I can't say, didn't watch. Hope the nazi stuff is kept to a minimum,

Yep, only riots in Buenos Aries.

Sorry for you. :lol:

bootlegga @ Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:38 am

raydan raydan:
Let's not talk about soccer for a while, OK? Let's say 4 years. :wink:

I'm all for that!

Batsy2 @ Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:56 am

The new football season kicked off at the weekend in England. The big boys of the Premier League kick off this weekend. I've been having withdrawal symptoms.

Zipperfish @ Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:44 am

Can't wait!

Batsy2 @ Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:28 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Can't wait!

And they're introducing vanishing spray, which also made its debut at the World Cup this year but which previously has just been used in South America and MLS.

It was first used in England on Sunday in the Community Shield match between Arsenal and Man City at Wembley. When the ref first whipped out the aerosol can and sprayed a line for the defensive wall the crowd let out a little light-hearted cheer.

Zipperfish @ Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:03 am

Batsy2 Batsy2:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Can't wait!

And they're introducing vanishing spray, which also made its debut at the World Cup this year but which previously has just been used in South America and MLS.

It was first used in England on Sunday in the Community Shield match between Arsenal and Man City at Wembley. When the ref first whipped out the aerosol can and sprayed a line for the defensive wall the crowd let out a little light-hearted cheer.

In MLS, the defensive players stomp on it to make it disappear faster.

bootlegga @ Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:26 am

Batsy2 Batsy2:
The new football season kicked off at the weekend in England. The big boys of the Premier League kick off this weekend. I've been having withdrawal symptoms.

How did England do in the World Cup again...

Zipperfish @ Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:24 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
Batsy2 Batsy2:

There's always next time!

The president of FIFA wants Canada to submit a world cup bid, which means Canada would get a team into teh tournamnet. Probably the only way that's going to happen.

Lots of big money in the World Cup, but the corruption is pretty hard to stomach.

bootlegga @ Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:54 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
bootlegga bootlegga:
Batsy2 Batsy2:

There's always next time!

The president of FIFA wants Canada to submit a world cup bid, which means Canada would get a team into teh tournamnet. Probably the only way that's going to happen.

Lots of big money in the World Cup, but the corruption is pretty hard to stomach.

That's probably the only way Canada will get into the World Cup in my lifetime.

I don't know how it would work as it would have to happen in the summer and I don't see the CFL closing up shop for a month - and without those big stadiums, I don't see how we could host it.

Even if that was figured out, I doubt there would be willingness to spend tens or even hundreds of millions on hosting it (like putting in real grass in all the stadiums and then removing it afterwards) - there simply isn't enough broad-based support for soccer in Canada.

If they could get it to happen I'd support the Canadian team. As I've always said, I don't care who plays (nevermind wins) if Canada isn't there.

The one positive would be that Canada might get some cool infrastructure spending (more LRTs, new stadiums, etc) if we did host it, as well as maybe the possibility that soccer might establish itself and help us qualify farther down the road.

Thanos @ Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:29 pm

English Premier League: we're unstoppable on this side of the Channel! :twisted:

peck420 @ Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:46 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
That's probably the only way Canada will get into the World Cup in my lifetime.

Ditch regional quotas and Canada would be in the next world cup.

People will roll there eyes at this, but it is no big secret that Canada and the US dominate the private youth league tourneys (vs SA and the remainder of NA).

The problem, is that in Canada that will never translate that into international success due to regional quotas imposed on the provincial and national under 18 (and lower) selections.

We have the talent. We are currently incapable of organizing and utilizing the talent, which is one of the major reasons we hemorrhage so many top quality players by the age of 16.

Don't even get me started on the BS they try to pass off as talent and scouting organization, in this country.

Previous  1 ... 9  10  11  12  13