Canada Kicks Ass
China teaming up to release electric cars in Canada

1  2  Next

Scape @ Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:13 am

Changan, Electrovaya teaming up to release electric cars onto Canadian streets?Image

travior @ Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:17 am

Requires 2 "AA" batteries, not included.

With the high quality of crap coming out of China, I think I will pass. They will probably reverse engineer it like they do everything else and start selling fakes.

sandorski @ Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:32 am

That's not a bad looking car, but ya I'd be worried about Quality. However, China could end up dominating these newer Technologies if we continue dragging our feet.

dino_bobba_renno @ Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:27 am

travior travior:
Requires 2 "AA" batteries, not included.

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

That was pretty funny but seriously, North American auto manufacturers need to start pulling their collective heads out of their asses. It's great to hit up government for all sorts of bail outs but really in the ened they are just reaping what they sowed.

Every other car manufacturer has been coming out with fuel efficient and hybrid cars for years now. What was the big threes answer to this, the Dodge Challenger, Chevy Camero, and the Ford edge. While the truck market may have been a hot item for years it was pretty short sighted to continue designing 3/4 and 1 ton trucks that burned ever increasing amounts of fuel. Had they used a little foresight and concentrated on making their trucks more fuel efficient it may have buffered that market against the down turn they are seeing now.

I think the quality of North American vehicles has played a large factor in their demise as well. Once again, rather than looking at what their competition was doing, building reliable cars that cost a bit more, they went their own route and continued building vehicles that fell apart after 60,000 kms.

It's pretty rich when these guys have no one to blame for their failing companies but themselves but yet they don't think twice about looking for bail outs while at the same time giving the heads of their corporations massive bonuses. And to top it off I have yet to hear of any of the big three really switching gears on their plans to continue to produce the very vehicles that got them into this mess in the first place.

ziggy @ Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:31 am

just wait for third quarter earnings to be released today,doesnt look good for the auto sector.

Scape @ Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:44 am

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/11/ ... ector.html

ugly...

ridenrain @ Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:51 am

For electric cars to be effective, they need to be light and that's not good for safety. Chinese cars, and almost all their other products, already do very poorly in meeting standards and I doubt these will be different.
I imagine they'll want special exemptions.

saturn_656 @ Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:20 am

ridenrain ridenrain:
For electric cars to be effective, they need to be light and that's not good for safety. Chinese cars, and almost all their other products, already do very poorly in meeting standards and I doubt these will be different.

Electric cars will be impractical as long as they are hampered by pathetic range and the inability to rapidly "fill up" at a service station for instance. I also understand the cold has a detrimental effect on the batteries.

They just are not built for Canadian life.

mixedfarmer @ Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:56 am

you can convert any truck or car to be electric

sandorski @ Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:58 am

saturn_656 saturn_656:
ridenrain ridenrain:

Electric cars will be impractical as long as they are hampered by pathetic range and the inability to rapidly "fill up" at a service station for instance. I also understand the cold has a detrimental effect on the batteries.

They are fine for most City Dwellers and that's a pretty big portion of the Market.

DrCaleb @ Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:28 am

mixedfarmer mixedfarmer:
you can convert any truck or car to be electric

Then try driving it a -20C. ;)

That's what's stopping me from getting a full electric as my next grocery getter.

saturn_656 @ Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:30 am

sandorski sandorski:
saturn_656 saturn_656:
ridenrain ridenrain:

They are fine for most City Dwellers and that's a pretty big portion of the Market.

No city dweller needs to drive more than 60 to 80 kilometers at a time without stopping for 8 to 12 hours to charge?

Most city dwellers I know (and I used to be one) liked to actually LEAVE the city once in a blue moon...

bootlegga @ Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:33 am

Given that Chery and several otehr Chinese car manufacturers have had to push back plans to export to North American and European markets (due to pollution and safety issues), it's likely that this car will be a while in coming to market too.

Electric cars are fine for people who travel around town, doing grocery shopping, taking the kids to school and so on. Anyone who does any sort of travel (sales reps or avid hikers/campers for example) will simply find they don't met their needs. Still, if a lot of families traded in one car (they could even keep the giant SUV for out of town trips if they want), a significant dent could be made on emissions, making our cities even more livable.

Personally, I find it ironic that we sold our only electric car company to someone in Pakistan and will now need to buy from China. Why can't the Big 3 get off their collective asses and build cars like this? I know that a large chunk of profits come from SUVs and pick-ups, but it's time to face facts, giant gas guzzlers are going the way of the dodo. If China can get these selling before Detriot, all three will go right down the drain...

ngignac @ Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:00 pm

Meh, I don't know if I would trust it. I'll wait for reviews.

But good job for a step in the right direction.

ShepherdsDog @ Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:52 pm

Maybe we should be assisting them in developing clean technologies in China. That way we stop them from choking the rest of the planet.

1  2  Next