Canada Kicks Ass
Autobahn speed limits: Germany's love of the fast lane

Previous  1  2  3  Next

martin14 @ Thu May 16, 2013 2:37 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
I'm thinking Canada could use one of these, too.

I've driven these speeds on a track, and there is no way with our driving ability and the toll our weather takes on the roads that this would ever be a good idea. One patch of rocks on the side of the road, one misplaced pothole or heaving from ground frost and you'd have a car full of organ donors.

We see the outrage when people are going slightly over the limit and not knowing how to control their vehicles and they cause horrific accidents. Having it happen regularly wouldn't last long.

umm, Germany gets winter too. :)

Best roads I've ever driven on were in new Hampshire, was like riding in your living room.

But you are right, Canadian drivers aren't very good.

martin14 @ Thu May 16, 2013 2:38 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

US 50 between Fallon, NV and Austin, NV is a rural and well maintained road and I've had the S80 out there a few times and been up to 130mph + and it's safe and smooth. And you folks pay a boatload more fuel taxes than we do.

Really have to do that road one day.....

martin14 @ Thu May 16, 2013 2:39 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
xerxes xerxes:
I'd still live there. If I could get a job that is.

You're from Germany? Where? My wife's family is from Heidleberg and she's got cousins who live there. We're looking at visiting next year.

I'm a big fan of the girls who sunbathe along the Neckar in the summertime. 8)

Let me know if that happens, I'll scoot over and buy you that beer,

at least it will be good one ! [B-o]

martin14 @ Thu May 16, 2013 2:43 pm

xerxes xerxes:

But I love it there. The scenery is gorgeous, I love the architecture, and like you alluded to, the girls are hot and not too many German guys are so it's more of a level playing field for me.

German girls ?

I can show better.. much better, you guys have no idea, and I'm trying to
keep it secret. :wink:

Oh and Germany is being invaded by people mostly from Greece, Italy, and Spain,
because it's about the only place in Europe where you can still get a job;

so your numbers might get out of whack soon, because it's usually the men who go first.

xerxes @ Thu May 16, 2013 2:49 pm

martin14 martin14:
xerxes xerxes:

But I love it there. The scenery is gorgeous, I love the architecture, and like you alluded to, the girls are hot and not too many German guys are so it's more of a level playing field for me.

German girls ?

I can show better.. much better, you guys have no idea, and I'm trying to
keep it secret. :wink:

Oh and Germany is being invaded by people mostly from Greece, Italy, and Spain,
because it's about the only place in Europe where you can still get a job;

so your numbers might get out of whack soon, because it's usually the men who go first.

Everything is relative of course. In my experience, the last time I was in Berlin, I damn near twisted my neck off because of all the hotties. The only other time I've nearly injured myself like that was in Ottawa.

DrCaleb @ Thu May 16, 2013 6:05 pm

I love being a track marshall, but this reminds me that it's not a safe and cozy sport. And it should remind everyone why you do not drive beyond your abilities, and unless you've taken advanced driving courses you have no idea what those abilities are.

Something similar happened to me last year on the Indy track. Still have 'skid marks' in my coveralls. Both the driver and the track marshall survived, but it took some healing first.

PluggyRug @ Thu May 16, 2013 6:35 pm

My first time on the Autobahn I was pulled over by the police and told to speed it up.

You're only doing 70mph, that car will do at least 150mph the cop said.
The car was a BMW M5. :mrgreen:

xerxes @ Thu May 16, 2013 7:02 pm

You were driving an m5 and only doing 70? How dare you!

Jonny_C @ Thu May 16, 2013 8:17 pm

Berlin to Munich = 300 miles or 500 km. That's a hop skip and a jump, even at 80 mph.

martin14 @ Thu May 16, 2013 10:38 pm

PluggyRug PluggyRug:
My first time on the Autobahn I was pulled over by the police and told to speed it up.

You're only doing 70mph, that car will do at least 150mph the cop said.
The car was a BMW M5. :mrgreen:

Driving in reverse or something ?

Cops did a good thing,, you should be ashamed of yourself. :mrgreen:

bootlegga @ Mon May 20, 2013 7:44 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
I'm thinking Canada could use one of these, too. In the US (for the time being) we can still take our AR-15s to the shooting range (or the elementary school :P ) to get our ya-yas out.

8O

Seriously Bart? Take your AR-15 to an elementary school?!? Talk about disgusting.

I doubt you'd have the same attitude if your child was gunned down my an AR-15 wielding maniac. Of course, you're a DINK (Double Income, No Kids), so what do you care, right?

I'd neg rep you, but oe of your cheerleaders here would just give it right back to you, soI'll just ignore your insanity from now on.

Unsound @ Mon May 20, 2013 8:07 am

bootlegga bootlegga:

Seriously Bart? Take your AR-15 to an elementary school?!? Talk about disgusting.

I doubt you'd have the same attitude if your child was gunned down my an AR-15 wielding maniac. Of course, you're a DINK (Double Income, No Kids), so what do you care, right?

I'd neg rep you, but oe of your cheerleaders here would just give it right back to you, soI'll just ignore your insanity from now on.

No coffee yet Boots?

It was obviously intended as a joke. A very dark joke yes, but still a joke.

BartSimpson @ Mon May 20, 2013 8:42 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
I'm thinking Canada could use one of these, too. In the US (for the time being) we can still take our AR-15s to the shooting range (or the elementary school :P ) to get our ya-yas out.

8O

Unsound got it. It was dark humor mostly aimed to deflate anyone who wanted to come along and make the quip themselves. I'm guessing you feel cheated, eh?

[B-o]

commanderkai @ Mon May 20, 2013 2:10 pm

Sadly when I was in Europe, my father, cousin, and I didn't have the luxury to enjoy the autobahn when we drove north from Milan to Brussels. Even if we did, we didn't exactly have the car for it. A little disappointing. Worst part is? Brussels was incredibly boring, but it did allow us to stop at Bastogne, which was pretty cool

bootlegga @ Tue May 21, 2013 8:39 am

Unsound Unsound:
bootlegga bootlegga:

No coffee yet Boots?

It was obviously intended as a joke. A very dark joke yes, but still a joke.

I saw his smiley and knew he intended it as a joke, but it's a rather tasteless one and is typical of Bart. I'm sure Bart wouldn't enjoy cancer jokes if his wife had died.

Google tasteless 911 jokes and you'll find tons of things that some asshat thought was funny, but in reality, it's not, especially for those who lost loved ones there. I bet Bart wouldn't find those funny either, especially not a couple months after it happened.

IMHO there are some things that are okay to joke about, and mass murder is NEVER one of them.

Previous  1  2  3  Next