Canada Kicks Ass
Aston Martin to team up with Germany's Mercedes

martin14 @ Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:03 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23451100

Just throwing it out there...

$1:
Aston Martin is to team up with the German carmaker Mercedes to develop a new generation of engines and components.

As part of the deal, Mercedes owner Daimler will take a stake of up to 5% in the UK luxury auto maker.

It is hoped the partnership will allow Aston Martin to compete more effectively with Volkswagen's Bentley and Tata Motors' Jaguar Land Rover.

100-year old Aston Martin makes the V8 Vantage, DB9 and Vanquish sports cars.

The companies did not release any financial details of the deal, which they aim to complete by the end of the year.

"The proposed deal will see Aston Martin access significant Mercedes-AMG and Mercedes-Benz Cars' resources, allowing the development of bespoke V8 powertrains and the use of certain components of electric and electronic architecture," Ian Minards, Aston Martin's product development director, said in a statement.

Aston Martin has been struggling of late. In the nine months to the end of September last year it sold 2,340 cars, a 19% drop on the same period in 2011.

DrCaleb @ Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:11 am

Sacrilige!

Actually, no. I really like some of the stuff Benz has been putting out (even if I can't afford it) like the AMG and Black series. And I've always loved Aston Martin. It would be cool if AMG engines ended up in Astons, like they do in other cars like Zonda.

rascal @ Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:01 am

This is great news for the people who could not, hitherto, afford either of these brands.

I am sure the co-operation of these two automotive giants happened with the benefit of that particular group of people in mind.

Hopefully, now we will see a Mercedes or an Aston Martin driven by someone who did not steal it.

raydan @ Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:25 pm

rascal rascal:
I am sure the co-operation of these two automotive giants happened with the benefit of that particular group of people in mind.

That makes me laugh, saying that big business is doing something to benefit a particular group of people.

What they really have in mind, is to screw over people they haven't screwed over yet.

Jabberwalker @ Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:32 pm

... as if the Germans and the English can agree on something. You'll probably need two sets of wrenches to work on it and the front part will be wired "positive earth" and the rear end "negative".

That coil of barbed wire running between the front and back seats ought to be irritating, as well.

Canadian_Mind @ Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:14 pm

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:

... as if the Germans and the English can agree on something. You'll probably need two sets of wrenches to work on it and the front part will be wired "positive earth" and the rear end "negative".

That coil of barbed wire running between the front and back seats ought to be irritating, as well.

I'd sooner see the UK and Germany in bed together than the UK and France. I would love to see an AMD engine in an Austin Martin.

PluggyRug @ Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:18 pm

...with Teutonic discus brakes and tea cosy style mufflers. The rear compartment will have pint pot holders and a tray for cucumber sandwiches.