Canada Kicks Ass
Looking for winter tires, F-350

1  2  Next

Canadian_Mind @ Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:06 pm

Drive a 2005 F350, will be my first winter in it, as well as my first winter in any vehicle I had the chance to get my own tires and rims for on my own.

Finding tires for the thing is a bitch. Currently running 265/65 R17s, which is just a touch small for the truck. Being that though, I'm basically free to get any tire with 17, 18, or 20 inch rims, so long as I source appropriate rims for it. So my options are pretty wide open so far as tire selection though. However, being as I am in Wainwright though, as well as making frequent trips too and through the BC rockies, I want the best tire I can get. So far I've heard nothing but good thing about Studs out here. So unless Sapper or Yogi (or any other rural albertan) slap some sense into me otherwise, I'd like studdable tires that otherwise excel at handling snow. Both the dry crap out here and the wet shit in BC.

So far I don't really know much about the principle of snow tires. I've heard the taller and narrower the better, unless someone knows something different? :\

andyt @ Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:55 pm

For snow up to a certain depth, taller and skinnier is better because it allows the tire to dig thru to solid ground. But, on my 4x4's that had to handle deep snow and ice, I found the wider the better (well within reason) - gives better floatation over snow and seems to stick to ice better. For ice, studs are best, but I always just used all terrain tires with lots of siping. The Toyo Open Country +4 were the best I've ever had for snow and ice. Was able to drive thru powder so deep that I had to slow down because the snow flying up gave me 0 vis.

I would stay away from 20" wheels for snow tires - doesn't allow the sidewall to flex enough to have the tread wrap itself to the ground and snow tire availability may be limited. They sure put tiny tires on that thing for such a heavy vehicle.

For studded tires you don't want to go too wide, because you won't create enough pressure on the studs. Studs do well on ice, but I heard they are dangerous on sanded roads and don't stick that well to bare pavement either. I've only encountered solid ice on logging roads, and then I used chains with cleats on them - needed every bit of of it coming down a steep road that is solid ice. So if you expect to encounter lots of ice, I would go with studs.

Canadian_Mind @ Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Thanks Andy, that was rather informative. I don't get the 20 inch rims either, look tacky and lower the towing and load capacity of my truck.

I'm waiting for Sapper to comment as I know he's gone through a couple winters out here before. He'd be more knowledgeable of local conditions.

OnTheIce @ Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:21 pm

Stick with the size you have now and get snow tires in 17's. That size is quite common here. I just got the same size for the wife's van.

Yogi @ Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:28 pm

Why screw with success??? :lol: For all my work vans/trucks I have only used Goodyear M&S or Wrangler winter tires. Year round. I stick with the 235's. I find the tread to be agressive enough in both mud and deep snow & feel 100% confident in the handling on icy roads. The set I have on my van right now are going to do their 3rd winter this year. They still have about 1/2+ tread left. Last year I caught a nail in a sidewall, and the tire took a plug with no problem. These particular tires have made some pretty fast trips ( 95 k/ 45 min) :lol: between my place and Wainwright in the last couple of years. I'm also packing several hundred lb. of tools all the time, and oftimes adding serious materials weight.

3 years ago the local tire shop convinced me to try out a set Dunlop M&S on my Dakota. That was a serious mistake on my part! There was virtually no control on slippery roads. I got my money back for them and went back to Goodyears.

Jughead @ Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:01 pm

A Ford F-350 is a nice truck. I assume it's a diesel. How many tires are you looking to replace, 4 (or 6 if you own a big dually)?

I own a Dodge Ram pickup, and initially had all terrain tires on it (LT275/70R17C). I've since replaced them with SIGMA Arctic Claw winter tires. The Studded tires are good as you get extra traction, however for city driving, I still prefer the standard winter tires as 4 wheel drive pickups generally handle ok in the snow without the studded tires. Unless of course you're driving in rural areas with lots of hills and ice, then of course the studded tires are better, or you might even consider using chains.

Lemmy @ Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:04 pm

Chains and studs are for pussies. Drive on rubber like a real Canadian.

Unsound @ Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:54 pm

A real canadian with full shorts lol

Years ago I was in William's Lake BC visiting a friend around Halloween. The day we had to leave it started snowing sometime in the middle of the night. I ended up making the drive over the mountains from William's Lake to Little Fort in my little sunfire, before the plows got out. 4 hours in 2nd gear. Really was wishing for something a little better than my 15" all-seasons. lol

Lemmy @ Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:03 pm

In the words of Mr. Miyagi: "Best defense: not be there." If road conditions are bad enough to need chains, grab the whisky and wait 'er out.

Unsound @ Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:20 pm

Pssht! I was 23. No way weather or road conditions were gonna stop me!!!

SprCForr @ Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:55 pm

I currently have Goodyear Wrangler ProGrade on the truck and there is zero issues with those. Here or in BC. I had Michelin LTX M/S on the truck previously and those things were sweet. If you can score a set on sale, do it. If you can't settling for the Goodyears isn't that bad.

You want a pro opinion go talk to Jerry at Integra (1St behind Tri-Ag)and tell him what you want to do. He'll give you a banging good deal that Aime over a Fountain will have a tough time reaching.

Useless trivia time: Fountain Tire started here and that is Store #1.

Edit: Your tire size is fine for the truck. Build a little 2x4 bracket the width of the box on either side of the wheel well that will hold 5-6 sandbags over your rear axle and you'll be stylin'. Your truck will actually ride a little nicer too.

Canadian_Mind @ Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 am

It's 4 wheels, not 6. Not a fan of Duellies (though your rig is very nice Sapper. :P).

Thanks for the responses, I'll give Jerry a shout Sapp.

SprCForr @ Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:21 am

My rig is also 14 years old! :lol: Time to downsize. No use for it anymore.

Scoff the sandbags from Rge 8. They usually leave a pile of them there.

Gunnair @ Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:46 am

Canadian_Mind Canadian_Mind:
Drive a 2005 F350, will be my first winter in it, as well as my first winter in any vehicle I had the chance to get my own tires and rims for on my own.

Finding tires for the thing is a bitch. Currently running 265/65 R17s, which is just a touch small for the truck. Being that though, I'm basically free to get any tire with 17, 18, or 20 inch rims, so long as I source appropriate rims for it. So my options are pretty wide open so far as tire selection though. However, being as I am in Wainwright though, as well as making frequent trips too and through the BC rockies, I want the best tire I can get. So far I've heard nothing but good thing about Studs out here. So unless Sapper or Yogi (or any other rural albertan) slap some sense into me otherwise, I'd like studdable tires that otherwise excel at handling snow. Both the dry crap out here and the wet shit in BC.

So far I don't really know much about the principle of snow tires. I've heard the taller and narrower the better, unless someone knows something different? :\

May I offer you some fresh high end snow tires from the west coast?

Canadian_Mind @ Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:41 am

SprCForr SprCForr:
My rig is also 14 years old! :lol: Time to downsize. No use for it anymore.

Scoff the sandbags from Rge 8. They usually leave a pile of them there.

Thought we discussed this, always practical purpose for a truck. Or should I be expecting a phone call the next time you need to move shit (we'd be even then ;) )

Gunny, bit too small for me.

1  2  Next