Canada Kicks Ass
Young offenders

1  2  3  4  Next

Scape @ Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:48 pm

They must be tried as adults

This is a petition. Court told of murder most foul

Deancoo @ Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:55 pm

That's a horrible story. But the question at hand is 'should minors be tried as adults?' As for me, that sounds like an American solution, and a solution to a symtom at that. The problem here is much deeper. Unfortunately, the articles make no attempt to uncover why it happened.

figfarmer @ Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:07 pm

I think that the gene pool is deep enough that we can toss the scum out. What do we save it for?

Twila @ Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:14 pm

$1:
What do we save it for?

animal testing. We could release the animals and use scum like this. Then it's a win win situation. Plus, humans are better test subjects, being that they are as close to human as you can get :wink:

Deancoo @ Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:54 pm

figfarmer figfarmer:
I think that the gene pool is deep enough that we can toss the scum out. What do we save it for?

I'm not saying we save 'it', but putting this kid in an adult court, in an adult prison, flirting with releasing him in 25 years is cruel and unusual punishment. And I think in the end society will have paid the greater price. I can see a case for telling him he's free to go, pointing him towards the door, then putting a bullet in the back of his head. It's a much more humane and cheap way of dealing with him. But how do you stop this sort of thing from happening again? Or is it even an issue? Statistically that is. The media does have a way of sensationalizing.

figfarmer @ Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:08 pm

if a kid rapes or murders? If a kid does an adult crime then he should be hung, just like adult rapists or murderers are. It cuts repeat offences to zero; a good idea.

Deancoo @ Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:18 pm

figfarmer figfarmer:
if a kid rapes or murders? If a kid does an adult crime then he should be hung, just like adult rapists or murderers are. It cuts repeat offences to zero; a good idea.

Well there you go, I agree with you. A public hanging would be a great deterrent, as well as having the desired Darwinian effect. However, long term incarceration under the guise of rehabilitation is simply not cost effective nor a deterrent, IMHO.

figfarmer @ Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:46 pm

I'm one of those Gilbert ans Sullivan 'let the punishment fit the crime' type guys. I think murderers should be disposed of in exactly the same manner in which they extinguished their victims. Rapists and paedophiles should be tied to trees and left for mothers to take care of.

Scape @ Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:45 am

$1:
He was raped, and then raped with a stick, forced to watch others have intercourse, burned at least five times with cigarettes, urinated on in his mouth, held down and kicked again and again, kicked so hard he had a boot imprint on his head, stoned with 10-kilo rocks, and then left for dead in a Caledon forest with more than 40 distinct injuries.

The lad is depraved and needs to be ejected from the gene pool. Sorry, I know what your saying about society paying the higher price but depravity on this scale is not juvenile and should not be dealt with as such.

Richard @ Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:20 am

The only people that seem to think the punishment shouldn't fit the crime are Polititions. A Canadian band "Out of Your Mouth" their song "Crime Pays" pretty much sums the way alot of younger people feel.
CRIME PAYS!
CRIME PAYS!

Waste of mother fuckin space
In prison eating steak
Anything and everything about it's just a migraine
Someone give me strength
To make these people change
Tell me what to do
If I could help it I would gladly pay my way!

My country's killers live in luxury
But I'll just wait until they come for me

CRIME PAYS!
CRIME PAYS

Change and rehabilitate
It makes me feel okay
Anything and everything about it's just a migraine
Killers in my space
It makes me feel unsafe
Tell me what to do
If I could help it
I would gladly pay my way!

My country's killers live in luxury
But I'll just wait until they come for me

Deancoo @ Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:16 am

Scape Scape:
$1:
He was raped, and then raped with a stick, forced to watch others have intercourse, burned at least five times with cigarettes, urinated on in his mouth, held down and kicked again and again, kicked so hard he had a boot imprint on his head, stoned with 10-kilo rocks, and then left for dead in a Caledon forest with more than 40 distinct injuries.

The lad is depraved and needs to be ejected from the gene pool. Sorry, I know what your saying about society paying the higher price but depravity on this scale is not juvenile and should not be dealt with as such.

Well, I hear you, but if you read the article carefully, most of the crazy shit that happened was instigated and carried out by the 20 year old. And as most mindless teens do, they follow. I believe the point of the post was the issue of juveniles being tried as adults. This may be an extreme case; this juvenile suffered from some very poor judgment, but could he not evolve beyond this poor judgment? I know that if it were not for sheer luck or the ‘grace of god’ as my mother would say, I would certainly be in a far different vocation. My point is kids make bad choices, that’s part of growing up. The whole point behind juvenile law vs adult law is to give them a chance to learn, grow and ultimately contribute to society. Wow did that sound cheesy. I think it was the ‘Different strokes’ rerun from last night.

Anyway, I’m for either really rehabilitate or euthanise. No in between. When I think about it, the parents should be made examples of. They’re the ones responsible for a 16 year old kid. For Christ’s sake, you need a license if you own a dog. Something’s not right here.

Richard @ Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:44 am

I don't know how old you are Dean but this is about accountability. If kids want all the social freedoms they have now then they should also stand up for some of their own stupidity. Some of us older guys in here can remember when you didn't get a slap on the hand for fucking up. Your local constable gave you a couple shots in the head and when you got home the old man didn't whine about police brutality and sue. No actually you usually got a couple more wacks... It didn't take to much of that to make you get your shit together and anyone that didn't usually ended up "kicking their soap into the corner and backing in to get it." Make the parents accountable Fuck Off!! I didn't play buy these rules of today raising my kids and I didn't have to beat them either but they know right from wrong and that for every action there is a reaction it was they way they were raised. If this punk was one of mine he would be paying the price for that action PERIOD!

Deancoo @ Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:16 am

I'll tell you what, I bet the muther fockers that raised that punk, especially the 20 year old weren't parents like mine or yours. My working class immigrant family was far from perfect. I got mine, and, quite frankly, when I do have kids, they're gonna get theirs. My point in making that statement was that the responsibility of teaching right from wrong lies with the parents, and if it's obvious to a court that the parents have failed miserably in that regard, should they not share in the blame.

On the other hand, if as they say 'shit happens' doesn't it make a little bit of sense to give a kid another chance? Can you honestly say your brain reasons the same now as it did when you were 16? I know mine doesn't. Isn't that the point of juvenile law?

Am I talking out of my ass? I honestly don't know. I don't have kids yet, and would I think differently if I did? Maybe. Richard, it sounds like you've seen the entire spectrum, can't you see any validity in what I'm trying to say?

Richard @ Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:19 pm

There are so many different issues here Dean and I don't profess to know the answers and I don't believe you think you do either so lets work on this a little.

1. The issue of young offenders

2. The accountablity of parents

If a crime is committed no matter the age there should be a punishment to change the behavioral pattern. Lets look at this case. Tried as a youth he goes into the system with other young adults that know the system well and he learns from them how to play it. If he was a good kid that made a bad call out of fear or peer pressure he will now be corrupted and his patterns become worse. If his behavior patterns were always like this then they are just reinforced with the knowledge that his whole record will be expunged. The system itself is like a drug once involved it is damn hard to get away from. I do not advocate tossing a 16 yr old into the federal system as being better. There has to be a system created that drops the young offender escape and makes them more accountable and at the same time show them a better path one that they could feel good about. Perhaps putting them in two different situations. One that shows them where they are headed federal system and one that shows them a better way. Take a group of prisoners that are hard core but want to help these kids. Let these people pay their debt by showing how they got there. Then you need to find people that changed their life pattern and have them work with these kids. If they can see two clear paths one would hope they would take the right one..
These are just a couple of thoughts so lets start there.

Scape @ Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:33 pm

No, all three deserve death. This is a capitol crime and age had nothing to do with the depravity. They do not deserve a 2nd chance and if they do get out they should be shot, even the girl. They are monsters who need to be put down.

1  2  3  4  Next