Canada Kicks Ass
Why do Liberals support FreeTrade?

1  2  Next

ac2000 @ Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:40 am

I am wondering why Liberals support Free Trade. Back in the late 1980's Liberals protested over free trade. Today they support it even more than the Conservatives. There are a couple problems.

Environment - Under the free trade deal, Canada cannot regulate, control or nationalize the tar sands. Under the deal Canada is forced to feed the oil addiction of USA. The tar sands are the number one source of pollution in Canada. Thanks to free trade the oil sands will continue to grow and we cannot stop it unless we get out of the deal. The deal was not about the elimination of tariffs. Tariffs between USA and Canada were already less than 1% by 1989. The deal was all about access to resources.

Demographics - Back in the 1970's and 1980's, the Windsor - Quebec City region was Canada's powerhouse. This is the most Liberal region of Canada. Thanks to free trade, Western Canada (Conservative region) is Canada's new powerhouse. This gives the Conservatives more power. By the 2010's and 2020's Conservatives will have more power than Liberals.

So tell me why the Liberals support free trade when it is hurting the Liberal agenda of this country. All Liberals out there should inform their Liberal MP's in their community about this.

Clogeroo @ Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:44 am

Liberals historically were in favour of free trade before and the Tories were against it. That is essentially what liberals were all about openness and reform.

ziggy @ Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:51 am

Clogeroo Clogeroo:
Liberals historically were in favour of free trade before and the Tories were against it. That is essentially what liberals were all about openness and reform.
Not in the Mulroney years.

Clogeroo @ Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:52 am

$1:

You are right but Mulroney would be considered a liberal. The political parties in Canada have done quite a bit of musical chairs in switching values.

ziggy @ Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:56 am

Clogeroo Clogeroo:
$1:

You are right but Mulroney would be considered a liberal. The political parties in Canada have done quite a bit of musical chairs in switching values.
Think thats when I voted for the lil scrapper from Shawinigan,I was against free trade at one time.You cant stop progress though.

Clogeroo @ Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:58 am

$1:
Think thats when I voted for the lil scrapper from Shawinigan,I was against free trade at one time.You cant stop progress though.

I think my family voted for the reform party. For shame ziggy you actually put a vote for Chrétien.

ziggy @ Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:00 am

Clogeroo Clogeroo:
$1:

I think my family voted for the reform party. For shame ziggy you actually put a vote for Chrétien.
:oops: :oops:

Clogeroo @ Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:04 am

I hated Chrétien actually I remember seeing his stupid face on television when I was younger. That and Iraqis being killed. Times seemed to have not changed at all. :P

ziggy @ Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:08 am

Think I was a knee dipper back when that took place,I was also union and they told us how and who to vote for.Took motions from me and a few others and many years before they finally stopped funding the NDP with our union dues.

bootlegga @ Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:12 am

ziggy ziggy:
Clogeroo Clogeroo:

Well, in fairness to Clog, for once his knowledge of history is accurate. Laurier's Liberals lost the 1911 election to Borden's Conservatives over free trade..."No truck or trade with the Yankees" was the slogan that won it for Borden.

Clogeroo @ Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:14 am

$1:

Think I was a knee dipper back when that took place,I was also union and they told us how and who to vote for.Took motions from me and a few others and many years before they finally stopped funding the NDP with our union dues.

Ew NDP don't get me started about them. :P

ziggy @ Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:17 am

Clogeroo Clogeroo:
$1:

Ew NDP don't get me started about them. :P
Or me,i may be an Albertan but spent 20 years working in BC and I know what the NDP did for BC. Think I still got some "BRIC" shares floating around. :roll:

Clogeroo @ Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:19 am

$1:
Or me,i may be an Albertan but spent 20 years working in BC and I know what the NDP did for BC. Think I still got some "BRIC" shares floating around.

:(

Rihx @ Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:44 am

support it or not, even the communist leader of the autoworkers union, buzz hargrove has admitted that Free Trade has been a good deal for this country. He was one of the biggest opponents of free trade.

Toro @ Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:10 am

Because free trade is the right policy for Canada.

1  2  Next