Canada Kicks Ass
Top Gear . . . America?

1  2  Next

DrCaleb @ Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:02 am

Tanner Foust I like, and like his new show with Paul Tracy, but who are the other two?

Newfy @ Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:05 am

It'll never be as good as the UK's Top Gear! American cars aren't that good really!

martin14 @ Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:08 am

Newfy Newfy:
It'll never be as good as the UK's Top Gear! American cars aren't that good really!

R=UP

the Man speaketh the truth...

desertdude @ Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:03 am

Adam ferrara ! 8O I like his stand up but what the fuck is he doing on show like Top Gear ?

And leave it to the Yanks to put in Nascar dudes !!! I bet Larry the cable guy will start hosting soon aswell.

Does Canada also have a big following of watching cars go round in circles for hours ?

DrCaleb @ Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:09 am

Newfy Newfy:

As compared to say . . .British cars? ;)

It's won't be Clarkson and company, but Top Gear Australia is pretty good. It may be as good.

I love some of the stuff Aussies build. I'd love to find a loophole to import one. (other than the GTO and Pontiac G8 GXP).

eg: http://www.fpv.com.au/fpv-range/super-p ... rview.aspx
http://www.fpv.com.au/fpv-range/gt-p/overview.aspx

DrCaleb @ Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:11 am

desertdude desertdude:
And leave it to the Yanks to put in Nascar dudes !!!

Does Canada also have a big following of watching cars go round in circles for hours ?

(Tanner Foust is a road racer)

Yes, We have the Canadian Tire NASCAR series. But most Canadians have no idea it exists. And the longest races are about 90 minutes. But, it's good racing!

Newfy @ Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:22 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Newfy Newfy:

As compared to say . . .British cars? ;)

Well......yes, among other countries! The British may not directly manufacture British designed cars, but Britain did manufacture some very good cars in it's time! And they a hell of alot better than any American car!

These days it's the German's and Italian's which are making the best cars in the world. Just look at the new Bugatti that has broken the record for the fastest production car in the world.

Newfy @ Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:27 am

Bugatti Veyron Top Speed Test!!

DrCaleb @ Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:58 am

Newfy Newfy:
Well......yes, among other countries! The British may not directly manufacture British designed cars, but Britain did manufacture some very good cars in it's time! And they a hell of alot better than any American car!

So do Canadians. I'd put many Canadian built cars up against many cars built in Britain. No, the Brit cars are not a hell of a lot better.

Crown Victoria? Most ubiquitous car you've forgotten about.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/endangered- ... op-ed.html

What does Britain have to compare? Jaguar? At twice the price perhaps. (also owned by Ford). Rolls? Ha! Good winter beater there.

What about the Camaro? Dodge Challenger? Here's a long list:

http://www.canadianmade.com/automotive.shtml

Britain does have some very good cars, the Germans and Italians have some excellent cars, the French as well. But so do we. And they are not 'a hell of a lot worse' than anything they make. In many respects, they are a hell of a lot better.

Newfy @ Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:13 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Newfy Newfy:

So do Canadians. I'd put many Canadian built cars up against many cars built in Britain. No, the Brit cars are not a hell of a lot better.

What does Britain have to compare? Jaguar? At twice the price perhaps. (also owned by Ford). Rolls? Ha! Good winter beater there.

Britain does have some very good cars, the Germans and Italians have some excellent cars, the French as well. But so do we. And they are not 'a hell of a lot worse' than anything they make. In many respects, they are a hell of a lot better.

You're right..........as long as you don't have to go around corners! :lol:

DrCaleb @ Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:32 pm

Newfy Newfy:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

You're right..........as long as you don't have to go around corners! :lol:

Your perception doesn't accord with reality. Top Gearhead Clarkson loved the Corvette Z06 for it's cornering ability, and they all loved the Mustang and Camaro and Caddliac CTS they tested last series. Clarkson even owned a Ford GT, one of the first imported to Britain.

And, I'd put my Marauder against any Jag in any cornering contest you could come up with! (1.25G +/- on the skidpad according to the onboard accellerometer) And it seats 5. And I'd put my F-150 vs a Range Rover as well. (and I know the differences, as my friend has had nothing but trouble with his Discovery, where my F-150 has been flawless over the same period)

EyeBrock @ Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:43 pm

I rather like the Subaru WRX. The Japs make a few nice cars. The Nissan Z's have always been interesting, the Acura/Honda NSX was quite jolly too.

desertdude @ Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:20 pm

Oh please do not compare the Range Rover to a Found On Road Dead F-150. Its like comparing a Pack Mule to a thoroughbred Horse. I would know I had three Range Rovers at one time. And the discovery is a totally diffrent beast I would know :D I used to have two and still have one. Big Red just turned 300,000kms this week and with out a doubt been the most reliable car I've ever had, and I've had a few. Poor thing rolled of huge sand dune then dragged on it side down the slope. Drives 450 kms DAILY during the week plus gets bashed offroad in the desert on the weekends. And still purrs like the day it came of the showroom floor. The Allu Rover V8 ( which is actually a Buick block ) is one of if not THE most reliable motors out there.

Americans Cars...I love em ! But nothing really inspring has come out in this decade other than Lumina SS which is just a rebadged Holden Commodore but slowly they are going back to what they used to be. The Camaro is pure [drool] [drool] [drool] The Cadilcas 8) Corvettes [B-o] even regular cars like the Tahoe are awesome and cheap compared to the Jap crud.

The Japs have some good cars aswell. Skyline [drool] Z the pure performance ride on a budget. But here in the middle east its all about the 4x4's or as you call them SUV's :D The Nissan Patrol something North American does not know. The mighty Land Cruisers

Europeans cars I don't like, most of them over priced POS's VW are ok with the golf and Touareg.

But comparing over the top the super cars like the veyron doesn't even count.

BTW if your a big petrol head then Dubai is the place to be. Ferraris, lambos, G55's, Maserati's, Astons, Phantoms, Bentley etc etc are really common and I mean really really common.

martin14 @ Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:50 pm

desertdude desertdude:

BTW if your a big petrol head then Dubai is the place to be. Ferraris, lambos, G55's, Maserati's, Astons, Phantoms, Bentley etc etc are really common and I mean really really common.

all over priced euro POS :lol: :lol: :lol:

DrCaleb @ Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:52 pm

desertdude desertdude:
Oh please do not compare the Range Rover to a Found On Road Dead F-150. Its like comparing a Pack Mule to a thoroughbred Horse.

Easily compared, what do you have that I don't - for half the price? And a RR is far from a thoroughbred horse, unless it's one that you had to shoot because it broke a leg. Lamborghini LM002, that might be a thoroughbred, but not a Range Rover.

desertdude desertdude:
I would know I had three Range Rovers at one time. And the discovery is a totally diffrent beast I would know :D I used to have two and still have one. Big Red just turned 300,000kms this week and with out a doubt been the most reliable car I've ever had, and I've had a few. Poor thing rolled of huge sand dune then dragged on it side down the slope. Drives 450 kms DAILY during the week plus gets bashed offroad in the desert on the weekends. And still purrs like the day it came of the showroom floor. The Allu Rover V8 ( which is actually a Buick block ) is one of if not THE most reliable motors out there.

What sort of RR? HSE? And I've had several F series pickups, my last topped out at 500,000km when I sold it, and was still running strong. Ever try to put a welding rig in the back of a Range Rover? You're comparing apples to salamanders.

I took my F-150 into the Sifleur wilderness this past May, to a place called Ruby Falls. It's 30km of dry mountain riverbeds and deep fast moving water that a RR would die from. If you can find one that started.

1  2  Next