Canada Kicks Ass
Apple Will Face Pressure to Store More Customer Data in Chin

Scape @ Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:23 pm

Apple Will Face Pressure to Store More Customer Data in China Under New Laws

$1:
Apple could be the next target of new Chinese government rules forcing U.S. companies to store more user data in the country, analysts and legal experts say. Those rules have so far forced Tesla to store local driver data in China and contributed to LinkedIn pulling back from its operations there.

Legal experts say Chinese authorities are likely to pressure Apple to store more data about its Chinese users in China, where local law enforcement officials can potentially access it. But that could put Apple in a bind. If Apple complies with the new rules, it could face increased criticism from U.S. lawmakers and human rights activists for making it easier for Chinese authorities to surveil their citizens.

DrCaleb @ Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:08 pm

Stop collecting people's data. Problem solved. You are welcome.

Scape @ Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:13 pm

Supply chain says no. You want the cheap China train going Apple will either need to budge on this or move their production lines. My money is on they do both. One to bid time and the other to maintain brand.

DrCaleb @ Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:22 pm

I don't, and never will, use a modern Apple product. The only Apple thing I own is a Newton.

raydan @ Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:30 pm

The only Apple thing I own is an apple.

Scape @ Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:32 pm

To that I would say, especially with China encroaching on farming out the metadata, Apple needs to double down on the privacy aspect of their brand and start doing external audits and publicly post the results. Branding is all about trust and the only way to earn that is through actions. If Apple says your personal information is a priority then they need to do more to show that. I hope they do. If they don't I can see their stock tank.