Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!
Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!
Tenei te tangata puhuru huru
Nana nei i tiki mai
Whakawhiti te ra
A upa ... ne! ka upa ... ne!
A upane kaupane whiti te ra!

Translation

It is death! It is death! It is life! It is life!
It is death! It is death! It is life! It is life!
This is the hairy man
Who fetched the sun
And caused it to shine again
One upward step! Another upward step!
An upward step, another.. the Sun shines!

Dunedin 2004

Paris 2004

Igloo @ Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:13 am

ive seen some blasphemy on you tube of american football teams doing it. (the horror)

i had the understanding only someone of maori descent can lead the haka as a matter of honour.
and the odds of those fools having a maori lead it are slim.

id post the you tube link but i cant find it and i got to go to work . peace!

FYi- the fiji ,samoa and tonga also do dances that are different check those out too

Scape @ Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:31 pm

$1:
Haka inspired Aussie Dave Brockhoff
24/10/2006
Sportal.co.nz
-
Dave Brockhoff, one of the great characters of Australian rugby, has recounted the effect of the haka on him when he first played Test rugby.

Brockhoff, who coached the Wallabies to Bledisloe Cup success in 1979 to help revive interest in the trophy which the All Blacks had held for so long, toured New Zealand with the Wallabies of 1949.

He only learned what the Bledisloe Cup was when told about it at a pre-Test reception in Wellington held by the Australian High Commissioner, Sir Roden Cutler VC.

Brockhoff related his story in the Sydney Morning Herald and said at the time no country had beaten the All Blacks at Athletic Park.

"There they were, putting on the damn theatrics of their war cry. I was so savage before the Test that I was frightened of them.

"I was so annoyed that I was ill-equipped against those bigger, better rugby players. I went mad in the first 10 minutes according to Arthur Buchan.

"I never called it the haka. I called it their national war cry.

"It made me want to get stuck into them. It's a contact sport. You should be given the fire to fight fire with.

"As a rugby player being confronted by the haka on the field, I was always passionately moved.

"I wondered: 'Why can't my Aboriginals give me a war dance?'"

The Wallabies, with a fine team, met a New Zealand team without 30 All Blacks who were touring South Africa at the time.

They became the first overseas team to win at Athletic Park with their 11-6 margin in a game which ended with Brockhoff playing in the backline when an injury made 'Tubby' Allan a passenger.

Brockhoff said facing the haka made him respect his Australian heritage even more.

"The haka does contribute to a physical, mental supremacy.

"So often have I cherished the All Black because he plays 10 feet taller in the black jumper. The haka is embedded in the cloth, but in the cloth of the mind."

Brockhoff's rugby passion was recognised by at least one All Black who lost the Bledisloe Cup in 1979.

Lock Andy Haden sought out Brockhoff and presented his All Black jersey to him, and Brockhoff has it among his souvenirs.

Video

The Haka in the current form has more to do with Dave Brockhoff reinventing the chant that anything else. When they did the chant before it was pretty pathetic now it has transformed in the intensity as it was intended.

patience17 @ Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:51 pm

It's great to see a tradition like this still exists in sports, which adds more to the sport of rugby. Just unfortunate to see them lose to France in RWC 07