Canada Kicks Ass
25 Most Collectible Cars Last 25 Yrs by Consumer Guide

Previous  1  2  3  Next

dino_bobba_renno @ Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:18 am

Funny, the Dodge Caravan didn't make the list Image

BartSimpson @ Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:13 am

That list sucked.

My Top 25 Collectible Cars of the Past 25 years would be:

1. The 1992 Dodge Viper - all of this model year car were hand made to amazing specifications and almost all of them are unique in some aspect.

2. The 1984 Corvette.

3. The De Lorean - I'm loathe to put a year on this car as they're still being assembled 'new' from leftover parts.

4. The 1994 Acura NSX - simply amazing to see what innovations can be had with off-the-shelf tech. The NSX has a cross-reference with about 60% of the parts of the Legend. Making it the most affordable exotic car ever built.

5. The Plymouth Prowler (any year it was made) - just because it's cool looking.

6. The 1982 Mustang. Under appreciated, but this model year marked the rebirth of the Mustang as a muscle car with the 5.0 liter V8.

7. The 2007 Mustang. Because Ford made the muscle car look cool again.

8. The Bugatti Veyron. No explanation needed.

9. The Nissan 300zx - just an amazing and accessible sports car.

10. The 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee. This was the SUV that revolutionized the SUV and it was essentially the first crossover between the old Chevy Suburban and the Land Rover. It combined comfort and capability in one outstanding package. The 'Laredo' version in the 318ci V-8 with the 4x4 and off-road pack was probably the single most unappreciated 4x4 of the 20th century.

11. Mitsubishi GTO (aka Dodge Stealth). This was the stylish competition for the then-fading lustre of the Mustang and it was also the less costly alternative to the Nissan 300zx. The vast majority of these cars came with one of three V-6 engines but about a half dozen were customized by Chrysler for their execs with the Viper V-10 and suspension tweaks. Technically, that V-10 version is a production/concept car and the last one I saw on Mecum went for seven figures.

12. The BMW 850. Not as reliable, not as powerful as some of the other cars on my list, but it handled well and you could drive the mountains in both comfort and style with exceptional handling.

13. The 1994 VW Beetle. Unique and novel, it helped get the retro movement started in auto styling.

14. The 1984 Yugo (yeah, it's a little more than 25 years back, but since the model never really changed in its production run deal with it.). The success of this car paved the way for the return of the micro-compact in Europe and the USA and cars like the Cooper and the Smart Car owe their success to this trail blazer. These cars now typicall sell used for far more than their $4,000 sales price.

15. The Hummer H-1. A monument to excess and hubris.

16. The Pontiac Aztek. The ugliest damn thing to come out of Detroit since the Edsel. For the same reason masochists collect the Edsel they will one day collect the Aztek.

17. The ubiquitous Toyota pickup truck with a mounted machine gun. If any one vehicle exemplifies the strife of the Middle East it is this vehicle configured with a haphazardly mounted machine gun operated by a guy seated in a lawn chair that is frequently not bolted to the truck bed.

18. The Cadillac Escalade. Just as the Hummer is a monument to a consumerist culture so is the Escalade a monument to urban gang culture. This overblown Chevy Suburban is a rapper's wet dream and more drive-by shootings have been successfully implemented from this platform than from the 1967 Chevy Impala - the previous choice of thugs and brigands.

19. The Mercedes CLS. A pioneer in styling, this car was nearly shocking when it first came on the scene. Sadly, it's been so copied that it is no longer the standout it once was, but it is bound to be a classic.

20. The Aston Martin Vanquish. Daniel Craig. Eva Green. 'Nuff said.

21. The BMW reimagined Cooper. Small, smart, powerful, and nimble. It may not be a headline classic in 25 years, but it will be loved by those who like them.

22. The General Motors EV-1. Only one of these remains in existence and it is already a collector car. The first decent electric car that was famously subverted by GM despite it's success as an unsubsidized electric car.

23. Pretty much any Buick or Pontiac as these 'fallen flags' will eventually obtain a nostalgia value for collectors.

24. I'm loathe to say, but the Toyota Prius *might* be a collector car someday if the parts (esp batteries) can be produced after-market.

25. The Bentley Continental GT. Luxury. Ridiculous amounts of power. Smart styling. And did I mention the 567 horsepower V-12 that can take the car up to almost 200mph with the A/C and the stereo on?

dino_bobba_renno @ Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:34 am

No Auston Martin's :cry:

*I realalize that there are no "supercars" in here so I'm assuming that's why dream car has been left off the list. But you have to admit, they are beautiful!

BartSimpson @ Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:49 am

dino_bobba_renno dino_bobba_renno:

#20 on my list. :wink:

dino_bobba_renno @ Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:53 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
dino_bobba_renno dino_bobba_renno:

#20 on my list. :wink:

You are a good man [B-o]

Tricks @ Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:48 pm

Mustang1 Mustang1:
Lemmy Lemmy:
As a Grand National driver, I'm not sure why they'd have the '86 over the '87. There were significant improvements with the '87 model. Sounds like someone made a list without learning much about the cars on it.

Not only that, but only domestics? Please. Limited list, limited choices...

This.

Tricks @ Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:50 pm

Also, R32-35 skyline should have been on there.

Terribad list.

Mustang1 @ Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:19 pm

Tricks Tricks:
Mustang1 Mustang1:
Lemmy Lemmy:
As a Grand National driver, I'm not sure why they'd have the '86 over the '87. There were significant improvements with the '87 model. Sounds like someone made a list without learning much about the cars on it.

This.

What? [huh]

SprCForr @ Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:24 pm

An '84 Vette? Not because of <shudder> Crossfire <uggghhh>?

EyeBrock @ Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:26 pm

Well, that list is like (mostly) a post mortem on the US car industry. And you guys were surprised the big three tanked? Really?

Not me, I drove a few of those and bought VW's and a Subaru after being in a good few of the 'most collectible'.

Tricks @ Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:59 pm

Mustang1 Mustang1:
Tricks Tricks:
Mustang1 Mustang1:

This.

What? [huh]

Ditto, or agreed, or took the words right out of my mouth would have applied as well.

;)

Mustang1 @ Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:08 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
Well, that list is like (mostly) a post mortem on the US car industry. And you guys were surprised the big three tanked? Really?

Not me, I drove a few of those and bought VW's and a Subaru after being in a good few of the 'most collectible'.

I hope it wasn't one of these VWs - http://finance.yahoo.com/news/VW-recall ... l?x=0&.v=2 XD

MITCH_ @ Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:46 am

http://www.solsticeforum.com/photopost/ ... photo=3657

Maybe My Solstice losing G.M $10,000 on each one built might make it infamous! LOL

MITCH_

EyeBrock @ Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:00 am

Mustang1 Mustang1:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:

I hope it wasn't one of these VWs - http://finance.yahoo.com/news/VW-recall ... l?x=0&.v=2 XD

I had two Jettas over an 8 year period and not a thing went wrong! If VW made a 4WD version I wouldn't have gone Subaru. But....the Subaru is AWESOME!!

dino_bobba_renno @ Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:28 am

MITCH_ MITCH_:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=3657

Maybe My Solstice losing G.M $10,000 on each one built might make it infamous! LOL

MITCH_

I didn't know Tim McGraw drove a Solstice 8O -J. By they way, welcome to the forum

Previous  1  2  3  Next