Canada Kicks Ass
Endangered Features: Mourning the Loss of Car CD Players

1  2  Next

bootlegga @ Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:14 am

$1:
As car technology evolves, certain features aren’t going to make it in the survival of the fittest — namely, CD players. They used to be a standard element in vehicles, and if you were really fortunate, you had a multi-disk player. But as the iPod rose, the CD fell, and as someone who’s best road trip memories are always intertwined with a special mixed CD, I’m not ready to let go — though I realize I’m in the minority here.

Sure the audio quality might not be pristine, and, yes, compared to iPods and smartphones that can hold thousands of songs, being limited to just 80 minutes of music seems laughable. But that’s what made the mixes so special — careful selection. You could only squeeze somewhere between 15 and 20 songs on a CD, so each song was picked with the utmost care. It used to be cool to make different mixes for road trips, parties, or, if you really wanted to impress your crush, you slipped them a customized disc in-between hall periods.

Cassettes didn’t disappear from the dashboard until 2010, when the Lexus SC 430 became the last car to offer a factory-installed tape deck.

It's the CD player.With CD players slowly becoming obsolete, most cars over the past five years have started coming standard with ports for plugging-in or synching your music library with Bluetooth Audio streaming. Automakers have gladly embraced this shift, which allows them to shed some extra weight in their cars, although five pounds isn’t particularly remarkable. However, it does free up some prime real estate on the dash, as infotainment systems become more elaborately designed.

It’s no secret that the sales of CDs and DVDs have already topped out, and beyond that, the music industry has been hemorrhaging money with declining music sales since the early 2000s as free online file-sharing services like Napster took over the digital music business. Since younger demographics aren’t listening to music on CDs anymore automakers are trying to target them by having the latest infotainment system — sans CD drives.

It's been a slow phasing out process by automakers. Research firm Strategy Analytics reported that the number of vehicles manufactured without a CD player has risen to over 300,000 in recent years, and is expect to grow to 12.1 million by 2018. Some vehicles, like the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee and 2013 SRT Viper, can be ordered without a disc drive in them, while others, like the 2014 Kia Soul and 2013 Chevrolet Spark, don’t even have the option for a CD player in any trim.

The good news for fellow CD lovers is that while their demise is imminent, they won’t be completely extinct by the end of 2014. After all, cassettes didn’t disappear from the dashboard until 2010, when the Lexus SC 430 became the last car to offer a factory-installed tape deck. In an interview with Edmunds, senior analyst and manager of infotainment for HIS Global Mark Boyadjis forecasted that by 2019, 35-percent of vehicles will still have CD players. Well-established technology is always the hardest to get rid of. If you do find yourself among those ready to swear off CDs for life, before you decide to trash your entire collection, here are some ideas for ways you can upcycle, reuse, recycle, and repurpose those discs.

All great ideas ... if you can bear to destroy the music.Ideas:

•Punch holes in the CDs and use them as the rings attached to your shower curtain.

•Decorate them with paint, sharpies, felt, and whatever else you have lying around your house to use as coasters. I’ve even seen them hung as decorations on a Christmas tree.
•Frame your favorite albums and hang them as “vintage” artwork in your home, or string a bunch together to make a cheap mobile.

•Cut them up into a million tiny pieces and use them as shimmering mosaic tiles in your artwork.

•And, of course, if you won’t be listening to them anymore, just recycle them. Since they’re number seven plastic you can’t place them in your curbside recycling, you need to find an appropriate facility that recycles them.

http://www.web2carz.com/autos/everythin ... e59188a24c

BartSimpson @ Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:24 am

Sharpen the edges on your CD's and they make pretty effective shuriken. :wink:

DrCaleb @ Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:41 am

Order a vehicle with a base radio, and install your own. It's pretty rare I had any car, new or not, that had a decent sound system in it.

xerxes @ Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:48 am

Speaking as someone who went from an iPod equipped car to one with just a CD player i can say I won't miss discs.

DrCaleb @ Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:54 am

xerxes xerxes:
Speaking as someone who went from an iPod equipped car to one with just a CD player i can say I won't miss discs.

I would. The system in my truck allows me to put MP3s or FLACs on a Data CD, and play them from the 6 disk changer. It's like having the equivalent of 100 cds!

I can also put them on a USB stick and plug into a port, or I can stream from my phone to the deck through bluetooth. Although the USB holds more, the CDs don't get in the way of the gear shift or the cupholders. (first world problems)

I prefer CDs because I can burn my own and if someone breaks into my truck I really haven't lost anything. But if I lost my phone or i-Device, I'd be ticked. I also prefer the sound quality of the original CDs or FLAC files to an iPod or MP3s on my phone.

ShepherdsDog @ Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:24 pm

I have Sirius, a CD player, line in and a USB port so there's no shortage of audio choices. Long trips into Prince Albert and Saskatoon usually call for audio books. The back seats have DVD

Freakinoldguy @ Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:46 pm

FFS I just got rid of my 8 track and bought a CD player so now you guys tell me they're outdated. :twisted: Damn what am I gonna do with all those CD's people gave me all the while telling me that it was the next new thing?

Delwin @ Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:08 pm

Now you get to make things like this.

ccga3359 @ Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:31 pm

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
FFS I just got rid of my 8 track and bought a CD player so now you guys tell me they're outdated. :twisted: Damn what am I gonna do with all those CD's people gave me all the while telling me that it was the next new thing?

Crap! You skipped the cassette player and auto reverse cassette player and went straight to CDs? Whoar, brave man or technogeek?

sandorski @ Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:54 pm

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:

The near demise of the Big 3 began with the demise of 8 Tracks!

Jabberwalker @ Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:29 pm

My last Ford Sedan had one of these.

Freakinoldguy @ Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:40 pm

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
My last Ford Sedan had one of these.

In a way that's a disc player too. XD

Jabberwalker @ Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:53 am

How's that for distracted driving ... going off the road while looking for that little plastic insert that goes in the big hole.

saturn_656 @ Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:20 am

I have CD players in both my vehicles. One has never been used.

rascal @ Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:55 am

I purchased a 2013 Sienna last year, with Sirius XM optional, for $70 or so a year.

If you can't find your kind of music with all the different channels on Sirius XM and you bemoan the (potential but nowhere near real) loss of CD player in newer vehicles, you might as well bemoan the loss of record player in the 1970's.

1  2  Next