Canada Kicks Ass
Who is the best soccer player in the world?

Previous  1  2  3  Next

Batsy @ Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:01 am

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
As for Beckham, he isn't even the greatest English Soccer Player of all time. That honour goes to George Best.

George Best wasn't English.

Batsy @ Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:19 am

xerxes xerxes:
raydan raydan:
Define "best".

Scores the most goals
Is a great team player
Has skill beyond compare

Still Messi by that criteria.

Barcelona's Lionel Messi is definitely the best player in the world (and I hate to admit that as he's Argentinean).

Messi celebrating yet another goal for Barcelona

On 9 December 2012, Messi scored twice against Real Betis, his 85th and 86th goals in 2012, surpassing Gerd Müller's world record of 85 goals scored in a calendar year in 1972 with Bayern Munich and the German national team, as well as surpassing Rodríguez's record for most league goals for Barcelona. On 12 December, Messi increased his record to 88, after scoring twice against Córdoba CF in the first leg of a Copa del Rey (King's Cup) game. Messi then sent an autographed Barcelona shirt to Müller in acknowledgement of beating his record. On 16 December, Messi scored twice in a 4–1 Barcelona victory against Atlético Madrid, increasing his record to 90 goals. The tally found its end at 91 goals in a year after Messi scored once against Real Valladolid.

"My record stood for 40 years – 85 goals in a year – and now the best player in the world has broken it, and I'm delighted for him. He is an incredible player, gigantic."

—Gerd Müller after Messi broke his record.

On 7 January 2013 odds-on favourite Messi won the 2012 FIFA Ballon d'Or (FIFA Golden Ball), again beating Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo - generally considered to be the only player in the world who can rival Messi - into second place with team-mate Andrés Iniesta third. In doing this, Messi became the only player in history to win the Ballon d'Or four times.

On 27 January 2013, Messi scored 4 goals in a 5–1 win against Osasuna, including his 200th goal in La Liga, becoming the 8th player and the youngest player to do so. This brought his La Liga tally for the season up to 33, and his goalscoring total to 44 goals in all competitions. On 16 February 2013, Messi scored his 300th Barcelona goal in the La Liga match against Granada CF, later scoring again in the match to bring his tally in all competitions to 301 goals in 365 official matches.

On 2 March 2013, Messi scored a goal against Real Madrid in a match that Barcelona lost 2–1. With that goal, Lionel Messi equalled Alfredo Di Stefano's El Clasico (Real Madrid vs Barcelona) goals record of 18.

On 9 March 2013, Messi scored after coming on as a substitute against Deportivo de La Coruña, scoring in his 17th consecutive league match and breaking the all-time world record.

On 12 March, Messi scored two goals to help Barcelona defeat A.C. Milan 4–0 in the Last 16, 2nd leg, of this season's Champions League (or the European Cup as older people still call it) and reach the quarter-finals. With these goals, he became the 2nd all-time top scorer in the UEFA Champions League, excluding qualifying rounds.

On 30 March, Messi scored in 19 consecutive La Liga games, netting Barcelona's second goal at Celta de Vigo, and became the first footballer in history, anywhere in the world, to score in consecutive matches against every other team in the league.

So far this season (season 2012-13), Messi has scored an incredible 57 goals.

With this incredible player, it's not hard to see why Barcelona are considered the best team not only in Europe but also in the world (many say they are the best footballing side in history) and are the favourites to win this season's Champions League for the third time in five years, in the Final at Wembley, despite the fact that they are currently 2-2 on aggregate against Paris Saint-Germain (who David Beckham now plays for) after the first leg of their Quarter Final.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lionel_Messi

QBall @ Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:13 am

As for Beckham, he isn't even the greatest English Soccer Player of all time. That honour goes to George Best.

Ouch, careful there. Once upon a time saying someone from Northern Ireland was English was liable to start a riot. Now go say five Hail Marys for penance.

Freakinoldguy @ Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:52 pm

Batsy Batsy:

George Best wasn't English.

My mistake. I guess his playing all those years for United was why I screwed up and forgot his actual nationality.

Freakinoldguy @ Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:54 pm

QBall QBall:

Ouch, careful there. Once upon a time saying someone from Northern Ireland was English was liable to start a riot. Now go say five Hail Marys for penance.

:oops:

raydan @ Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:44 am

I'm watching Aussie rules football... WAY better than soccer. [cheer]

xerxes @ Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:50 am

Isn't Aussie rules football a drunken bawl that was made into a sport?

raydan @ Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:02 am

Yes... what's your point? :wink:

AydenJason @ Wed May 01, 2013 3:26 am

According to me Lionel Messi is the best soccer player in the world..

michaeel @ Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:44 am

Hi,

how do you define the best soccer player in the world?

You will be surprised. But for me it is Frank Ribery from Bayern Munich.
And he is not even in the Top 10 list from "Freakinoldguy"
Bayern won evereything this year / The season league (Bundesliga) the german cup and the champions league - where he tooks the main part of winning the games/cup's.
Nothing against Messi, but Ribery showes the world in this year - how to play football. I hope he will be announced as best player 2013.

Regards,
Michael

Zipperfish @ Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:47 am

I don't watch much german League, but I do agree that Ribery was way better than I thought when I watched the UEFA Final

macphail @ Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:09 am

Real Madrid's Kaka / Ronaldo and Barcelona's Lionel Messi.

medina @ Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:40 pm

Fifa13 highest potential roster

Potential players ability
Massey 94 96
Ciro 92 94
Iniesta 90 93
Harvey 90 90
Franck Ribery 90 90
Casey 89 90
Rooney 89 92
Robben 88 90
Falcao 88 90
Bell 85 90
Neymar 85 91
Quite accepted

stoltzman @ Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:37 pm

medina medina:
Fifa13 highest potential roster

Potential players ability
Massey 94 96
Ciro 92 94
Iniesta 90 93
Harvey 90 90
Franck Ribery 90 90
Casey 89 90
Rooney 89 92
Robben 88 90
Falcao 88 90
Bell 85 90
Neymar 85 91
Quite accepted

This ranking is also good, but some commentators think Franck Ribery should the Golden Globes, how do you think about?

jimcanuck @ Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:15 pm

2016 List:

Messi
Ronaldo
Suarez
Neymar
Iniesta
Aguero
Bale
Pogba
Lewandovski
Aubameyang