Canada Kicks Ass
3.6 litre V6 EcoBoost vs 5.0 litre V8

ShepherdsDog @ Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:41 pm

buying a new truck next week........(pour moi). The salesman is pushing me at the turbocharged V6 claiming I`ll save loads of gas. Everything I`ve read on line seems to question their mileage claims. Anyone buy the V6 and notice savings?

DanSC @ Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:45 pm

If you're towing a lot, buy the V8. The V6 will continuously be in the boost when you're towing, killing your fuel economy.

martin14 @ Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:16 pm

DanSC DanSC:
If you're towing a lot, buy the V8. The V6 will continuously be in the boost when you're towing, killing your fuel economy.

If he isn't, with the distances he has to drive to get out of the bush and back
to civilization, get the 6.

I don't think there are enough gas stations up north for an 8 anymore. :lol:

ShepherdsDog @ Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:40 pm

we have one here and then 70 km away, and another at 100 km then highway and 70 km to Flin Flon. Going to Pince Albert is different though only 1 gas station about 250 km from here.....one tank will easily get me all the way to Winnipeg and run errands before having to fill for a return trip

martin14 @ Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:49 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
Going to Pince Albert is different though only 1 gas station about 250 km from here....

Don't know if my Harley would make that. :lol:

PA, good lord I almost bought a quarter section northwest of PA, loooooong time ago.

But, the Gods rescued me from that girl. :P

Freakinoldguy @ Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:50 pm

Get a GMC with the 5.3 V8. It gets better overall gas mileage than the Ford V6 Eco Boost. :roll:

But, with that being said no pickup even the over hyped, underpowered V6 Eco Boost, gets good gas mileage in town which is probably why so many people who own one are screaming about the terrible gas mileage.

Gas mileage and pickup truck is pretty much an oxymoron besides, Consumers Reports has dropped the F150 with the 3.5Litre Eco Boost truck to a not recommended vehicle.

Consumer Reports December 2013 edition.

Thanos @ Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:47 pm

buying a new truck next week........(pour moi). The salesman is pushing me at the turbocharged V6 claiming I`ll save loads of gas. Everything I`ve read on line seems to question their mileage claims. Anyone buy the V6 and notice savings?

My 2011 V6 gives me about 11 to 13 litres-per-hundred KM on the highway, depending on the conditions and how fast I'm going (usually about 20 KM over the limit if no one else is around). Like the others have said, the V8 is overkill if you're not towing or carrying around something like a welding rig. They go like hell when you want them to; they leave me behind in the dust basically. If you don't care about fuel costs then get one but if you're more concerned with saving then get the V6.

Freakinoldguy @ Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:13 pm

Here's something for you to read Shep that may help you make an informed decision.

http://driving.ca/ford/f-150/reviews/ro ... -5-0-v8-2/

BTW I'd steer clear of any engine with twin turbo's because of the cost of maintenance if either of them ever go south but, that's just me.

BTW I've got the GMC 4.8 and went through the mountains to Banff in October and got 12.3 litres per 100 khm at an average speed of approximately 120kmph. But the one thing I did have that made a huge difference was the Extang hard Tonneau cover. It hurts my gas mileage in town but makes a hell of a difference to my highway gas mileage.

So my recommendation. Buy the V8 and get a tonneau cover with the money you save on the Twin Turbo V6. :wink:

Jabberwalker @ Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:15 pm

$1:
Everything I`ve read on line seems to question their mileage claims.

Go with the American EPA ratings. They are closer to reality.

2Cdo @ Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:22 pm

10L/100 km highway. Dodge 2500 diesel. Around town significantly less.

Gunnair @ Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:42 pm

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
Here's something for you to read Shep that may help you make an informed decision.

http://driving.ca/ford/f-150/reviews/ro ... -5-0-v8-2/

BTW I'd steer clear of any engine with twin turbo's because of the cost of maintenance if either of them ever go south but, that's just me.

BTW I've got the GMC 4.8 and went through the mountains to Banff in October and got 12.3 litres per 100 khm at an average speed of approximately 120kmph. But the one thing I did have that made a huge difference was the Extang hard Tonneau cover. It hurts my gas mileage in town but makes a hell of a difference to my highway gas mileage.

So my recommendation. Buy the V8 and get a tonneau cover with the money you save on the Twin Turbo V6. :wink:

Got a Tundra with the 4.6L V8 - good mileage and hauls a trailer like nothin'.

Or get a good canopy and trailer package.

DrCaleb @ Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:46 pm

Thanos Thanos:

My 2011 V6 gives me about 11 to 13 litres-per-hundred KM on the highway, depending on the conditions and how fast I'm going (usually about 20 KM over the limit if no one else is around). Like the others have said, the V8 is overkill if you're not towing or carrying around something like a welding rig. They go like hell when you want them to; they leave me behind in the dust basically. If you don't care about fuel costs then get one but if you're more concerned with saving then get the V6.

My 2009 5.4l V8 gives 13 - 14l/100km. I don't think it makes that big a difference.

Around $100 - $110 to fill up, lasts about 2 weeks.

Thanos @ Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:56 pm

I usually get about 3 weeks worth out of a full 110-litre fill-up in city driving, which overall makes the truck only slightly worse than my old car which got about 2 weeks worth on a 50-litre tank.

The performance of the truck leaves me with zero complaints aside from the usually cursing over the actual price of the fuel. No matter how good the vehicle performs we're still getting royally screwed on the price at the pump. Went up 8-cents per litre overnight here in Calgary. :x

Gunnair @ Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:28 pm

Thanos Thanos:
I usually get about 3 weeks worth out of a full 110-litre fill-up in city driving, which overall makes the truck only slightly worse than my old car which got about 2 weeks worth on a 50-litre tank.

The performance of the truck leaves me with zero complaints aside from the usually cursing over the actual price of the fuel. No matter how good the vehicle performs we're still getting royally screwed on the price at the pump. Went up 8-cents per litre overnight here in Calgary. :x

I don't drive my a Tundra much (bike to work)

Just cracked 16500 on a 2009. Might get it broke in this year.