Canada Kicks Ass
looking at getting my son an older 4runner.

ShepherdsDog @ Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:41 am

it's '98 4 runner in immaculate condition...according to a friend who looked at it. No rust, new rad and tires put on last year. Mind you it has 207 k on it. The guy wants $2300 for it. it's just for getting to school and work...hopefully it'll last him to university. Sound like a fair deal? Don't really give a rat's ass that it's a Toyota. he saw it in autotrader. Anyone own one or had any experiences with them?

QBC @ Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:22 am

Can't go wrong with the toyota trucks. The only flaw, but it does seem to be with even older Toyota trucks, is the frames rusting out. Really check the frame by the upper front shock mounts and just in front of and behind the bend in the frame that goes over the rear axle. Other than that they're a good reliable vehicle that can climb a tree if you want to really 4x4... :wink:

dino_bobba_renno @ Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:49 am

I’ve never owned one myself but my friend and brother in law have. Really, as far as 4 runners go the 98’s were a pretty good truck. Both my bro-inlaw and friend had to replace a air flow sensor in the engine which was a bit pricey but that was the only problem I heard about from either of them.

*I should mention that both of those were around that year, I don't know if either were exactly 98's or not.

Thanos @ Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:10 am

207K for something that's 15 years old seems damn good to me, especially for only $2300. As long as you can confirm there's none of that infamous Toyota death rust then I'd go for it. Might be kinda harsh on fuel for a student and/or his dad though.

BeaverFever @ Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:43 am

Friend owned one...no complaints except that it was gas-guzzler

Robair @ Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:29 am

MSN autos: http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Relia ... unner#Engi

is the best source I've found for researching older model vehicles. Check it out, it's awesome.

andyt @ Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:34 am

Buying a used car, it's more important what shape its in than what make. If it's in good shape, sounds like a good buy - but how's the engine compression? Clutch/auto trans? I've had a number of Toyotas, never had a problem, but then I traded them long before the age of this vehicle.

Does he need the 4WD capability that the 4 Runner has? I sure wouldn't take a vehicle this old offroading unless I had backup. And gas costs will be high. OTOH, it's a body on frame, solid rear axle design, so a sturdy build.