Canada Kicks Ass
Viral infections and computer help.

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 ... 12  Next

jeff744 @ Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:04 pm

Regina Regina:
I've had similar problems and oddly enough it's the router/modem that is the culprit. Just unplug them both for a minute and it all starts working again. Happens to me about every two months. I'm pretty sure it's the modem because my router is brand new. You need to unplug both at the same time though. Works for me.

I have had similar issues when I added a router to my network, I cut it out for one of them modems with 4 slots and never had the issue again.

Tricks @ Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:02 pm

How many things attached to the router? What kind of router? How far away? If you reset the router does it reconnect fine? Does it only happen under load or randomly?

xerxes @ Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:35 am

It's very random and the last time it happened, it was just after my pc booted up.

I have a wi-fi modem though I use a wired Ethernet connection for my PC and I use the wireless for my printer and consoles. Trust me, unplugging the modem was the first thing I've tried and that didn't fix it. It reconnects fine but still no connection.

Tricks @ Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:01 am

Ah ok so it's a combo modem router?

xerxes @ Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:13 pm

Right.

BartSimpson @ Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:21 pm

herbie herbie:
Win7 is also not Speedy Gonzales when it comes to connecting to new networks or changed networks. I got so sick of that spinning blue circle for ten minutes before you could do anything and put our work laptops back to XP.

Hmm. I've had quite the opposite experience. We're using Win 7 clients with Server R2 SP1 on a 1000 network and things are tons faster than with XP/2003.

I'm wondering, are you using 64 bit or 32 bit? The 32 bit tends to suck mostly because it gets to run on old equipment that doesn't have much RAM.

Our standard machine in the office right now is the HP Z600/620 with one four core I5 processor and 12GB RAM in 64 bit W7 and I get no complaints at all. For laptops we have a few Lenovos but mostly we use the HP EliteBook tablets with 8GB RAM and, again, no complaints on speed (but these machine keep failing their hard drives).

Tricks @ Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:00 pm

xerxes xerxes:
Right.

What kind? Got a model number?

xerxes @ Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:12 pm

Cisco. Model #DPC3825

herbie @ Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:10 pm

Almost suspect your ISP or router is limited in the number of simultaneous connections. Next time it happens try to ping something on the net. If your ping time sux, turn off torrents and try again. If it's way better, it's probably that.

Tricks @ Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:30 pm

xerxes xerxes:
Cisco. Model #DPC3825

Seems like a fairly common issue, problem with router/modem combos are they are generally pretty terrible. Especially if you get one with low memory on it, it can't handle a lot of connections. Is it only dropping the PC connection but the consoles stay on? If so, that's probably the issue, the Router doesn't have enough RAM to support the amount of connections to it, and it's dropping the most recent connection. Recommendation is to turn it into a bridge and attach a decent router from newegg/tigerdirect/canada computers.

If all connections are dropping, then you might have a wonky unit.

xerxes @ Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:37 pm

Interesting. Thanks for the info and the tip. Much appreciated!

herbie @ Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:09 pm

We use routers here that limit you to 60 simultaneous TCP connections, the ones that feed your router at home. For the twats who like to queue up 50 movies on their torrent list and hog everyone else's bandwidth.
What you're experiencing is exactly what happens when they try.

Also exactly what happens when someone buys a big pipe and calls me to their motel. I find eight tree planters in just one room trying to fill up their playlists and watch netflix all at the same time - and the cheap fucking hotel is serving 50 rooms with a $79 Cisco they bought at Staples.

Tyler_1 @ Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:37 pm

My littlest pudding spilled my water in my keyboard a while back.
It doesn't work anymore but my trackpad thingie still does so I just plugged in another keyboard.

Also my oldest pudding got really messed up this summer by a coyote, or a dog or some other wild beast. He mostly recovered but he has a bad leg now.

His name is Marble and he has now decided he wants to do this whenever he can.

cat warmer.jpg

I think the heat from it feels good on his leg so I want to be able to let him keep doing it.

So just to make sure I wanted to ask you guys... since cats give off a lot of heat too, could this overheat my laptop? Should I put some checkers or something under it to give it more air flow? I don't want it to die just because I like a warm pussy. :D

Brenda @ Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:51 pm

Oh Donna :lol: :lol:

Tyler_1 @ Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:57 pm

Brenda Brenda:
Oh Donna :lol: :lol:

Cats rule but I only have one laptop. :?

I feel I do need some serious help here. :D

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 ... 12  Next