so permanently grateful that Canada even "let you" exist. And the Tories would've just pissed away that 50-$100 billion like they did the rest.
You live in one of the best places on Earth with the best standard of living in the country, the "poor us" song and dance just doesn't play with the ROC.

Thanos @ Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:06 pm

That "best place on earth" schtick wears mighty thin when dipshit radicals want to shut off a major source of revenue that pays for all the damn goodies.

herbie @ Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:09 pm

Well call the 2,000,000 people who see they're taking 100% of the risk for .003% of the benefits dipshits if you wish, you sure can't call them the stupid ones....

Thanos @ Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:14 pm

A low-level risk at best with a system built to an incredibly tough construction code that will be under constant owner and government supervision and inspection, a risk that's been hyped into a retarded "disaster imminent!" hysteria by professional radical propagandists funded by foreign money.

Zipperfish @ Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:24 pm

Individualist Individualist:
Hmm, suddenly this thread seems a lot more relevant. ;)

Seriously though, you know it’s bad when a Trudeau has to come in and take Alberta’s side (or at least appear to). It’s a bit of a cynical move on his part. Be seen as supporting Notley and the oilsands in an attempt to keep big bad Jason Kenney out of the premier’s office. He risks losing a few votes in BC, but once he gets the nerve to force ranked ballot down our throats, he won’t need them anyway.

Justin’s overtures towards Alberta will fade away over time, because the exclusion of Western Canada (especially the prairie provinces) is fundamental to and indivisible from the Laurentian worldview. Justin will never be as blunt or as obvious in his disdain for Alberta and the prairies as his father was, but deep down, under the cowboy outfit he wears to Stampedes, he’s still that guy from the 2010 Les Francs-tireurs interview.

So here's Justin--who runs on climate change and the environment--completely backing the KM pipeline at the expense of his green reputation and yet nobody in Alberta can bring themselves to say one decent word about him. He should have screwed Alberta like his dad. He would have lost exactly zero votes in Alberta and gained some elsewhere.

Thanos @ Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:07 pm

I want BC to take the high road for all the other anti-oil provinces by refusing to accept any transfer money (because you'll be back to have-not status soon enough under the psychotic NDP/Greenie regime) from Ottawa that was generated by oil & gas in Alberta or Saskatchewan. C'mon, you can do it. Just tighten your belts some and tell the feds to keep that damn money because it's just too dirty for your puritanical li'l hands to ever touch. Any takers, ROC? Got that list made up of all them special touchy-feely programs you're more than willing to put on the chopping block to make your morals match up to your words? Get back to me on this please because the answers are very likely to be highly amusing. :lol:

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next