Canada Kicks Ass
Volkswagen's small car a radical idea in fuel savings

Previous  1  2  3  4

EyeBrock @ Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:26 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:
Battery power and hybrids just aren't there yet. Endex.

Sure they are. Are they evolving? Sure...and they'll only get better.

I drive a Chevy Volt for a week or so every month and this car is incredible!

I drive to and from work, 60km on a single charge and if I need to go further that day, the generator kicks in and uses very little gas to charge the batteries as you drive. All this in a car that's "normal" and doesn't look like a red headed step-child of a car. Holds 4 people and crap in the back all with AC, Navigation and all the toys. Even heated seats!

Last time I ran out of juice and the generator kicked on it was 1.1L/100km.

I guess I'm just too cryptic for you eh OTI?

When hybrid tech is the same or similar price point to mainsteam vehicles, I'll give them a look. Until then all they are is a niche product, small and expensive.

I can't see me packing up the family to go to Florida in a Chevy Volt.

BartSimpson @ Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:45 pm

andyt andyt:
So only gas hogs get a voice in this discussion? How convenient. Same with taxation questions - only the rich who are for less taxes are apparently not hypocrites.

I'm surprised to see Dr Caleb fall in with you here, I thought he was smarter than that.

You're misreading me. I'm saying that the people who want everyone else to eschew oil should lead the way and do so themselves.

Otherwise they're not unlike the preachers who denounce adultery all while cheating on their wives.

OnTheIce @ Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:46 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:

When hybrid tech is the same or similar price point to mainsteam vehicles, I'll give them a look. Until then all they are is a niche product, small and expensive.

Nor can you pack up a family and take them anywhere long distance in a compact car. It's tight and uncomfortable.

Hybrid tech or EV tech like the Volt is the same and well beyond your typical compact car.

I'm guessing you've never driven a Volt nor are you familiar with pricing. While being a little more expensive than a comparable sedan to purchase, you don't have the frequent expense of gasoline. We fill up the Volt maybe once every 4 months.

I take my son and daughter to hockey on the week-end and we have room for two hockey bags, sticks and the 3 of us...and the front passenger seat is vacant. Size isn't an issue.

BartSimpson @ Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:47 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:

Especially since you won't get past Ohio. XD

andyt @ Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:06 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
andyt andyt:
So only gas hogs get a voice in this discussion? How convenient. Same with taxation questions - only the rich who are for less taxes are apparently not hypocrites.

I'm surprised to see Dr Caleb fall in with you here, I thought he was smarter than that.

You're misreading me. I'm saying that the people who want everyone else to eschew oil should lead the way and do so themselves.

Otherwise they're not unlike the preachers who denounce adultery all while cheating on their wives.

I don't know people like that. There are people who want us to use less oil, I'm one of them. You're reducing an argument to absurdity and then knocking it down as a straw man - fun for you I guess.

Actually let me rephrase that. I guess I know or have heard about people like that. People who think we can live in some sort of environmental Eden but maintain the the population we have now at a similar material standard of living. I just see those people as less of a problem than the dinosaurs represented by your statement. Although, gee, if we could make oil out of those dinosaurs, paradoxically they would contribute to us being able to continue our fuel wasting ways a little longer.

OnTheIce @ Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:13 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:

Especially since you won't get past Ohio. XD

Yea, because EV's are burning up all over the place! :roll:

EyeBrock @ Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:17 pm

I used to be able to get 5 drunken Brits in an Austin Mini. The car remained small.

I think it's great that people want to buy hybrids/lekkie cars. I also think windmills look serene but it's quite obvious neither are ready for prime-time quite yet.

BartSimpson @ Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:02 pm

What I don't get are the sh*t-for-brains who attribute magical properties to hybrids. I was on the radio a few years back with some schmutz who thought that a Toyota Prius that got 41mpg was somehow more efficient than a Geo Metro that got 53mpg. He just could not get it through his teensy little mind that 41 is less than 53.

Gunnair @ Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:24 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
What I don't get are the sh*t-for-brains who attribute magical properties to hybrids. I was on the radio a few years back with some schmutz who thought that a Toyota Prius that got 41mpg was somehow more efficient than a Geo Metro that got 53mpg. He just could not get it through his teensy little mind that 41 is less than 53.

English lit major. My minor in English lit means I have a hard time with numbers as well.

OnTheIce @ Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:22 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
I think it's great that people want to buy hybrids/lekkie cars. I also think windmills look serene but it's quite obvious neither are ready for prime-time quite yet.

And you're welcome to your opinion.

I think that opinion would change if you had experience with any of the vehicles you claim aren't ready for prime-time.

herbie @ Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:50 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

And the Metro's half the car.
Almost every taxi fleet I've seen is mostly Prius now. They used to be ALL propane powered.

Guy_Fawkes @ Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:03 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
OnTheIce OnTheIce:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:
Battery power and hybrids just aren't there yet. Endex.

Sure they are. Are they evolving? Sure...and they'll only get better.

I drive a Chevy Volt for a week or so every month and this car is incredible!

I drive to and from work, 60km on a single charge and if I need to go further that day, the generator kicks in and uses very little gas to charge the batteries as you drive. All this in a car that's "normal" and doesn't look like a red headed step-child of a car. Holds 4 people and crap in the back all with AC, Navigation and all the toys. Even heated seats!

Last time I ran out of juice and the generator kicked on it was 1.1L/100km.

You should check out the Fusion Hybrids, $60 bucks for a full tank which gets me on average 1030 Km.

Now the downside is you cant fold the back seat down, since that's where the batteries are stored. It's a small price to pay for paying less $$ per mile.

Previous  1  2  3  4