That had to be with the wind behind it!

Downhill... :roll:

And a team of horses in front.

off a cliff... :lol: :lol: :lol:

martin14 @ Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:05 am

gotta love the euro highways:

120, 130, austria talks about 160 in some places, and many people

drive faster than that.

My normal morning drive used to be 160 - 170; not now though, too many cars on the road.

Couldnt drive a car in Canada any more; at 100 I think I'm going backwards. ;)

no ticket, no points,

just throw my ass in the can. :)

However, it must be said crashes over here are more spectacular.

angler57 @ Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:23 am

Canada or USA
Put a restrictor on a vehicle?
A couple good ole boys will take it out in the backyard and in less time than it takes to say Tony Stewart they'll double the horse-power.

Build a better mousetrap and in a wink someone will build a better mouse.

Brenda @ Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:04 am

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
Hyack Hyack:
Regina Regina:
That had to be with the wind behind it!

Downhill... :roll:

And a team of horses in front.

All of the above! :lol:

Regina @ Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:02 am

Regina Regina:

But where in Canada is there basically an unlimited speed limit?

Quite right but Canada only buys 3% of the total vehicles produced in North America so special design consideration would be way down the list for such a small market which would only increase the price.

But there already are special design considerations that are specific to Canada.
DRL's for one, unless things have changed in the US over the last 5 years.
I know there have been a few others over the years as well, just can't think of any off the top of my head.

Electronics aside I would imagine that transmissions and gearing would have to be different which is quite a big deal. When the US went to a 55mph speed limit car manufactures had to change the drive train design to make them fuel efficient for those speeds which I would assume would have to be done in this case. Just adds to price which they seem to balk at.

Regina @ Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:13 am

martin14 martin14:
gotta love the euro highways:

120, 130, austria talks about 160 in some places, and many people

drive faster than that.

My normal morning drive used to be 160 - 170; not now though, too many cars on the road.

Couldnt drive a car in Canada any more; at 100 I think I'm going backwards. ;)

no ticket, no points,

just throw my ass in the can. :)

However, it must be said crashes over here are more spectacular.
Yeah I noticed they drive a little quicker over there. I was clipping along the A6 from Paris to Dijon at 200kph when I noticed a set of headlights gaining on me. In no time at all the car was cruising by me. It was a nice new Jaguar with two elderly people in it. Granny was knitting in the passenger seat while grandpa was chewing up the miles.

DrCaleb @ Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:17 am

But my issue isn't with the posted speed limits Dr. Caleb. I don't think they're too low, although a slight increase to 120kph on the 400 series wouldn't be a bad idea.
I just think it's dumb for the gov't to pretend they're worried about our safety by having posted speed limits on highways, then allowing cars to be built and sold in Canada that are quite capable of doing twice the limit or better.

What does one have to do with the other?

If you want good fuel economy, you need the engine to run low RPMs at highway speed. That means you have lots of spare RPMs. Those can be used to go faster than the limit.

How does the highway speed limit influence how the car is manufactured? And increasing the speed limit only increases the accident rate. Are people in that much of hurry, then they want to take that risk in order to arrive 2 minutes earlier on a 1 hour drive?

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:57 am

Well, at least I got some answers here, which is far more than I can say about the dead heads at Transport Canada. [B-o]

Regina @ Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:03 am

:lol:

Wullu @ Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:23 pm

It's like asking why your stereo can go to 10 when you can hear it fine at 3.

Tired of people wanting the government to be their nanny.

Saffron @ Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:25 am

I live in Quebec. I usually do about 140 on the highway on my way to the cottage, but other cars whipping by make me feel like I'm standing still. I've even had school buses honking at me to pick up the pace.

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:39 am

Saffron Saffron:
I live in Quebec. I usually do about 140 on the highway on my way to the cottage, but other cars whipping by make me feel like I'm standing still. I've even had school buses honking at me to pick up the pace.

Well, having driven in and outside of Montreal, I'm not really surprised. :lol:

Previous  1  2