Canada Kicks Ass
Who wants to officiate anymore?

ShepherdsDog @ Mon May 06, 2013 5:43 am

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013 ... feree-dead.

$1:
Ricardo Portillo's daughters had begged him to stop refereeing in a soccer league because of the growing risk of violence from angry players.

Now they're faced with planning his funeral after he succumbed to injuries late Saturday that had put him in a coma for a week since a 17-year-old goalie punched him in the head.

Authorities say the teen punched Portillo after the youth was called for a foul and issued a yellow card.

This little shit should be tried for second degree murder as an adult. A complete lack of respect for authority has pervaded all aspects of society.

Brenda @ Mon May 06, 2013 7:25 am

The same happened in The Netherlands not too long ago :(

Sad to see soccer's violence found it's way into North America :(

BartSimpson @ Mon May 06, 2013 7:52 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
This little shit should be tried for second degree murder as an adult. A complete lack of respect for authority has pervaded all aspects of society.

The DA was on KTLA last night saying they're looking into 1st degree murder charges due to that the same kid had had run-ins with the coach before.

ShepherdsDog @ Mon May 06, 2013 8:16 am

can't see them winning a first degree conviction....there was intent to injure which resulted in death. but I doubt there was a premeditated intent to kill Manslaughter is likely the best the courts can deliver

BartSimpson @ Mon May 06, 2013 8:55 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
can't see them winning a first degree conviction....there was intent to injure which resulted in death. but I doubt there was a premeditated intent to kill Manslaughter is likely the best the courts can deliver

We'll see. If the prosecutor can make the case that this was not an isolated incident but the result of a pre-existing animosity then s/he can make an argument for 1st degree. Of course, it's still up to a jury to find for a conviction.

andyt @ Mon May 06, 2013 8:59 am

Do you have the same system we do, where the jury can find guilt for the lesser included offense? So first degree might get found guilty of second or manslaughter.

BartSimpson @ Mon May 06, 2013 9:39 am

andyt andyt:
Do you have the same system we do, where the jury can find guilt for the lesser included offense? So first degree might get found guilty of second or manslaughter.

Yes, we do. Juries can do quite a bit down here although the courts prefer that people think they're supposed to follow the judge's jury instructions as if they're law.

I support the following organization that works to educate jury members about their actual authority:

http://fija.org/

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Thu May 09, 2013 10:55 am

The best thing I saw was in a Russian hockey league game. Some player was upset with one of the refs and cross-checked him to the ice from behind. The ref got right up, removed his whistle, went right at the player and started wailing on him.
It was kind'a funny actually.