Canada Kicks Ass
Apple Users: Hold off on installing iOS 10 on Apple phones

BartSimpson @ Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:47 pm

We've been testing it today and it either bricks the phone or makes it impossible to use anything from iTunes.

Give Apple a little time to fix it and it should be fine, I'm sure.

xerxes @ Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:47 pm

Always do. I also always back up my iphone before any big update. A few updates ago I upgraded, and while my phone worked after, everything on it got wiped. I was exceptionally annoyed...

housewife @ Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:16 pm

I haven't figured out all that I have now and they want to change it already. I really hate new stuff.

Tricks @ Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:37 pm

DrCaleb @ Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:23 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
We've been testing it today and it either bricks the phone or makes it impossible to use anything from iTunes.

You say that like it's a bad thing . . .

[angel]

BartSimpson @ Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:16 am

Hahaha!

It's the big deal on the news here this morning and it was fun to see the local news interviewing pussy Millennials who are "mourning" the loss of their phones and they don't know how they'll cope. :roll:

BRAH @ Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:19 am

Another reason for Android or BlackBerry.

DrCaleb @ Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:47 am

BRAH BRAH:

Alas, Blackberry stopped making their own phones, and are moving to Android to run them.

And Android is powered by leveraging the people who use it as advertising targets. No better than Apple. :(

Lemmy @ Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:29 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
And Android is powered by leveraging the people who use it as advertising targets. No better than Apple. :(

Worse. The only advertising that I ever see on my iPhone comes through the BBM app.

Public_Domain @ Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:41 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BRAH BRAH:

Alas, Blackberry stopped making their own phones, and are moving to Android to run them.

The only upshot is that Android is just open enough that many phones can have the operating system completely replaced.

Sadly mine can not, fucking Canadian versions of everything have little to no support it seems. But there's rooting and deleting bloatware and some suspicious shit, so at least there's that.

DrCaleb @ Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:03 am

Public_Domain Public_Domain:
Sadly mine can not, fucking Canadian versions of everything have little to no support it seems. But there's rooting and deleting bloatware and some suspicious shit, so at least there's that.

Google also changed their application URLs from maps.google.com to www.google.com/maps, so if you want to use location services only with Google Maps, you can't. You have to allow all of Google permission to access it, and things like Google Play or Google Store can give themselves access or turn location services back on if you turn it off.

I'm personally sick and tired of companies thinking this private data collection is a one way street.

Public_Domain @ Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:35 am

You can uninstall many of the Google apps entirely without breaking the phone, including maps.

I have a modded play store... :twisted: And use LuckyPatcher to disable intrusive permissions where I can. Big name stuff it obviosuly causes the app to break, but it's very useful for sanitizing small apps of ads and privacy invasion. Some actions can be done that are of questionabĺe legality too, very interesting app.

There are much better ways if I was completely serious about making the device secure, but these tools are helpful.

Also: prism-break.org

BRAH @ Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:47 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BRAH BRAH:

BlackBerry 10 had bugs as did the previous versions when they didn't keep up with the evolving market. Their hardware is their bread and butter, if they can run an quality Android powered BlackBerry with a qwerty keyboard I'm sold. [B-o]