Canada Kicks Ass
Elementary OS

BRAH @ Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:27 pm

Elementary OS

$1:
By being Open Source, elementary OS can benefit from superior security and privacy over closed source software. When the source code is available to audit, anyone in the community — whether a security researcher, a concerned user, or an OEM shipping the OS on their hardware — can ensure the software is secure and not collecting or leaking personal information.

https://elementary.io/

Thinking of replacing Windows 10 Pro on my Laptop with Elementary OS, good or bad idea?

Tricks @ Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:40 pm

Any linux experience?

BRAH @ Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:33 pm

Nope, so if I install it I’m screwed? :lol:

Tricks @ Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:18 pm

It looks like they've tried to make it as close to osx as they can but you might still need to use some real linux based stuff. I.e. if you want to install something that isn't in their "app center" you're going to be using terminal. Not that that is bad, terminal is great for many things, but if you're unfamiliar with it, there will be a bit of learning curve.

Tricks @ Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:20 pm

Also, you're likely not going to be able to use things that are made for windows (unless you run stuff through wine), and have to use largely open source variants. So instead of office, you'll do open or libre office. Thunderbird instead of outlook. If you're used to more closed source mainstream software, those will result in a bit of learning curve as well. I would say less of one than terminal though.

herbie @ Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:08 pm

$1:
not going to be able to use things that are made for windows

Usually I'd respond "So who the fuck wants to ruin a good OS with Windows programs"?
In this case, I don't know shit about Elementary. Looks much like the Mint installs I added Docky to.

Tricks @ Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:56 am

herbie herbie:
$1:

Usually I'd respond "So who the fuck wants to ruin a good OS with Windows programs"?
In this case, I don't know shit about Elementary. Looks much like the Mint installs I added Docky to.

Well if someone regularly uses a program that isn't on Linux, probably that person?

stratos @ Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:42 am

BRAH keep us updated on how this works for you. A year or so from now I might be looking at doing something similar.

raydan @ Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:57 am

Tricks Tricks:
herbie herbie:
$1:

Well if someone regularly uses a program that isn't on Linux, probably that person?

2 partitions and Dual-Booting operating systems.

BartSimpson @ Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:59 am

I'd just run it from a bootable USB and leave Windows native on the HDD. I do the same thing with my Kali Linux and my WarBox operating systems.

Tricks @ Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:30 am

raydan raydan:
2 partitions and Dual-Booting operating systems.

Yep, definitely a possibility.

BRAH @ Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:25 pm

The best thing might be to pick up a refurbished laptop and install Elementary. That way it becomes a brick no loss.

Tricks @ Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:41 pm

BRAH BRAH:
The best thing might be to pick up a refurbished laptop and install Elementary. That way it becomes a brick no loss.

Hard for it to become a brick, can always install windows again. Windows 10 saves the key to the bios so you should always be able to reinstall the original version.