Canada Kicks Ass
F*** Apple, Google & Microsoft!

1  2  Next

BRAH @ Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:26 pm

$1:
Updates to Chrome platform support
Tuesday, November 10, 2015
Earlier this year, we announced that Google Chrome would continue support for Windows XP through the remainder of 2015. At that time, we strongly encouraged users on older, unsupported platforms such as Windows XP to update to a supported, secure operating system. Such older platforms are missing critical security updates and have a greater potential to be infected by viruses and malware.

Today, we’re announcing the end of Chrome’s support for Windows XP, as well as Windows Vista, and Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8, since these platforms are no longer actively supported by Microsoft and Apple. Starting April 2016, Chrome will continue to function on these platforms but will no longer receive updates and security fixes.
If you are still on one of these unsupported platforms, we encourage you to move to a newer operating system to ensure that you continue to receive the latest Chrome versions and features.
Posted by Marc Pawliger, Director of Engineering and Early Notifier

http://chrome.blogspot.ca/2015/11/updates-to-chrome-platform-support.html

Thanos @ Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:34 pm

XP? I thought that went out of style at the same time as the old Victrola. :mrgreen:

herbie @ Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:51 pm

Linux Mint & Firefox?

OnTheIce @ Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:55 am

If you're still using XP, say hi to Fred Flintstone when you see him at the office.

DrCaleb @ Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:47 am

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
If you're still using XP, say hi to Fred Flintstone when you see him at the office.

XP still has some uses. Even Windows 2000 I've seen running in a production environment recently. There is a lot of software in use that was written by companies that long since have disappeared. Software that controls things like printing presses, CNC machining tools, or houses proprietary databases written in FoxPro that was written by some summer student who didn't leave behind the code so someone could update it in the future. Software critical for the running of a company, that doesn't run on anything besides XP.

It's perfectly secure, so long as it's never connected to the Internet.

That said, Chrome will simply not be updated on XP any more. Updates for XP stopped quite some time ago, and how long should a company like Google provide free updates for a free product?

BRAH @ Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:38 am

When Google tells users they have to update to the latest Apple and Microsoft products it's cash grab, the same thing Apple does with their IPads & IPhones. When Apple rolls out an update the to latest version of IOS it starts to get buggy because you need to update to the latest hardware.

DrCaleb @ Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:55 am

BRAH BRAH:
When Google tells users they have to update to the latest Apple and Microsoft products it's cash grab, the same thing Apple does with their IPads & IPhones. When you update the to latest version of IOS it starts to get buggy because you need to update to the latest hardware.

Updating iOS is risky on older hardware.

But Microsoft is positioning Windows 10 to be the last major revision of Windows. All updates will simply add or remove functionality as they are available. And the basic version will always be free.

But Windows XP is 32 bit, and there is no direct path to upgrade to Windows 10, which is 64 bit. :( You'd have to install a 'clean' copy of Windows 10 to upgrade.

BRAH @ Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:12 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BRAH BRAH:
When Google tells users they have to update to the latest Apple and Microsoft products it's cash grab, the same thing Apple does with their IPads & IPhones. When you update the to latest version of IOS it starts to get buggy because you need to update to the latest hardware.

Updating iOS is risky on older hardware.

But Microsoft is positioning Windows 10 to be the last major revision of Windows. All updates will simply add or remove functionality as they are available. And the basic version will always be free.

But Windows XP is 32 bit, and there is no direct path to upgrade to Windows 10, which is 64 bit. :( You'd have to install a 'clean' copy of Windows 10 to upgrade.

When the Apple hardware is 1 to 2 years old and the IOS update is buggy and you need to update to the latest hardware, ugh.

I am running Windows 7 Professional and after reading the reviews I refuse to update to 10 because I would be updating to a basic operating system. My 2007 runs XP Media Centre edition which was one of the best operatimg system Microsoft made to bad they didn't follow it up until Windows 7.

Apple, I am running Snow Leopard which I still recieve updates for, hell last year I had an update for my 2000 Pismo Powerbook that runs tiger so Google doing this is a cash grab of trying to push consumers to Chromebooks.

The BlackBerry Playbook still works flawlessly, just saying.

DrCaleb @ Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:25 am

BRAH BRAH:
When the Apple hardware is 1 to 2 years old and the IOS update is buggy and you need to update to the latest hardware, ugh.

That's Apple's cycle though. Update often, ignore backwards compatibility. Backwards compatibility is Microsoft's strength, but also allows a lot of security holes in the process. It's just the philosophical difference in their strategies.

BRAH BRAH:
I am running Windows 7 Professional and after reading the reviews I refuse to update to 10 because I would be updating to a basic operating system. My 2007 runs XP Media Centre edition which was one of the best operatimg system Microsoft made to bad they didn't follow it up until Windows 7.

I agree, XP Media Center was great! I used it with my Happauge TV tuner, it was my go-to PC. Then the cable company went all digital, and the tuner card is only good for FM radio. :( Now the same PC runs Windows 7 Home edition, and my gaming system is Windows 7 Ultimate.

BRAH BRAH:
Apple, I am running Snow Leopard which I still recieve updates for, hell last year I had an update for my 2000 Pismo Powerbook that runs tiger so Google doing this is a cash grab of trying to push consumers to Chromebooks.

I won't go for a chromebook for the same reason I won't do Windows 10. Privacy. :x They are a cool idea, poorly implemented IMHO.

BRAH BRAH:
The BlackBerry Playbook still works flawlessly, just saying.

R=UP A vastly underrated tablet! I've just got an old Asus Android book. It does the job.

BartSimpson @ Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:05 am

OnTheIce OnTheIce:

One of my boxes at home runs Windows 98.

Why?

Security through obscurity. No one's writing viruses, Trojans, or malware for it.

It's useless for cruising the net, but that's not what I use it for.

PluggyRug @ Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:46 am

There are many people who do not want to change.

BRAH @ Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:47 am

Privacy issues, I recently entered the phone number of a coworker in my Android Note4 and a day later my Facebook and LinkedIn suggested her as a contact and friend. It's not the first time this has happened. 8O

DrCaleb @ Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:59 am

BRAH BRAH:
Privacy issues, I recently entered the phone number of a coworker in my Android Note4 and a day later my Facebook and LinkedIn suggested her as a contact and friend. It's not the first time this has happened. 8O

Many apps like the Linkedin and Facebook apps will ask for permission to read your phone and texting history and contact lists when they are installed, usually as a blanket permission question. Blackberry actually lists these permissions one by one, so you can confirm or deny access on a case-by-case basis. Not a big surprise there that they send that history to themselves and use it to gather more information about you.

I think that's one reason that Linkedin and Facebook stopped supporting the Blackberry version of their apps. It's also the reason I don't have many apps on my BBs. Many fail to install when you deny them those permissions. ;)

DrCaleb @ Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:01 am

PluggyRug PluggyRug:

One man's resistance is another man's inductance. ;)

PluggyRug @ Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:19 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
PluggyRug PluggyRug:

One man's resistance is another man's inductance. ;)

Or reactance or reluctance. It's more effective when alternating. :wink:

1  2  Next